Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Jeff/Illinois

Default Generator pulley taper

September 1930 Model A. Short taper armature shaft.

I took this apart last night to try to correct a wiring goof up somebody did (thanks Tom W. for your advice greatly appreciated) but I don't like the way the generator pulley mounts. It has had a 'wobble' to it.

Tried two pulleys from two of the better suppliers that I had laying around same results. Anyway the one that was on this gennie had a 'ridge' about 3/8ths inch from the end of the pulley taper. The pulley doesn't want to draw up tight to the armature shaft. Somebody else thought the same so they used internal lockwashers as shims to draw the bolt up tight it appears.

I took a rat tail file and sand paper, and sat listening to the oldies trying to open this up a bit better. Got the ridge knocked off and polished up still doesn't fit right, it's not snug. Pulley still has a slight wobble.

That sort of thing is no good it will screw up your bearings somewhere, something has to 'give'.

Any ideas on this? Thanks maybe I'll just have to look for an original the armature shaft seems OK.....................or use some shim stock on it to take up the slack?? Belt alignment is good when it's on the car.

This is on the half-inch taper, short taper pulley. I know that Bratton's sells an adapter for the 7/8ths inch shaft but I have the later one.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 07-25-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
FRANK PKNY

Default Re: Generator pulley taper

lOCKTIGHT makes a sleeve liquid material that will harden and last. I have used it on machines with lose fitting bearings. You could set up a simple jig to get it aligned prior to getting it set.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I've had to spin a couple armatures in my lathe, then cut the mushroomed end to a nice taper, because some bozo hammered on the shaft.
If you have a long taper, I would get the correct long taper pulley from Bert's. If you have the short taper, then use the short taper pulley. I don't like mix and match and hope it fits.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi Tom, it is the short taper, 1/2". This Frankenstein thing is going on the parts shelf it is done and I am done fooling with it. And throwing money at it. Worst pulley wobble I ever saw on a generator. You are right somebody must have been pounding on it to try to make it 'fit'. Geez.

At this point it would be cost feasible to flatbed the car home or to a shop rather than try to rebuild this piece of junk and use it for a spare.

I know now why somebody turned it in for another When you buy a 'rebuilt' you are probably getting somebody else's junk.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote