Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Tire Dressing

Digging around on the internet, I read that tire dressings with silicone are harmful to the rubber in tires, especially those dressings with petroleum products in them.

Professional detailers recommend using a quality water base tire dressing without silicone that leaves the tire looking like fresh new rubber (no glossy shine). They also recommend that the tire be cleaned with soapy water before applying any dressing.

What tire dressing are you using?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
leo

Default Re: Tire Dressing

Hey Bob, I posted this quite some time ago:
Armorall Extreme Tire Shine GEL, put this on blackwalls a couple of years ago. Slowly began to notice the tires appeared to be checked and turned a mustard brown color. It was this product oxidizing on the surface of the tires. Had to scrub like a banshee to get the stuff off and now the tires look nice again.......
After that the mustard brown came back and it was not until I used mineral spirits which some one recommended was I able to finally remove that crap.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
katy

Quote:
What tire dressing are you using?
None, don't use it. My cars look the way they are, not dressed up for Saturday night show off.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
duke36

May want to try this stuff from Miller's. We've also used it on rubber running boards on various classics. It's water based.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Black_Tire_Paint_Qrt_NEW__21310.1402487438.pdf (16.2 KB, 148 views)
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
Werner

I used "Armor all" three or four times. Now the 1/2 year old Firestones showes fine cracks in the white flanks.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Gary WA

Armor all not good, I use Griots Vinyl and rubber on tires and tops of my A's,just my take on it!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walter dripping nose.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-20-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
whirnot

I have always used Bleche white on my whitewalls. Nothing but soap and water on the others.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
01A

I agree with Duke36 on using the M.E. Miller Black Tire Paint. I have a nice set of Firestone's that had a mustard brown color that I could not clean up or remove, seemed embedded in the rubber as a permanent stain. I used the Miller Black Tire Paint and it made the black tire look new again. If you get it on the White walls wipe it off before it sets in. It's water based so will wipe off if you get it immediately, however if your intent is to turn your white walls into black walls it will do that after 3 or four coats. I've done just that since the white walls were also discolored and could not be cleaned up. Now I cannot tell which side of the tire was the white side. Both sides look like a new black wall tire.
01A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
JRShaw

Smile Re: Tire Dressing

01A - Wow - Thank You!! I just got a set of '31 running boards, and there are brownish stain areas which will not scrub off, wash off or anything else. The Millers should do it for me. I had considered RIT fabric dye, but this solves the problem.
JRShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
loubob

"Eagle One Tire Shine Swipes"

Contains water & silicone

Dries to an excellent, non- shiny, finish!!!

For blackwalls only.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Bob Bidonde

I just tried Armorall Tire Cleaner with a plastic bristle brush. After 3 attempts to clean the yellowish film off of the tires each wheel, there is still traces of the yellowish stuff on the tires. However, the Armorall did remove a lot of the film, just not enough.

My next attempt will be Armorall Tire Cleaner with a Scotchbrite scrub pad or a steel wool pad if necessary.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Armor all not good, I use Griots Vinyl and rubber on tires and tops of my A's,just my take on it!!
I just googled this, and watched the video. Looks like good stuff— water-based. Too bad I didn’t read this on Friday, because I swung by Griots in Tacoma and picked up the car washing supplies donation for the regional meet in Bellevue.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
History

The best way I've found to clean tires is get stuck in wet snow. I know that sounds rediculous and I'm not seriously recommending it but I have been stuck before and it cleans the tires like new. You have to be in the right snow though and of course the tires cant hit the dirt below.

Armourall is junk as far as I'm concerned and I don't use anything on tires because most of the stuff I've tried leaves the brownish yellow crap behind later.

I might try some of the stuff mentioned.
History is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
katy

These work good for cleaning whitewalls: https://www.amazon.com/pack-Steel-Wo.../dp/B07MRKSGQB
Old 07-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Car detailers always said to stay far away from Armor All, it will ruin what you put it on. Dries out the parts and develops cracks.

I ruined a set of tires on one of our Model A's from using the stuff back in the '70's before I didn't know any better. Also ruined the dash pad on my '67 Ford Galaxie. All that AA junk was deep sixed many many years ago.

I thought that spray on silicone was OK, I'll have to look into this. I always assumed it was good for rubber I may have been wrong, thanks for the heads up.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Silicone spray messed up the A/C vents in my modern car. I should have read the instructions first, as it says NOT FOR PLASTICS.

I also like the tires natural, and would NEVER use Armor All after I was told about it back in the 70's.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Hey Bob, I posted this quite some time ago:
Armorall Extreme Tire Shine GEL, put this on blackwalls a couple of years ago. Slowly began to notice the tires appeared to be checked and turned a mustard brown color. It was this product oxidizing on the surface of the tires. Had to scrub like a banshee to get the stuff off and now the tires look nice again.......
After that the mustard brown came back and it was not until I used mineral spirits which some one recommended was I able to finally remove that crap.

"Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming. It's a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires."

https://www.utires.com/articles/tire...brown-prevent/
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #18
31 ford

This method takes a little time and is for black wall tires. First wash the tires thoroughly and allow to dry. Use a small shoe polish applicator brush and apply black shoe polish to half of the tire. Immediately buff off with a shoe polish brush. Continue same process to the other half of the tire. Result is a deep luster, not a shine. IMO it looks era appropriate and maybe how your A once displayed on Henry's show room floor.
31 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
tiger.1000

If you DON'T have whitewalls, a splash of cellulose thinners on a cloth wiped along the sidewall does a great job leaving a dull shine. Nothing better !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford new pics 040.JPG (151.7 KB, 11 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Werner

No this is not good! Nitro dilution dissolves the plasticizers in the rubbermix. In addition, degreasing reduces UV protection. Through both, the tires age faster, the flanks get cracked / become porous.

Refatting with shoe cream is well suited.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote