Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
FL&WVMIKE

Default Thinking about selling the '34 Phaeton

There isn't really anyone where I live that is into these cars... so there's nobody to 'play' with. When dad had it in Florida, the car... especially being a 'driver' it was a blast! Here, it's just not the same.

I installed a new Optima battery last weekend, and it runs/drives great. Not sure what to ask for it. It's one of those rare survivors that still has it's original paint/trim. He's installed dual exhaust, etc... but nothing that cannot be easily un-done.

Lots of sentimental value, as we drove it as a family to Dearborn, MI, Charlotte, NC, and all over the place back in the day.

There are pictures in my albums here. What would it be worth?

Thanks
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
AlexLohmann1

Default Re: Thinking about selling the '34 Phaeton

What's it look like?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
AlexLohmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

There are photos of a 34 with fenders, without, etc. Is it this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user409_pic11028_1320947078.jpg (49.6 KB, 290 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
PeteVS

Here's a link to Mike's album:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1424
Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Mike, Since it's just a tattered old survivor, it needs a full restoration. Paint, chrome, canvas etc. I'll send you a check this afternoon for 5 grand as is! Just kidding. DO NOT touch a thing. Someone recently said that putting it on Ebay will show how much it's worth when it sells to the highest bidder. I think that is true, and wouldn't be surprised if it went overseas. I would probably rather have that car than any other car I have ever seen on the internet. It is a very beautiful car in amazing condition.

PS. If my 5k is your best offer, I'll send a couple of Ukrainian truckers out there to pick it up! But seriously, Best of luck on the sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47 chicken run 034.jpg (84.7 KB, 124 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
jimTN

It definitely is a nice car and from the looks of it a real driver.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Thanks, everyone. A lot of you personally know the car, and have inquired in the past. I'll get some current pics up here in the next few days... likely over the weekend, as I still work full time.

It's not restored. Dad bought it in the early 1960's, and refused to restore the car. Everyone thought he was crazy. He just wanted to drive it... and it's been all over the place carrying swap meet items, etc. He preferred it unrestored, so he would not be afraid to drive it.

Dad passed in October of 2015, and had been unable to drive it the last several years he was alive. My family and I would travel from WV to FL to visit a couple times per year, and one of the first things I would do, was fire it up. Even after sitting for 6 months or more, it would always fire right up, and I'd drive it around Daytona all week. It's the perfect car for that, as it draws a LOT of looks, and you're still not that afraid to drive it, get it a little dirty, or get caught in some rain. It's NOT the best for driving on the beach, as those cars are very front heavy, and those skinny tires aren't exactly made for sand. lol

Don't know if you do Facebook, but here are some. They have people in them as well, but you can get an idea about the car. It's a series of pics. Just keep clicking to the right.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I'll get some more posted over the weekend.

Thanks for the interest.

p.s. It does currently have the fenders and running boards on it! Dad had a phase there, where he took them off for some reason. Hey, whatever works.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 10-03-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
tubman

I'm glad I'm a "shoebox" guy. Have at it guys!
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
mercman from oz

Here are some pictures of the 1934 Ford Phaeton in question. I started corresponding with Mike Senior back in the seventies. This car is a survivor. They are only original once. I hope that it finds a good home to someone who will appreciate it as it is.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
TJ

Does the girl in the pink bikini, Miss Rats Hole, go with it?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Does the girl in the pink bikini, Miss Rats Hole, go with it?
LOL!

Mike Jr.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's passing. That is one incredible car. Take your time finding a buyer (I would assume there will be many who want this car) to find one how will keep it in your father's vision. There is absolutely no reason to restore this car. None.

I don't care how much of a dyed in the wool Ford guy you are, you'd be nuts to do anything to this car besides enjoy it and drive it.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Mike, i don't blame your Dad for not wanting to restore that 34, or the 35 cabriolet he had. Both of his cars are/were beautiful survivors. I always kidded him about selling his 35 to me, and in reality I would have loved owning that car. Sometime just prior to your Dad passing, he bumped into someting backing up in the 35, and bent one of the rear bumper brackets. He contacted me, asking if i had a nice original bracket he could purchase. I found a nice one, and sent it to him. I've often wondered if he actually found time to replace it.
I'll be sending that picture I have of your Dad at one of the Barners Bashes. I may also have a picture to send of the 34 when it was fenderless

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #13
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
There isn't really anyone where I live that is into these cars... so there's nobody to 'play' with. When dad had it in Florida, the car... especially being a 'driver' it was a blast! Here, it's just not the same.

I installed a new Optima battery last weekend, and it runs/drives great. Not sure what to ask for it. It's one of those rare survivors that still has it's original paint/trim. He's installed dual exhaust, etc... but nothing that cannot be easily un-done.

Lots of sentimental value, as we drove it as a family to Dearborn, MI, Charlotte, NC, and all over the place back in the day.

There are pictures in my albums here. What would it be worth?

Thanks
Good luck with the sale. "Survivors" seem to be popular now. Popularity of 1930s Ford v8s is fading by the day however.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #14
john greco

I’m a 34 lover how much do u want for it ?
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 AM   #15
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john greco View Post
I’m a 34 lover how much do u want for it ?
Somehow, I don't think this particular 34 will find it's new caretaker quite so easily.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
FL&WVMIKE

I'm trying to figure the value of a reliable 'driver' quality survivor that just needs driven. To me, it's a lot more fun than a restored car... as you don't have to go great lengths when cleaning it up. (15 minutes with a wash bucket lol) Plus, in today's world, it draws more attention than the restored ones.

To me, I see it as an ideal car... Low maintenance, low stress, and simply fun. It's not a trash pile that NEEDS restored, so there is no money associated with that time consuming, expensive process. THAT has to be worth something...

So, one of the coolest looking '34 V8 Fords... is easy to own, needs nothing, is very unique, and fun!

What's that worth??? That's the question... My first instinct believes it should be valued at least in the $30k's... What do you all think? I honestly don't know WHAT it's worth...

Thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
KiWinUS

Mike Jr. that is one awesome "time capsule" I am truly blessed to have known your wonderful dad & ridden in this stunning car!
Good luck finding its new caretaker!
I would think the $ value of this car in excess of $60 & possibly way more.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Worth is so subjective with a car like this. To the right person, it's worth a nice chunk.

$60+ many be a stretch, but it's somewhere in between $30K-$50K I'd think.

It's a rare car, but oddly, not as desirable as a coupe or roadster in the current market. Not sure why for when the top is down, it's a family truckster/roadster.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #19
ford38v8

Mike Jr, I believe that you may have regrets immediately and for a long time after you sell the 34. For that reason, consider who the new owner should be, rather than simply how much will he pay. When you are comfortable with that person's reverence for the car and it's history, the dollar amount of the transaction becomes secondary. Also, you may be pleasantly surprised that he will make you a most generous offer to acknowledge and honor your own history with the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
fordv8j

I knew Mike Burch since the early 70s, he got me to join the EF-V8 Club in 1972, he was a great guy, I have also known Michael most of his life, and have also known this car, I can say this car is exactly what Michael says it is,
fordv8j is offline   Reply With Quote