Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
TagMan

Default '36 Greyhound ??

An elderly friend of mine gave me this Greyhound hood ornament which he said was on a '36 Ford. I believe it's an aftermarket piece, as I don't think Ford offered a Greyhound in '36. The Patent number on it is 2026779, which would place the issue date as 1937 or '38.

Anybody have any info on it?

Thanks,
-Bob
36Greyhound1 by TagMan, on Flickr

36Greyhound2 by TagMan, on Flickr

Last edited by TagMan; 03-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: '36 Greyhound ??

You are correct in that the ornament you have is an aftermarket piece for the 1936 Model Year. Ford offered the Greyhound Hood ornament for the 1934 Model Year only....Just that one year....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Brian

Ford offered the Greyhound Hood ornament for the 1934 Model Year only....Just that one year....

I have seen 36 Ford publication showing Genuine Ford approved accessories for 1936, which includes a greyhound!
Old 03-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Ford offered the Greyhound Hood ornament for the 1934 Model Year only....Just that one year....

I have seen 36 Ford publication showing Genuine Ford approved accessories for 1936, which includes a greyhound!
Don't believe everything you see and read in Communist publications....Especially, avoid PRAVDA - they invented 'Fake News'....

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
DavidG

There's an old thread on this topic. A greyhound hood ornament was released by Ford of Canada for its '36 deluxe body types which would explain the New Zealand connection as Ford New Zealand was a Ford of Canada subsidiary at that time. It was basically the aftermarket version without a free-standing tail, unlike the '34 version (and all of the Lincoln versions).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Brian

It was basically the aftermarket version without a free-standing tail, unlike the '34 version (and all of the Lincoln versions).

This is true...however; WHICH aftermarket version did Ford see fit to approve as a genuine Ford approved accessory for 1936 ford?
Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
drolston

The '35 coupe I bought from an original owner for $95 in 1958 was dead stock and had the greyhound. I am sure the frugal and very conservative gentleman that owned it did not pay for any fancy extra aftermarket embellishments. Could the dealer have added it, based on the popularity of the '34?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
There's an old thread on this topic. A greyhound hood ornament was released by Ford of Canada for its '36 deluxe body types which would explain the New Zealand connection as Ford New Zealand was a Ford of Canada subsidiary at that time. It was basically the aftermarket version without a free-standing tail, unlike the '34 version (and all of the Lincoln versions).
Did Ford issue a Ford Part Number for the Canadian Greyhound as they did for the '34 Greyhound ornament or is it that they just authorized the use of the aftermarket version?....

Old 03-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
DavidG

Hopefully Don Rogers will join in as he has a FOC publication showing the greyhound. It is highly likely that a part number existed for it with 68C prefix.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #10
petehoovie

This, from Lorin Sorensen's FORD LIFE Magazine, Volume Three, Number Two, 1973:

Page 34 - "That was was the only year (1934) that a Greyhound radiator ornament was ever officially produced for the Ford car although other manufacturers made and sold variations for that year and others, outside Ford Motor Company authority."

Page 35 - Referring to the 1935-36 Model Year - "Evidently, Dearborn brass decided that the greyhound was no longer justifiable on a Ford since the radiator cap was now placed under the hood. Consequently, the plans to produce them were scraped." and "Stant Manufacturing Company went out on their own to market a greyhound radiator ornament for the 1935-36 Fords with approval from Ford."

Page 37 - "One of the few items we (Stant) put on the market ourselves, in those days, was the1935-36 Ford greyhound ornament. When Ford decided not to have us produce it for them, we advertised it and sold it to wholesalers and jobbers. I don't know the details, but Ford must have had some agreement with us or we wouldn't have made them on our own. We just wouldn't have done it." - Glen Johnson - Stant Employee

Last edited by petehoovie; 03-07-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #11
Don Rogers

Here is a photo from the Ford Archives when they were considering having a greyhound as a Ford accessory. They never approved it for 35 or 36 here in the U.S., but released it in mid-36 in Canada. It appears that the original 35 prototype and final 36 version were made by Stant for Ford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GREYHND2.jpg (83.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg can greyhound01.jpg (89.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg can greyhound02.jpg (56.2 KB, 123 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
DavidG

Thanks, Don.

Below is the illustration that you posted on an earlier thread on this subject which includes a maple leaf in the lower right hand corner for the doubting Thomases.

With all due respect to Lorin Sorensen (RIP) and Glen Johnson, former Stant employee, it is sometimes easy to forget that Ford had significant operations outside of the U.S. commencing in 1904 and that those non-U.S. operations sometimes went their own way (recalling that Henry Ford did not own a majority of Ford of Canada's shares at that time).

In addition to the greyhound, note the hand brake extension handle and the horns, neither of which were released by Ford in the U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '36 Canadian greyhound.jpg (42.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #13
RalphM

Interesting!
That is a neat option for the hand brake, never seen one before!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #14
billbob412

I have a grayhound that i bought from Don Sommers about 25 year's ago.it has a free standing tail and is made of stainless steel.He said he made them from an original stant one .He said to me "Do you know how to tell mine from an original' I said no! he said"Grab it by the tail if it breaks off it is original" I have a late 36 Club Cabriolet and it looks like it belongs on it.
billbob412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
Here is a photo from the Ford Archives when they were considering having a greyhound as a Ford accessory. They never approved it for 35 or 36 here in the U.S., but released it in mid-36 in Canada. It appears that the original 35 prototype and final 36 version were made by Stant for Ford.
Is there an official Ford Canada part number for their 1936 dog? One would think that to be an official Ford authorized accessory it would have a Ford part number similar to the part number the '34 dog was given (40-18385) by Ford here in the states.

If he wants to get picky, 'TagMan' might want to find out if the dog he was given is Canadian. After all, New York is not that far from Canada....

Old 03-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
Brian

The photo of the 35 dog that Don posted is the greyhound version made by 'Fulton'.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #17
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The photo of the 35 dog that Don posted is the greyhound version made by 'Fulton'.
"Fulton"? Who the hell is Fulton? Aftermarket or Ford authorized? Ford Part Number?

Old 03-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #18
Brian

Fulton was an aftermarket manufacturer of auto accessories. Amongst accessories made by them that I have seen is; the above greyhound, handbrake extension, similar in operation to the one pictured in Don's post, gas pedal, external sunvisor [1950's]. Also...1934 Chevs had a 'flying bird' type radiator cap; Fulton's version was a flying seahorse with wings!!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
KiWinUS

Fulton also made the”Fulton Feather “ hood trim for the 36 Ford
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #20
TagMan

I was working in my shop, when all of a sudden it hit me - why not try googling the Greyhound's patent date? So I did and got one of the drawings (below) with a copy of the intro to the patent description. Mystery solved!

Thanks for all of your input.

Patent Drawing - '36 Greyhound by TagMan, on Flickr

Jan. 7, 1936. s. FAlTl-l ET A1.
. AUTOMOBILE ACCESSORY Filed May 9, 1935 23 [5%.: /7 I lilium l Wl N/ Patented Jan. 7, 1936 UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE Ill., assignors to Faith a corporation of Illinois Mfg. Co., Chicago, Ill.,
Application May 9, 1935, Serial No. 20,580 1 Claim. (ci. 248-205) 'I'his invention relates in general to automobile accessories and more particularly to a distinctive ornament or decorative accessory adapted to be readily attached to the existing ornament provided on the radiator shell of a well-known make of car.
A principal object of the invention is the provision of a distinctive ornament which may be quickly and easily attached to the common or standard ornament with which4 the radiator shell of the automobile -is equipped, using the standard ornament as a base or support therefor, which is peculiarly adapted to t over the particular standard ornament, and is so secured thereto as to prevent ready detachment thereof."
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote