Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Trekemeyer

Default 38 ford pickup oil pan / exhausts. n

I am installing a 1950 239 v/8 flathead in a 1938 ford 1/2 ton pickup and the motor hits the steering and the exhaust hits the frame I though it would be a simple swap . Has anyone any knowledge of what I need to do / change to install this motor in this truck . Is truck oil pan different than car and would the exhaust be different also ? Thanks Tom for any help .
Trekemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 38 ford pickup oil pan / exhausts. n

Is the motor at the correct height (correct water pumps or spacers)?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Stenny

Your description of what is hitting where is a bit confusing. If you are using a 8BA from a passenger car, it has a center sump pan and this will interfere with the steering drag link. Most use the 8BA pickup rear sump pan or the Mercury rear sump although the pickup pan works best. As for the exhaust hitting the frame, as was suggested, you will need to look at your engine mounts. If you are using the passenger car water pumps, I would switch to the truck pumps and use the stock motor mount biscuits. You may need to shim these to get the fit you want but this swap has been done many times.
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
40cpe

I have an 8BA in my '38 coupe. It has the pickup oil pan with the large clean-out. I had to bend the pitman arm down to clear the oil pan on a left turn. I, too, would like to know which oil pan (if any) would clear the steering.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
51504bat

I'm running an 8ba with a rear sump truck pan/large clean out in my '39 p/u. No clearance issues BUT when I got the truck it had a car pan in it. I changed over to the truck pan when I rebuilt the engine because I didn't the tight clearance issues with the car pan. It is possible that the PO massage the tie rod to clear the pan. A rear sump Merc pan would work as well.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Stenny

The pickup pan I referred to is also referred to as a "step pan" due to the contours from the sump towards the front resembling a set of stair steps. I have seen these on '48-'51 F1 pickups. The large clean out pan I have seen on large trucks, not the F1"s and the Mercury pan while a rear sump, has an angle towards the front that can interfere with the drag link unless the motor mounts are shimmed.
Stenny is offline   Reply With Quote