Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Ian Curtis

Default Olympic Peninsula Trip Log

On the beach near Neah Bay

This past Sunday, a friend was getting married in Poulsbo on the other side of the sound. So, my wife & I used it as an opportunity for an “A”dventure all the way across the Olympic Peninsula. It was in a 4 day trip (partial Friday/Monday, all Saturday/Sunday) of at least 360 miles. The longest single day was about 150 miles, which has given me a new found respect for folks who go long distance touring and do 250+ a day. We had a box full of spares and enough oil for an entire oil change, but in the end we only needed about a quart of the oil.

Map of the 350+ mile trip

Day 1

Easy 80 Miles Day 1, Plus a Ferry

We left Snohomish around 1:30 PM on a Friday and made our way down to Edmonds to take the ferry across the Sound. Ferry wait times can be extensive at peak travel times (like Friday afternoons), so we ended up waiting in line for about 1.5 hours. We were one of the last vehicles to make it on board that boat, which was nice because it let all of the traffic get out ahead of us at Kingston on the other side of the Sound.

All packed just prior to departure. We did later adjust the rope so all the rain didn't drip into the bed!

Ferry Traffic

On the Boat!

From Kingston we drove along SR 104 towards the Hood Canal bridge (the world's longest floating bridge!). After we made it over the bridge, we took side roads north along the coast until they merged back into the main road. These side roads were much hillier than I had assumed looking on the map, but on the plus side there wasn't much traffic and none of those obnoxious hidden stop signs on steep downhill slopes. We made it to Port Townsend around 5, and after sampling some local brews & stopping at the grocery store we made our way to a local campground where we spent the night.

Camping in Port Townsend

Day 2

130 Miles
The next morning after coffee we stopped at a local sporting goods store to pick up some sleeping pads, having neglected to purchase them previously & suffering through that choice the previous night. Then, we were on the road towards Neah Bay, the north-western most tip of Washington State. Coming down SR 20 towards SR 101 was a busy but pleasant drive, we passed a large collection of Crosleys (?!) in a coffee shop parking lot. On 101 towards Sequim was decidedly less pleasant, only one lane each way, speed limit of 55, and enough of a gradient that the A wasn't quite keeping up with traffic. Just as we arrived at Sequim the MotoMeter temperature began to increase uncomfortably, so we elected to pull off into Sequim for a break. Oddly, as we pulled off & crept through traffic in town the MotoMeter temperature fell back into the normal range. It has done this a few times now (after about an hour of highway driving it gets real hot, and then cools down when you slow down without doing anything else), and it just doesn't really make sense to me. We took a 10 minute break in a parking lot anyways, and we were back on the road.

The stretch of 101 from Sequim to Port Angeles is delightful. The speed limit is 55, but the road is relatively flat and two lanes each way. In Port Angeles we stopped at the Rangers Station to get a permit for overnight camping at Shi Shi (pronounced Shy Shy) Beach, and to rent a required bear/raccoon canister to keep the critters away. There was just a short jaunt more on 101 before we got off on SR 112, which follows the coast along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The beginning was a very pleasant drive, not too much traffic & an incredible number of classic cars driving the other direction, including another Model A Pickup! When we reached the town of Joyce, it looks like they were having some sort of fair/festival, so probably they were leaving a car show there. We continued along 112, which drops some occasional views until we reached Clallam Bay, where we stopped for gas. After that, the road gets real fun! It snakes along the water's edge, with a twist and turn what seems like every 200 feet.

Screenshot from Google Maps of the typical curves on SR 112

After what seems like an eternity with no power steering, you burst out onto the Makah Reservation into the town of Neah Bay. We stopped in town to pick up a Reservation required parking pass (the beach itself is part of the National Park, but the parking near the trailhead is on the Reservation). Then, we were off to Cape Flattery, which is the north-western-most corner of the lower 48. After a short hike down and back to the viewpoint, we hopped back in the A for a 10 mile drive to the parking lot for Shi Shi Beach. The overnight parking lot is actually someone's lawn, and there is a small fee for them watching over the vehicle over-night. We talked for a while to the guy manning the booth, he said we were the oldest car he'd ever seen parked there (he'd seen '50s stuff before), and had actually gone to school in Snohomish back in the day. Then, we donned our packs for a ~3 mile hike down to the beach.

All of our stuff in the back at the parking lot.

The beach itself is truly out of this world. My phone was dead, so I've included a picture a much better photographers than me took. There was some rain over the evening, but we still got a small fire going with collected driftwood and had some S'Mores.

Shi Shi Beach

Day 3

150 Miles

The next morning we got up early (6:30AM) to look for water to make coffee with. We didn't find the source (it was farther down the beach than we ventured), but it was still a gorgeous walk. Then, we packed up camp by 8 and started hiking back towards the trailhead. We made it out by 9:30, and were on our way out of Neah Bay by 10. We elected to take SR 113 down to US 101 on the way back. This turned out to be a mistake. SR 113 was hilly, but traffic was very light so the drive was still pleasant. Once we were on US 101, traffic picked up significantly, the weather went downhill (a very heavy drizzle), and the speed limit was 60 MPH on a two lane highway. Conveniently for us, there was an even slower camper behind us that kept traffic back.

We made it Lake Crescent, where the road gets windy and the speed limit slows to a much more enjoyable 35 MPH. The scenery is gorgeous, but the road is so twisty I spent most of my time staring at the road in front of me.

Someone else's picture of 101 along Crescent Lake

After Crescent Lake, we continued on 101 into Port Angeles, where we stopped back at the Olympic National Park Visitor Center to drop off our bear canister & grab gas and lunch. Then it was back on the road towards Poulsbo, where our friends' wedding was at 5 PM. Again, the stretch of 101 between Port Angeles and Sequim was quite pleasant, as was the rest of 101 towards SR 104. Between 101 & the Hood Canal Bridge, SR104 turned out to be a road not designed with a stock Model A in mind. The hills were long and steep, and the speed limit was 60 MPH. The first hill climb had two lanes, so we chugged along at 35 or so while the modern cars flew by in the passing lane and the temperature on the MotoMeter steadily climbed. At the top of the hill, the MotoMeter was pegged but it cooled down on the way back down the hill. A few hill climbs later we hit a traffic back up from the Hood Canal Bridge, and from there it was smooth sailing to Poulsbo. The wedding was fantastic, and the next morning we drove to Kingston to take the ferry back to the east side of the Sound.

Day 4, 50 miles to home!

I had brought a plethora of spare parts, and in the end all that was required was a bit of electrical tape & a quart of oil. I will be replacing the headlight socket on the right side, as it is intermittently shorting as the contacts touch & must be separated with a bit of electrical tape.

Previous Trips
Sauk Mountain
Chuckanut Drive
Spada Lake
Mountain Loop Highway
Old 08-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: Olympic Peninsula Trip Log

Thank you for the fine description of your adventure. I would love to take that trip someday soon My nearest adventure was a trip down Highway 1 in Cali with my 30 Coupe and my sons. Truly yours was a beautiful trip.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Gary WA

Nice Trip. Glad you made it safe! Now get ready for another trip.!!! Fun Hey!!! Thanks for the story and photos'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final club sticker.jpg (50.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Likely the most comprehensive write up I have ever read on this site, you have great communication skills. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
Synchro909

I hope this trip is not your last, better still, that is an appetiser. Log trips are fun in the Model A and like I say, "The cars will do it if we give them a chance."
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #6
cradlescyth

Thanks for sharing trip. Felt as though I went along.
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

Wow beautiful scenery!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

What a trip!...Hope to do it sometime ourselves.

Thanks for sharing!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
Art Newland

WOW! you guys are intrepid souls! Life long memories made for sure. We live in a stunning part of the country, don't we? My longest journey in one day so far is only about 45 miles, I still call them my "tours" because they are to me! It takes some time to get confident in your A, and to spent time getting things checked over to make sure you are prepared. We have driven much of your same route over the past few months, but in a modern auto. Funny thing is these days, I find myself thinking "oh, this would be a nice road for the Model A, or "glad I'm not trying to get my coupe up this hill" etc! Thanks again for taking the time to document your trip. Better put a gopro on your Christmas list so you can start adding video to these memories.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
larryf

Great Article. Really enjoyed.

Thanks
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
Fred K-OR

Great travel log. Yes this is one of the most beautiful parts of the country. Made a few drives in that area with out moderns but never with an A. I think I am with Art, 20 to 50 miles is a big "tour" for us.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You should be in charge of all the communications for both Model A clubs. Wayne
Old 08-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #13
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I hope this trip is not your last, better still, that is an appetiser. Log trips are fun in the Model A and like I say, "The cars will do it if we give them a chance."
Yes! Just check the fluids, hop in, and start driving! Although my Subaru is much more comfortable, you do start to miss the connection to the road & the mechanical car after being home for a day or so.

Quote:
Funny thing is these days, I find myself thinking "oh, this would be a nice road for the Model A, or "glad I'm not trying to get my coupe up this hill" etc!
I do the same thing. I'm glad I hadn't been out to the Peninsula much before, as it gave the A opportunities to prove itself on roads with traffic & speeds I wouldn't drive at home. Particularly 101 west of Port Angeles & 104 between the Hood Canal Bridge & 101. For the most part we kept up with traffic better than I would have expected, and for the one middle finger we got we received dozens of smiles and thumbs up. Sometimes you just have to smile and wave.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

WOW! what a WILD trip.
And remember, if your water temp cycles UP & DOWN, on a regular basis, you're LOW on water. A roofing nail in the overflow, prevents water loss, from splash over. Chief & Our REAL GURU, Claude, (RIP) said it's a common Old Time Fix!
Bill Not so old
Old 08-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Synchro909

I can't believe you guys don't use your cars more. What's the point of having one if you don't drive it? The longest I have done in a day is 700 miles while towing a camper.
Like I said, "The cars will do it if we give them a chance,"
The more we use them, the more the public will see them and no doubt some will join in.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #16
Art Newland

Wow synchro, is your car stock?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:52 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Wow synchro, is your car stock?
No, HC head, inserted bearings, down draft carby but that's about it. Oh, and Mitchell O/D.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #18
asapguy

Ian, we missed you guys on our trip to Marblemount last Sat. Everybody asked "where's Ian & Liz?". Now we know!! Glad you had a great trip.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
I can't believe you guys don't use your cars more. What's the point of having one if you don't drive it? The longest I have done in a day is 700 miles while towing a camper.
Like I said, "The cars will do it if we give them a chance,"
The more we use them, the more the public will see them and no doubt some will join in.
That's a 20 hour day averaging 35 mph, no stops for gas, eats or intersections. Are you sure it was 700 miles ? Wane
Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #20
Art Newland

Quote:
No, HC head, inserted bearings, down draft carby but that's about it. Oh, and Mitchell O/D.
See! You answered your own question!

My car is all stock, and a little tired, but still fun to drive... which I do almost every day.

How about you Ian? What kind of hot-rod goodies are on your pickup?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Basically nothing.

I have the Marvel-Schebler Carburetor it came with still installed... other than that it's a thorough bred. I bought a Zenith carb, but I've never bothered to actually put it together and get it on the car. Everything I read on here says the Marvel is really better anyways, other than the availability of parts.

It came with a new coil installed, but that turned out to be garbage so I went back to the ancient coil the previous owner threw in as a spare.

It's got cast iron drums & rebuilt backing plates, those are MUCH better than what it came with.

Since this picture was taken I've also switched to the 3X plugs, I like those a lot more than the pictured ones.

I do understand the appeal of a Mitchell OD & a moderately higher compression head though!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
mshmodela

Ian,

I always enjoy your road trip posts.. Thanks for taking the time to sharing your adventures!

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
Basically nothing.

I have the Marvel-Schebler Carburetor it came with still installed... other than that it's a thorough bred. I bought a Zenith carb, but I've never bothered to actually put it together and get it on the car. Everything I read on here says the Marvel is really better anyways, other than the availability of parts.

It came with a new coil installed, but that turned out to be garbage so I went back to the ancient coil the previous owner threw in as a spare.

It's got cast iron drums & rebuilt backing plates, those are MUCH better than what it came with.

Since this picture was taken I've also switched to the 3X plugs, I like those a lot more than the pictured ones.

I do understand the appeal of a Mitchell OD & a moderately higher compression head though!
Hot-rod brakes! Probably a great place to start (stop).
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #24
Synchro909

Quote:
See! You answered your own question!

My car is all stock, and a little tired, but still fun to drive... which I do almost every day.

Art,
It is only those modifications that allow me to enjoy my car the way I want. A standard motor would not have a hope. There was a bog standard motor in the same car when I got it. The best I did with that motor was about 450 miles in the day but a solo car - no towing. I can only say again, "The cars will do it if we let them".