Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #21
Brushwolf

Default Re: Modifying Butch's SBF to 54-58 Ford Engine Mounts

I did order up a couple extra sets of those generic rubber parts from Speedway long ago cuz I kinda expect that to happen too. Compared to the ordeal of getting the engine height and placement right and re-making the steel parts, changing out the rubber parts is pretty easy on these though.

With the top plate now effectively lowered into the bottom part of the mount, I don't think it can go anywhere even if that happened. But I already almost ordered those Prothane Mustang mounts as I was getting frustrated, so I may just replace the rubber with polyurethane biscuits instead before the front clip goes back on.

But I have the mounts sitting good and beefed up the steel frame of them as well, so will let it be the way it is for now anyway. Spent the last few days remaking all the stock clutch linkage too, cuz the only part that worked in stock form with the 70's motor and bellhousing was the rod that comes thru the firewall.

Ended up having to make an adapter bracket to raise the frame side pivot ball and move it rearward, then extend the base of the pivot ball bracket for more outward adjustment, cut off outboard side of Z bar and reposition it to clear the steering gear, cut off engine side of Z bar and move it further out, and swapped the Y block rod on the clutch arm for an adjustable 69-70 Mustang rod. And to use that I had to remove the Z bar pin on the inner arm and drill it out to fit the Mustang part.

Would sure have been a lot easier to put a Y block back in it... But, it seems to work fine at this point and is adjustable at multiple points if necessary, so just gonna move on now. Fuel tank and exhaust. But of course my band saw blade broke too, so waiting on some new blades before I can do much with the exhaust.
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote