Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #21
eagle

Default Re: Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
I have a number of Craftsman socket wrenches and box/open end wrenches that are probably 50 years old. I’ve used them since I was a teenager and always thought they were pretty good tools - probably not up to Snap-On quality, though. I’ve never had an issue with them. How would these stack up against present day Kobalt tools ??
The old Craftsman are good tools. I'd never change out my old Craftsman ratchets for the new clunky ones. I found rebuild parts on Ebay a couple years ago to fix one of my old Craftsman 3/8 ratchets.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #22
77Birdman

I bought a large tool set prob around 1981-1982. It was craftsman box wrenches, sockets, through in a couple of screw drivers. 200+ pc. set. Being a carpenter by trade, wrenches are low priority so they saw minimal use and I still have all of them to this day in the same craftsman tool box. They have been well used over the years and are great. I have bought very few wrenches since that time, with the exception being the oversize oddball or a metric set here and there. Lowes is the closest to me so I do have some Kobalt in the mix. They are well made, good tools. I am a tool snob and will only buy the best I can afford but for my home use I see no need in snap on. If I were a pro, may be a different story.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #23
hop up

With spring approaching go to a few estate and garage sales. It’s amazing the tools you’ll find and for pennies. I found a 3 drawer snap-on tool box filled with tools 60 lbs at least. This was in the basement of a estate sale and when I brought it to the lady for a price she said 20 bucks. I told he it had tools in it and was still happy with 20 bucks. I didn’t need them as I have had my tool set from 1975. This was given to me by my Pops and was the largest Craftsman set available. In all those years I haven’t broken many for a exchange but have lots a few......The vintage Craftsman tool are good and used them every day for over 45 years and recommend the older ones... I know Sears outlets stores had odd and ends from time to time but net even sure they are still around..
Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
gary678*

I have my dad's two sets of S-K ratchets that are 50+ years old ... excellent quality! Over the last 10 years or so I have purchased several Kobalt tools and power tools and they have held up well... no problems and good value. I am very leery about Harbor Freight tools; lower priced with mixed quality.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #25
CHuDWah

This may be of interest:

https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 PM   #26
Nosetime

I have started buying the Plomb stuff at swaps, sometimes it flys under the radar for good deals.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #27
walkerlakeprinter

In 1966 my dad and I were driving from Haines, Alaska, to Portland, Oregon, for college in my brand-new King Midget (!). We got to Whitehorse, Yukon, and needed a vice-grip type plier. We bought a cheap one from a store there (don't remember the store or the brand). The first time we needed to use it, we clamped it on the adjusting rod and the teeth SMEARED! Lesson learned. Ha!
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #28
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Wow - I live in WI and did not know Milwaukee Tool had been sold, and they are now made in China They had an excellent reputation for quality - wonder if quality has now suffered.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #29
40 Deluxe

"Made in China" is nothing new! Just read an article a few minutes ago on the history of Wuhan (where the new coronavirus started). It seems that around 1900 the vast majority of the world's horseshoes were made there. Also sewing needles, powdered eggs, hog hair bristles (used in toothbrushes) and more. The international buyers of these Chinee products were just as crooked then as now, having the goods stamped with such false statements as "Made in Hamburg", "Made in USA", "England", etc.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

Agreed - Company I worked for had either - Engineered in USA, or in the U.K marked all over the product. On a very small sticker on the bottom said Made in PRC (Peoples Republic of China). They also used crappy glue, sticker would fall off after a time. This met legal since the marking only has to be present at time of shipping into the U.S, and at time of sale.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote