Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: 6V generator

Describe the "noise'....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:41 AM   #22
koates

I note that your car is a 1934 Ford ,but the generator you have fitted appears to be for a 1933 Ford. The 33 gen has a single terminal on top where the 34 has two wires out of the top hole like the gen you took off your car. The 34 gen has cooling fan blades cast into the front pulley with openings in the front and rear gen end plates for air flow. The 34 generator is a better unit with those improvements. You have already made one incorrect connection on the cut out by leaving out the insulator which ran the generator output straight to ground through the cut out cover, so not good. I suggest that you take the generator to an auto electrical shop so they can run it up on their test bench, and can listen for that noise also. Make sure you tell them your car is positive to ground as was built, that's provided your car is positive ground. Cant afford to mess with these things. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
Ricosan

Thanks Kevin. This rebuilt generator was advertised as fitting 33,34,35,36 and I think 37. I spoke to the seller yesterday about the noise. He thinks it may be the fan belt slipping because of the new paint. Suggested I spray WD40 on the pulley. I didn’t do it.

The sound. It is mostly absent at idle but as I raise the RPM, it suddenly is there and then it’s gone a few seconds later. It doesn’t come on slow as getting louder as RPMs increase but rather it’s suddenly there and then it’s not. The sound comes and goes. It sounds just like a bearing or bushing trying to seize. Very loud!

Richard
Ricosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #24
koates

Richard, what it was advertised as fitting and what it was originally fitted to are two different things. He was selling it so he would say it fitted those other models and it would work on them but that does not make it correct for 1934. You have no idea of how good the workmanship was in its rebuild. It needs checking by someone who knows these generators. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
Ricosan

Thanks Kevin, I drove it for a few miles yesterday and the “howling” stopped but to my ear and a friend of mine who has more mechanical skills than me, it now has a “growling” sound coming from the front of the generator.
Unfortunately I have only until September 19 to return for a full refund. Too.hot this afternoon, so in the morning I’ll take her out for a 15 or 20 mile drive and see how it sounds after that.
If it doesn’t purr smoothly by the end of the drive, I’m going to stick it back into the box it came in and send it back.
I’ll have my original ‘34 generator restored.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
Ricosan

Went out to take the car out for good long drive to see if the brushes would seat. Was greeted with the howl again! I don’t trust this generator anymore and am not ready to risk it seizing on the road or worse, a fire. I’m taking it out and sending it back today.

A big thank you to everyone who has patiently helped me through this saga. I’m going to send my ‘34 generator off to be rebuilt.

Richard
Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #27
Tinker

Would brushes make a metal on metal sound or howl? Maybe some. i would think it's a front bearing issue, or maybe worse.

Agree the right call is to send it back as you said.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #28
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricosan View Post
Went out to take the car out for good long drive to see if the brushes would seat. Was greeted with the howl again! I don’t trust this generator anymore and am not ready to risk it seizing on the road or worse, a fire. I’m taking it out and sending it back today.

A big thank you to everyone who has patiently helped me through this saga. I’m going to send my ‘34 generator off to be rebuilt.

Richard
Have had similar. Turned out to be front bearing spinning in front cover housing! Armature was also damaged in way of bearing location.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote