Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default 55 Ford electric clock

In '55, Ford offered at least two different brands of electric clocks in their full-size cars. One made by Westclox and the other made by Borg.

Bear with me, this is leading to a question.

I have two Borg electric clocks that have the clock face numbers (12, 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10) and the white bars in between the clock face numbers both etched into the backside of the clear plastic clock lens. (originally, these were painted with a very pale olive green fluorescent paint, but after a while, the sunlight burns off the pale green color and they all appear to be white).

I have a third electric clock made by Westclox. It has only the numbers (12, 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10) etched into the back of the clear plastic lens. A previous owner painted over the original satin black clock face, so I can't tell if the factory put the white bars between the numbers on the black face or if the Westclox simply omitted the white bars between the numbers entirely.
Does anybody have a Westclox that you could look at and see how the factory had it?

I always thought these were the same, but looking closely, I also noticed that the Borg clock chromed bezel had a notch for the clock speed adjustment shaft, but the Borg clock does NOT have any notch in the bezel. I also noticed that the little white speed markings on the black faceplate are different between the Borg and Westclox.

I'm sure the clock mechanism is different, since the outer casing of the clocks are different between the Borg and Westclox.

And then, they had the wind-up clocks. I wish I had one of those instead of these electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-clock1A.JPG (157.1 KB, 19 views)
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
L5wolvesf

Default Re: 55 Ford electric clock

I came across this pic a few days ago it says "Westclock" on the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weatclock.jpg (48.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 Ford electric clock

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
I came across this pic a few days ago it says "Westclock" on the back

That one is a manual wind-up clock, but the chrome bezel does not have the notch near the top for the clock speed adjustment shaft which is the same as my Westclox electric clock.
The photo I posted is a Borg electric.
It is possible that the white bars between the numbers may not be recessed on the backside of the clear plastic lens, but painted right on the back surface. And maybe someone rubbed them out on my Westclox electric.
Either way, it seems both brands did originally have the white bars on the backside of the clear plastic lens.
One thing for sure is that there are no bar recesses on the backside of the lens on my westclox. I'd bet they are all painted on the surface.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote