Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
farmputzer

Default Floor board anti squeak welding

When installing the anti squeak welting on the floor boards, what was done at the underneath corners? Was a 90 degree notch made so that there was only one thickness? What was done with the underneath welting in the center of the top board where the board is recessed for the bell housing? How far apart were the tacks? Did the welting have some sort of preservative on it?
Thanks,
Farmputzer
farmputzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Floor board anti squeak welding

The corners are folded so they are extra thickness in the corners. Welting on 3 sides only for both front boards, no welting where the boards meet each other. Short welting pieces by the pedal cutouts.

Check out this thread, as I posted some pictures of my original 1928 and early 29 floorboards, which are narrow boards dovetailed together.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=floorboard

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 09-15-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
w.michael

I just finished putting new welting on my original boards last week. The original tacks were irregularly placed, approximately three or four on each short side, about six on the longest side, and two on each short piece on the top edge. I could not tell from my original if the welting continued across the recessed portion at the top/frontmost edge, but I continued the new welting across the cut out and tacked the underside to the back, just as I did everywhere else. It fit and works fine, but I cannot tell whether it was originally supposed to go across the recess.

I read Mr. Wesenberg's post about the corners before I installed mine, but I decided to cut the corners anyway. I cut the corners on the back side at a 45-degree angle, so that there is only one thickness on the corners.

I notice that the new welting I bought from one of the best suppliers is 2 inches wide, while the original was about 1 1/2 inches wide. It will show from the bottom side if anyone crawls under my car and looks up; but the dirt and rust will help hide it.

I also took the time to install the washers and machine screws to fasten the floorboards down for the first time since 1965. I was taught, and believed, that it just wasn't necessary to fasten the floorboards down. After watching the videos from the grand tour at French Lick two years ago, when a fordor rolled over onto its side, I realized that in even a gentle roll-over, my floor boards and battery would beat me up badly. I fastened the battery for the first time, and now I have tied down the floor boards as well.

I cut a small hole in the welt for each screw hole, but I'm not sure that was necessary. You can probably wiggle and force the screw though the welt without cutting it.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Years ago I bought some welting from A&L and also some from Bratton's or Snyder's. I think it was A&L that had the correct width, but it was a little thicker than my original. The other supplier had the correct thickness, but it was wider than original.
Now, if we could just get them to work together to have both correct.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
mot

heres a few photos .I took of Plucks 29 original boards
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4511.jpg (79.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4510.jpg (69.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4508.jpg (73.7 KB, 64 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote