Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor body wood question

The wood that is above the quarter window and door opening seems to have a 5/8" wide X .101" different level than the rest of the wood.

Please see pix attached.

If I was to nail the interior panel to the top edge of the wood I would have a curved panel--that doesn't seem right.

Should I shim that upper section to be even with the bottom section???

This 5/8" X .101" extends from the A pillar to just past the side quarter window on both sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood side header difference.jpg (67.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg CCI_000757.jpg (14.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5514.jpg (65.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Sunnybrook Farm

Default Re: 29 Tudor body wood question

The new wood that I got was level like you are suggesting but my original was like in your photos. what wasn't rotted. When I fixed my off road tudor that is not restored, a real 50s car with metal roof and V8 wheels, anyway when I repaired the wood in it, I just whittled own an old 2 x 4 and bolted it in there. Some day it will be some guy wondering what idiot did that!
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
100IH

You see the nail holes? that's where the headliner is streched and tacked to. The interior kits will give more complete answers. That area is really a dead air space. Crude is of no consequence.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm View Post
The new wood that I got was level like you are suggesting but my original was like in your photos. what wasn't rotted. When I fixed my off road tudor that is not restored, a real 50s car with metal roof and V8 wheels, anyway when I repaired the wood in it, I just whittled own an old 2 x 4 and bolted it in there. Some day it will be some guy wondering what idiot did that!
As far as I know the wood is original and never been replaced. I see some places where the factory added shims here and there to make some areas level. But this ridge at the top has me stymied. I can't figure out why they would do that.

I guess I'll just shim it and go on with life!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg factory shim.jpg (52.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #5
fred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100IH View Post
You see the nail holes? that's where the headliner is streched and tacked to. The interior kits will give more complete answers. That area is really a dead air space. Crude is of no consequence.
Thanks for your reply---

Please see photos attached as I have more questions.

BTW I have read the LB instruction sheets several times and I do not find that they "give more complete answers"!

The one photo shows the two nail hole lines and how I thought they were used. Since I did not remove the original headliner I have no way of knowing how everything was attached. Is my thinking correct?

The next photo shows the passenger side header panel and how it fits to the wood header. This cardboard panel is new from LB (I purchased the complete set of cardboard panels) This new cardboard panel matched up with the old panel (I was given most of the old interior panels --but they were all in a pile and not still attached to the car).

As I understand the installation of the headliner and other interior panels, the headliner fabric is attached to the wooden side headers in such a way that when the side cardboard panels are installed they pull the headliner material taut. In order for this to happen the cardboard panel will need to be nailed up along the top line of the panel.

With that in mind my thoughts about photo #1 are correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nail lines.jpg (65.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg side header panel.jpg (68.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg drivers side header panel.jpg (76.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

Some of my original wood is tongue and groove, seems like Ford didn't throw anything away but joined scraps of wood together then cut that with patterns. The replacement wood is probably better quality than what came in many cars. It worked well though if one could keep a top on the car.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote