Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Timstruck

Default New Project Questions

Hello all...first post here.

Purchased a 1936 half ton pickup for a father/son project. Today we decided to mock up all the pieces to determine what parts are needed. I have several questions that I hope someone here can answer.

Like many projects, you can get a conglomeration of parts. The cab is a '36 as far as I can tell. (It has the dimples in front of the top door hinges.) The grille and hood are both '35. The front fenders included are fiberglass. My radiator is incorrect and I think the cab sits too low (running boards don't fit right).

I have two basic questions:

1. When we installed the grille, it doesn't match the curvature at the bottom of the inner fenders (see pics). From what I can tell, the inner fenders are not correct. I have two sets. One is louvered and one is solid, but are otherwise identical. Is the inner fender not correct for a pickup? The fenders match the grille curve.

2. I am not sure if the front fender brackets are correct. Does anyone have a measurement? As you can see in the pictures, my brackets are missing the rod that extends through the inner fender. I don't want to buy more brackets without knowing the correct length. Perhaps they are all the same?

I am in the market for steel front fenders if anyone knows of any. I would be interested in a trade for a 36 grille. Mine is excellent condition and includes the stainless trim surround. I have two and a half sets of steel original running boards.

Thanks for any and all comments (I know my bumper brackets are reversed!)

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2343b.jpg (40.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344b.jpg (49.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2345b.jpg (43.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2346b.jpg (42.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2348b.jpg (51.3 KB, 69 views)
Timstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: New Project Questions

Howdy Timstruck, welcome to the FordBarn Forums!

Congratulations on your great project vehicle! From what I see I like it a lot! (I have a '35 Fordor and a '36 Phaeton.)

You will find helpful people here that have the experiences and knowledge you are seeking! More than one '35 Commercial owner who have done their vehicles one nut at a time are regular readers/commenters!

First suggestion, keep your discussion going on this thread instead of a new one for each question. This makes the helpful comments you're getting easier to track for everyone.

Second suggestion, send more photos of the individual parts/areas, like the inner fenders and cab. That will help others consider your questions with better information.

Third suggestion, tell us sooner rather than later if your vehicle has changes like 12V, etc., that can lead us down a dead trail when we're not aware of them. I see the firewall is unique, so we'll need to know more about things like that.

Congratulations and Welcome again, and I'm going to follow your progress!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-17-2017 at 05:05 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I see the firewall is unique, so we'll need to know more about things like that.

Yes. We are going to put the truck back to stock as much as possible. A previous owner added the metalwork on the firewall because the center curved portion is missing. We will be removing that and welding in a patch panel when we get to the cab.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstruck View Post
We are going to put the truck back to stock as much as possible.
Now you are really singing my tune!

Put your imagination to work and think how many owners this truck has had? How many drivers over its life so far? What vision was laid on it by which owner in which decade?

Edit to add: You might want to know about Roy Nacewicz, who has made a science of 'original' Ford replacement hardware (for a small part of what he does). www.fordbolts.com will take you to his site.

Just me, but I cringe a little when I see new fasteners used on these vehicles. I am most certainly a member of that club though. From a previous owner my '35 has new style bolts with hash marks on their heads, holding the fenders on, and Phillips head screws for everything on the interior. It grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard!

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-17-2017 at 05:51 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
nelsb01

I know that 1936 pickup inner fenders do not have louvers. So, that is why they do not connect in the front to the grille shell.
You are correct -- the front fender brackets for 1936 pickups are much longer and curve all the way to the edge of the front fender.
The 1936 radiator is thicker than a 1935 -- so the grille shell was narrower-- so if your grille shell fits the radiator, then it is not a 1936 radiator.
Hope this helps some.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
Charlie ny
BANNED

Tim,
You have '35 grill shell and I have '36 grill shell. I'd like to use a '35 shell on my '36 1/2 ton project.........anyone know for certain if a '35 shell will swap with a '36......except for the radiator fitment of course..
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
I know that 1936 pickup inner fenders do not have louvers. So, that is why they do not connect in the front to the grille shell.
You are correct -- the front fender brackets for 1936 pickups are much longer and curve all the way to the edge of the front fender.
The 1936 radiator is thicker than a 1935 -- so the grille shell was narrower-- so if your grille shell fits the radiator, then it is not a 1936 radiator.
Hope this helps some.
I have two sets on inner fenders. They are identical except for the louvers. Both of them do not match the curvature of the grille in very front. I posted the pics above hoping someone can tell me if the pickup inner fenders are different.
Would it be possible for someone to give me a measurement of the front fender brackets?
Also, I posted above that my radiator is not correct for '36. I think it's a car radiator.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
Tim,
You have '35 grill shell and I have '36 grill shell. I'd like to use a '35 shell on my '36 1/2 ton project.........anyone know for certain if a '35 shell will swap with a '36......except for the radiator fitment of course..
Charlie ny
Charlie, as far as I know, both grilles require specific radiators. 35 grille requires 35 radiator and 36 requires a 36 rad. Also, the hood might be different but I'm not completely sure.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your grille if you want to send me a PM. You could also post a picture on here...not sure what the rules are for the forum though...
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Just me, but I cringe a little when I see new fasteners used on these vehicles. I am most certainly a member of that club though. From a previous owner my '35 has new style bolts with hash marks on their heads, holding the fenders on, and Phillips head screws for everything on the interior. It grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard!
I'm the same way. I don't like the looks of the bright new bolts. They show in my pictures only because we are doing a mock up...
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
Zimmco

The grill goes on the inside of the inner fenders.
Zimmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmco View Post
The grill goes on the inside of the inner fenders.
If that is the case, then I know my inner fenders are not correct because they would extend past the curvature of the grille.

Do you have a picture?