Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
jrvariel48

Default T5- From 59 to 8BA

I'll be installing a blown 8BA into my 35 coupe this fall. I have a 59 motor in there now with a Cornhuskers adapter to a 1993 WC T5 trans.

Here's my questions:

Which trans. adapter will be correct for a 1993 WC T5 trans, which has a Ford bolt pattern, to the 8BA?

Will the measurement between the motor and trans. be the same for the 8BA as the 59 motor? I'm thinking I may have to move the trans forward or back to make this happen.

I know I need to use truck water pumps, but will the crank/blower pulley interfere with the cross member?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
51504bat

Default Re: T5- From 59 to 8BA

You can use a truck hogshead 1/2 bell housing and then an adapter from Model Engineering Company to bolt the Ford bolt pattern T-5 to the 8ba.

http://www.modelengineeringco.com/
3136 Manchester Road
Akron, Ohio 44319
Phone: (330) 644-3450
Fax: (330) 644-0088

Old 12-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
V8COOPMAN

I may be speaking out of my butt here, and if so, will soon be corrected, but.......if you're already adapted to the rear of a 59, a '49-early '51 Merc half bell like shown below (or the cast truck bell) should be all that is needed to bolt your current trans adapter to the 8BA. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I was just getting ready to post the same thing as V8COOPMAN, if you already have the Cornhusker adapter why not use it, the steel stamped 8ba adapter has the same pattern as the 59a.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I may be speaking out of my butt here, and if so, will soon be corrected, but.......if you're already adapted to the rear of a 59, a '49-early '51 Merc half bell like shown below (or the cast truck bell) should be all that is needed to bolt your current trans adapter to the 8BA. DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I was just getting ready to post the same thing as V8COOPMAN, if you already have the Cornhusker adapter why not use it, the steel stamped 8ba adapter has the same pattern as the 59a.
If I use the Cornhuskers, will it add any length to the complete set-up?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
One last thing; if you have to purchase the Mercury or truck bell housing, make sure you get the proper starter plate that goes with it. A lot of folks saved the bell housing but not the starter plate and they can be hard to find at times.

The Cornhusker adapter makes the front of the T5 an analog of the front of an early ford transmission. The new bell housing is the same length as the extended bell on an early flathead so the length should be the same. With the proper factory parts, this should be a simple bolt up.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
If I use the Cornhuskers, will it add any length to the complete set-up?
The Merc bell essentially makes the rear of an 8BA-type block identical (dimensionally) to a 59 block. Hot rodders have been using the Merc bell for 65 years to bolt old Ford transmissions to the newer ('49-'53) blocks. Think about it. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Krylon32

I'd like to post on here but any advise I would give is considered by some as advertising. Gary at Cornhusker
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

C'mon Gary.....YOUR advice is valuable here, especially in view of the original adapter being discussed. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
jrvariel48

Quote:
C'mon Gary.....YOUR advice is valuable here, especially in view of the original adapter being discussed. DD
Absolutely!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I'd like to post on here but any advise I would give is considered by some as advertising. Gary at Cornhusker
I for one would like any input you have!!
Old 12-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
No way! I can use any advice I can get from anyone willing to give it. I can tell anyone from my own experience you know what you are talking about.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
TomT/Williamsburg

You said you have an adapter for a 93 WC T5 - does it have the "H" bolt pattern as in the S10 or the Camaro/Ford bolt pattern? If you have the Camaro/Ford, all you need is the intermediate bellhousing and starter plate for the back of the 8BA and you are golden. depending on your spline pattern, set yourself up with the proper clutch disc and now you have to think about a t-out bearing. If you use the snout from the S10 you can use the stock setup as in a 39-40 Ford. Or, you can stay with the Camaro/Ford snout and maybe use a hydraulic t-out bearing? Either way you can stay with your 10" flywheel and p-plate (assuming that's what it is). There is no issue with distances changing - both of the setups put your clutch setup in the right location. Just a matter of what clutch pedal/throwout bearing you'd like to use and matching all of the coordinating parts.

I apologize if I stepped on any toes and Gary, please PM V8Coopman with anything I've said that is incorrect or can be further clarified.

V8Coopman I cannot comment on the blower pulley but I know there are a couple Barners that have blown flatties in 35-40 cars but I cannot recall their names. You can also check in on Joe Arbin's flathead book and/or contact him with regard to your pulley question. He is big into the blown flatties.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

TomT/W.......I'm only involved in that I suggested that the OP is ALMOST "there" with his original Cornhusker adapter, only needing the Merc bell to consumate the new marriage. Where is Gary? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

Ol' Coop has it, you don't have to do anythimg except get a merc or truck bell housing for the 8BA and bolt up all that 59 stuff to it. You must use a late flywheel the 59 won't work. Other than that your golden. It'll drop right into the same place.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #16
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
TomT/W.......I'm only involved in that I suggested that the OP is ALMOST "there" with his original Cornhusker adapter, only needing the Merc bell to consumate the new marriage. Where is Gary? DD
Ooops - sorry! After re-reading the posts I realized my mistake. I apologize ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #17
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
You said you have an adapter for a 93 WC T5 - does it have the "H" bolt pattern as in the S10 or the Camaro/Ford bolt pattern? If you have the Camaro/Ford, all you need is the intermediate bellhousing and starter plate for the back of the 8BA and you are golden. depending on your spline pattern, set yourself up with the proper clutch disc and now you have to think about a t-out bearing. If you use the snout from the S10 you can use the stock setup as in a 39-40 Ford. Or, you can stay with the Camaro/Ford snout and maybe use a hydraulic t-out bearing? Either way you can stay with your 10" flywheel and p-plate (assuming that's what it is). There is no issue with distances changing - both of the setups put your clutch setup in the right location. Just a matter of what clutch pedal/throwout bearing you'd like to use and matching all of the coordinating parts.

I apologize if I stepped on any toes and Gary, please PM V8Coopman with anything I've said that is incorrect or can be further clarified.

V8Coopman I cannot comment on the blower pulley but I know there are a couple Barners that have blown flatties in 35-40 cars but I cannot recall their names. You can also check in on Joe Arbin's flathead book and/or contact him with regard to your pulley question. He is big into the blown flatties.

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress....
Thanks for the info Tom! I have the Ford pattern.

Anyone have this set-up for sale!?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

"Anyone have this set-up for sale!?"

What are you missing? You don't have your original set-up? If you have the 59a parts all you need is the steel stamped Ford adapter ring. Only other issue I can think of is if your pressure plate doesn't match the flywheel that the flywheel would need to be re-drilled.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #19
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
"Anyone have this set-up for sale!?"

What are you missing? You don't have your original set-up? If you have the 59a parts all you need is the steel stamped Ford adapter ring. Only other issue I can think of is if your pressure plate doesn't match the flywheel that the flywheel would need to be re-drilled.
I need the adapter ring. Unless the bellhouse that's in the picture will work.
That's the one the motor came with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpIPiNccAM.jpg (57.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg phpFh7RywAM.jpg (61.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

That is in fact an 8BA type bellhousing, but this is the first mention of IT in this thread.

Before we go any further, how is your current clutch disengaged? Is it actuated via an arm on the Cornhuskers adapter? You need to think about how the clutch will be controlled on your new set-up. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE