Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
DR

Default Waterpump

Water pump replacements, after obtaining this 30 Ford 5 window coupe, the water pump was replaced prior and is leaking more like a constant drip I tightened the nut and think I have it stopped however how much grease do you put in the zert to stop it. I remember a few years ago I had no high heat grease so I used regular grease and that was a mistake. It got in the rad so I have been running water in it and the grease has been coming to the top. I have used various things to clean out the rad but it still is not there yet. Any advise on what to use, someone told me to use pinesol in there and run the engine for about 10 minutes then drain it. I have drained the rad at least 15 times last year and just kept flushing it with the garden hose. Please advise.
DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Waterpump

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
Water pump replacements, after obtaining this 30 Ford 5 window coupe, the water pump was replaced prior and is leaking more like a constant drip I tightened the nut and think I have it stopped however how much grease do you put in the zert to stop it. I remember a few years ago I had no high heat grease so I used regular grease and that was a mistake. It got in the rad so I have been running water in it and the grease has been coming to the top. I have used various things to clean out the rad but it still is not there yet. Any advise on what to use, someone told me to use pinesol in there and run the engine for about 10 minutes then drain it. I have drained the rad at least 15 times last year and just kept flushing it with the garden hose. Please advise.
I run the leakless, greaseless, pumps to eliminate stock pump problems. I've cleaned out my system with T.S.P. (tri sodium phosphate) and run it a week or so. I cleaned it before I put on the new pump, as it might damage the seals in the new pump. Put a little sealer on the water pump bolts where they screw into the head or they will weep water.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I used concentrated liquid floor soap (the stuff used to remove grease from garage floors) and ran it through about 3 times and 20 to 50 miles on each flush. Then I used a box of washing soda and left it in for 2 days and about a 50 miles drive. I think that did the trick and the borderline overheating radiator dropped 20* at least.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
glenn in camino

A couple of cups of Simple Green will clean grease out of your radiator. I use Brattons waterpump kits and waterproof grease in my rear bushing.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I have had my leakless waterpump on my 1929 Standard Coupe now for about 15 years or so with no problems (Knock on wood)!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If the radiator is out of the car I'd try some gasoline in it. If you put in a gallon then cap the openings and rotate the radiator, or rock it back and forth, I would think that would disolve the grease coating.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 04-23-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

Many guys swear by vinegar, also cheap.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Kurt in NJ

I use 2 plunger pumps with the original grease gun ---enough to get in the bearing, but not the radiator too much -----

My radiator was full of grease when I got the car, took it to a radiator shop and had it cleaned, so far no overheating problems no matter how fast, or how hot and it has been 40 years since the rad shop cleaned it, there is some scum in the top tank, but it is nothing like when I got the car
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote