Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Graham Freeman

Question Oil Chex Gauge

Just finished cleaning up a 33/34 oil Chex gauge.
There are 2 terminal nuts on the top and 2 underneath.
What connects to which one?
Thanks
Graham
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Oil Chex Gauge

They are not connected internally but 2 separate gauges in one box - so to speak.For the amp(bottom 2 terminals) - its just like the amp gauge with 2 terminals.If your amp has the loop you will have to cut that wire and add terminals.For the oil pressure- one goes to the sender and the other goes to one of the amp terminals(like a jumper).Can't tell you for sure which terminal- you will have to determine that.I think its the top right when the gauge is facing you.

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-28-2019 at 02:57 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:55 AM   #3
Graham Freeman

Thanks for the response deuce lover.
After looking at the gauge (from the front) again with the face plate off there is a wire internally that runs from the top left down to the bottom left obviously the jumper you speak of.
So that means the other one at the top right goes to the oil pressure sender.
The other bottom one on the right side is the out (or in) for the amp meter depending on which way around the wires are connected.
Obviously the order they are connected means which way the gauge reads because of flow direction.
Am I correct?
Thanks Graham
Graham Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
deuce lover

Interesting.The gauge I had awhile back did not have the jumper .Yes that other terminal goes to the oil sender and the flow direction depends on how its connected.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
Digger

I will soon be installing mine, is there a diagram out there that I could d follow?
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #6
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Freeman View Post
Thanks for the response deuce lover.
After looking at the gauge (from the front) again with the face plate off there is a wire internally that runs from the top left down to the bottom left obviously the jumper you speak of.
So that means the other one at the top right goes to the oil pressure sender.
The other bottom one on the right side is the out (or in) for the amp meter depending on which way around the wires are connected.
Obviously the order they are connected means which way the gauge reads because of flow direction.
Am I correct?
Thanks Graham
Hi Graham, I have fitted one to my 1932 - 3/W Coupe quite a while ago, It works great, it has a special sender unit If you have get in touch with me if you have any problems I am in N.Z.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #7
koates

Graham, some of the already posted information is not exactly correct. The two lower and longer terminals are for the heavy ammeter wires, so on a 34 with the metal loop on the back of the original ammeter you would have to cut the wire that goes through that metal loop and fit eyelet terminals to fit the two wires on to your oil chex ammeter terminals. The two top terminals which are very short and for the oil gauge, only have the sender pressure switch wire connected to the terminal on the left side ( looking from the back or rear of the gauge). The terminal on the right is not connected to anything external, but is connected internally inside the case. It is important not to loosen this terminal because the wire inside could be damaged or broken off if you do this. I have come across several of these old gauges where the internal coil for the oil gauge is open circuit or broken and the oil drum wont work. The sender is a pressure switch which has to have normally open contacts with NO OIL PRESSURE. The contacts close when oil pressure is applied with engine running. This is opposite to oil light pressure switches. I use a TRIDON TPS 065 switch which closes its contacts at 8 PSI. It has a single terminal on top like the originals. Has 1/4 X 18 NPT fitting. If you buy another brand of switch be carefull its switching pressure is not too high. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:59 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Freeman View Post
Just finished cleaning up a 33/34 oil Chex gauge.
There are 2 terminal nuts on the top and 2 underneath.
What connects to which one?
Thanks
Graham

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Graham, some of the already posted information is not exactly correct. The two lower and longer terminals are for the heavy ammeter wires, so on a 34 with the metal loop on the back of the original ammeter you would have to cut the wire that goes through that metal loop and fit eyelet terminals to fit the two wires on to your oil chex ammeter terminals. The two top terminals which are very short and for the oil gauge, only have the sender pressure switch wire connected to the terminal on the left side ( looking from the back or rear of the gauge). The terminal on the right is not connected to anything external, but is connected internally inside the case. It is important not to loosen this terminal because the wire inside could be damaged or broken off if you do this. I have come across several of these old gauges where the internal coil for the oil gauge is open circuit or broken and the oil drum wont work. The sender is a pressure switch which has to have normally open contacts with NO OIL PRESSURE. The contacts close when oil pressure is applied with engine running. This is opposite to oil light pressure switches. I use a TRIDON TPS 065 switch which closes its contacts at 8 PSI. It has a single terminal on top like the originals. Has 1/4 X 18 NPT fitting. If you buy another brand of switch be carefull its switching pressure is not too high. Regards, Kevin.

I have an original and a repo . The original is internally wired but the repo is not and requires a live feed to the top terminal-Given that fact that even the repo is now 50 years old its hard to tell them apart . I have an original sender but I think it is dead Is is repairable ? Currently I use the same Tridon switch which works well -Karl
Old 01-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #10
koates

Karl.. The oil chex reproduction gauge manufactured by Rudolf Faltermeier some years ago is easy to tell the difference from the original oil chex gauge. The original gauge is an all metal casing whereas the repro has the two sides with a clear plastic type that you can see inside of the gauge. The original has extra writing around the front mounting plate of the gauge such as the company name and address and patent etc which the repro does not have but has OIL CHEX at the top only ( see the top Petehoovie photo which is a repro gauge). Petes bottom photo of the two gauges appear to be originals possibly. I think it would be quite difficult to dismantle and repair an original sender unit but you could try it or I could try it. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:29 AM   #11
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Karl.. The oil chex reproduction gauge manufactured by Rudolf Faltermeier some years ago is easy to tell the difference from the original oil chex gauge. The original gauge is an all metal casing whereas the repro has the two sides with a clear plastic type that you can see inside of the gauge. The original has extra writing around the front mounting plate of the gauge such as the company name and address and patent etc which the repro does not have but has OIL CHEX at the top only ( see the top Petehoovie photo which is a repro gauge). Petes bottom photo of the two gauges appear to be originals possibly. I think it would be quite difficult to dismantle and repair an original sender unit but you could try it or I could try it. Regards, Kevin.
Kevin - I know I would ruin it if I tried -If you want to try I'm happy to pay you to have a go . If it wasn't possible then nothing woulld be lost as its useless currently -Karl
Old 01-10-2022, 07:59 AM   #12
Terry,OH

I believe these instructions are from koates. The installation diagram is slightly different than the 32 Dual Chex. The 32 installation diagram was published in the V8 Times. Be aware this gauge is an aftermarket accessory and was not offered by Ford and as such can lead to a point deduction in judging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 Oil Chex gauge instructions.jpg (53.8 KB, 387 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 01-10-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
I believe these instructions are from koates. The installation diagram is slightly different than the 32 Dual Chex. The 32 installation diagram was published in the V8 Times. Be aware this gauge is an aftermarket accessory and was not offered by Ford and as such can lead to a point deduction in judging.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:23 PM   #14
Digger

I tried saving these instructions and enlarging, but still cannot read them, bummer…
Old 01-10-2022, 06:23 PM   #15
Digger

I tried saving these instructions and enlarging, but still cannot read them, bummer…
Old 08-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #16
Digger

I am putting my unit into my 34 Roadster, which hole does the sending unit go into? See photo. The top or the side? I took this working unit out of a car about 15 years ago, should have paid more attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38DFDC95-3D96-4140-95B5-B4EA040F06C7.jpg (25.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 6B8452C5-065E-47B6-B435-27325547C1FA.jpg (88.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:12 PM   #17
DavidG

While it doesn't matter functionally as both receive the same amount of oil pressure, there's a bit more room for it on the horizontal.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:58 AM   #18
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
I am putting my unit into my 34 Roadster, which hole does the sending unit go into? See photo. The top or the side? I took this working unit out of a car about 15 years ago, should have paid more attention.

Digger,That speedometer is a standard.Did you know that?
Old 08-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #19
Digger

Yes, restoring my deluxe unit this week
Old 08-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #20
Digger

Well….was restoring it, but beyond what I can handle. But check out the date on the back of it, the last time someone worked on it….see photo…really cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98B801D9-C1FB-4DC6-8722-4D9E21875934.jpg (49.6 KB, 63 views)