Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default 1935-36 seat

I have posted in the wanted section, but I want to cover all the bases as I am not having much luck. I need a 1935-36 Ford 5 Window Coupe seat, I really need just the metal pan, the sliders (risers) and enough wood to get a pattern from...do not want springs. However I would seriously consider any seat in any condition. I am in California, but will travel far to get it and will work vigorously to help get it shipped. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thank-you all who respond.......Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1935-36 seat

Just for info there is a difference in the two seats. The 35 seat does not have the backrest that lifts up for access to the area under the package shelf. The 36 does have the lift up backrest.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
flatheadfan

Matt-

I am surprised you haven't come across a seat. Have you tried the HAMB board? Many guys building "streeters" dump the stock seat for modern bucket seats.

I also agree, if you have a choice go with the '36 with the lift-up back cushion. I tried to make a lift-up seat out of a '35 seat and gave up. The two years have major dimensional differences.

Good luck

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #4
deuce5wndw

PM sent
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:31 AM   #5
Dave D

Quote:
I also agree, if you have a choice go with the '36 with the lift-up back cushion. I tried to make a lift-up seat out of a '35 seat and gave up. The two years have major dimensional differences.
Not that tough, remove center cross bar, make wood base for seat back spring, use spring from '36. The toughest part was finding the stock seat support to hold the seat up. It's the same as the trunk unit except the base is 90 degrees out to mount the seat back.

One other thing I should have done, add about an 1"-1.5" to the height of the bottom board on the seat back for the seat cushion/spring to rest on, it higher on the '36.

Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
outlaw

Matt, I was in the same boat as you. I never thought that I would find a seat for my three window up here. I have been looking for 10 years. My friend Alaska Jim here on the barn has a friend up here that had a really nice complete seat assembly. It cost me quite a bit but I have been sweating finding one & having to pay shipping to here. I would think that with all the swap meets & old car parts trading especially where you are from that one will turn up. I know that this didn't help you much, but my point is don't give up, keep looking & asking arround. Sincerly. Bill
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
Matt in Alameda

Dave D.....that is EXACTLY what I am going for...I am a cabinet maker and will build a cabinet for tools and parts right behind the seat Thank-you all who responded, EXCEPT for the scammer whose camera was malfunctioning and PayPal account was dormant and needed me to use a money gram service.. him I do not thank, he came from the HAMB site.
I found a seat pan, sliders, wood and fasteners for a '36 that I could afford, from a fellow Barner.....
This forum is such a great place....Thank-you Shelly and thank-you Ryan.......Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote