Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2021, 12:17 AM   #1
Owlseye

Default 6 volt battery, who has the best?

What should the cold crank amps be for a 6 volt battery on a 8BA engine? Other then Optima does anyone have a suggestion what battery to use to have better cranking reserve? What should the output be for the generator on 8BA engine? My battery is a little over 14 months old and has no cranking reserve. I have run 0 and 00 gauge cables to the battery, ground, engine, + to the foot switch, and switch to starter. I have had the starter rebuilt with new armature and field coils. If you don't get it to start in 4 or less tries you can forget it. None of the connections are getting hot, not even warm like bad connections. New starter same as old starter. Had the battery "tested" by the store it came from and they say it is OK. I think not myself. So if I am going to replace it where should I look? Thanks
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 AM   #2
moonraker

Default Re: 6 volt battery, who has the best?

For years I've been using Deka 901MF (it's the only 6V battery of that size I can get in Russia. Very happy - good cranking power, little self-discharge. I bought the first one in 2012, had to replace it in 2018. My car is driven once or twice a month May to October, sits in a warm garage in winter, I don't trickle-charge, just start the car once a month for 5-10 min. Here in Russia it's about $100. I believe in US it should be cheaper.
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:34 AM   #3
koates

The store you purchased the battery from is what kind of a store? Many parts stores dont know how to test a battery correctly and only have an el cheapo load tester which only loads about 50 amps. The battery needs to be load tested to about 300 amps for 15 seconds but before this test it needs to be charged up. Take it to an AUTO ELECTRICAL SHOP, they can also test your generator and voltage regulator settings. Your generator charging voltage should be at 7.5 volts with about 2000 RPM up on the engine for a couple of minutes. If the charging voltage is lower than that then the battery is not getting enough charge. The best 6 volt battery around these days is the OPTIMA by a country mile. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
FortyNiner

Have you checked the charging system recently? The starting issue may be a symptom of a different problem. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by FortyNiner; 02-24-2021 at 02:35 PM.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
corvette8n

There are only a handful of battery manufacturers left in the USA, the last 6v I bought was from Tractor Supply, not sure who made the battery. For my wife’s Camry I bought an Optima we’ll see how long that lasts.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

I used a NAPA 6V in my Model A for over 9 years (2 in 9 yrs) and have another Napa 6V in my 40 now.
Check and clean your grounds and battery terminals.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
dave collette

Why not use the optima ? I have used optima 6 volts for years.Always turn the motor very strong. They last a long time and no maintenance. I have one in my 1946 Ford for 10 years. I would use nothing else. Dave Collette
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
tubman

Make sure you use the proper Group (size) battery. Fords used various Group 2 batteries through the years. These were significantly larger than the more common Group 1 batteries used in Chevrolets, Plymouths, and tractors. A lot of places only carry 6 volt batteries in Group 1, so you may have to look a while to find the proper one.

I had a Group 1 battery in my '51 Ford years back. It would start the car fine when cold, but sometimes not when it was hot. I had it tested a couple of times, and they said it was "good". I finally replaced it with the proper Group 2 and the problem went away. I have since switched to an Optima in a faux case (with top), and battery problems are a thing of the past. You might as well go Optima, since quality Group 2 batteries are usually more expensive than Group 1.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #9
HDowse

I’ve had good luck with NAPA Group 1 batteries but will switch to the larger Group 2 in the ‘37 and ‘40 next time since that’s the correct size (dimensions) for those cars. I usually get about 8 years out of a battery. I charge them once a month in the winter and I keep the terminals and grounds clean ;-)
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Floyd

A starter without new bushings is not a rebuilt starter. Check with who worked on it.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #11
[email protected]

Like Optima. Pricey though
npp54@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Like Optima. Pricey though
You really have to figure cost per year. I believe an Optima is slightly north of $150 these days. I have had three, and the first went 14 years, the second 13, and the current one is in it's eighth year and going strong. Last summer, after years of nagging doubt, I pulled the starter on my car and found a cold solder joint where one of the brushes connects. A good starter made a world of difference, so I wonder how long they would have lasted if they weren't so heavily taxed during those 23 years.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #13
Lawson Cox

OPTIMA Hands down.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:02 AM   #14
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
OPTIMA Hands down.

Lawson, you're not paying attention. The OP specified Other than Optima.