Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2020, 01:04 AM   #1
RobD55

Angry 57 Tbird fuel tank sender

Hi all,

I'm wanting to take the sender unit out of the bird's tank. When I got to it this is what I found. It looks as if there is an inner & outer spring clamp arrangement. I don't want to try to do anything unless I'm sure I won't damage anything. Has anyone seen this arrangement and know how to remove the unit?

Cheers

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 57 Tbird sender.pdf (1.63 MB, 36 views)
RobD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
54vicky

Default Re: 57 Tbird fuel tank sender

picture did not open in full view but if it is what I see.take a dull (not sharp) old screwdriver or punch type tool and tap that ring counter clockwise it it should have slots?that line up when in right spot it come off. there will probably be a rubber ring under it be careful not to stretch it as it will be extremely hard to put back in when replacing.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
dmsfrr

Yes, tap the retaining ring CCW about 1/4 turn and it should come out. The gasket may tear.
Replacements are available...

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Gage/products/59/

Just being nosy... is there a reason you're taking it out?

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-04-2020 at 01:44 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:50 AM   #4
RobD55

OK, thanks everyone.
I've just spent 5 years restoring the old girl and despite the care during body resto it seems there is probably blast grit in the tank and lines. I've rebuilt the carby twice and both times after initial starting and road testing the carby has flooded over due to both float chamber seizing up. the fuel filter and bowl have a superfine (like talcum powder) white grit which is passing through the paper element. I intend to remove the sender and do a full tank drain and wash to try and get it clean. I will remove the sender unit during cleaning and use the port to inspect the tank also. I will also flush the line from tank to filter inlet. If I have to replace the tank it would cost me about A$1500.00! I don't know what else to do.what else to do
Old 05-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
54vicky

I found the same thing a few years ago.I have feeling it had something to do with the new fuel.if it is the same as I found other than the cloudy look it should not hurt as it is so fine it will not plug up anything.I put a filter in line and changed it after a couple of years and put another on it has not hurt.I leave the car sitting for months at a time.I dought it has anything to do with sand blasting.as a side note explain what you mean by the floats seizing up never heard of that after rebuilding
Old 05-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD55 View Post
OK, thanks everyone.
I've just spent 5 years restoring the old girl and despite the care during body resto it seems there is probably blast grit in the tank and lines. I've rebuilt the carby twice and both times after initial starting and road testing the carby has flooded over due to both float chamber seizing up. the fuel filter and bowl have a superfine (like talcum powder) white grit which is passing through the paper element. I intend to remove the sender and do a full tank drain and wash to try and get it clean. I will remove the sender unit during cleaning and use the port to inspect the tank also. I will also flush the line from tank to filter inlet. If I have to replace the tank it would cost me about A$1500.00! I don't know what else to do.what else to do
Does the car have an original style fuel filter? If the filter isn't installed properly it doesn't seal inside.
The filter element goes up into the housing first then the bowl gasket, to cover & seal the edge of the filter, but the gasket must be well centered or it will pass debris around the edges & into the carb. Example in the 1st photo below...

Fuel tanks aren't that expensive, around $300+/- ...(more if you want a really nice stainless steel one)
See these two links...
But a good cleaning should fix the one you have.

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Ta...nfo/9002%2D57/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel filter gasket c.jpg (53.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg AC fuel filter housing.jpg (85.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fuel filter.jpg (19.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-15-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #7
RobD55

Thanks again for all the good feedback and info. To answer in order: No, it is grit, generally cloudy fuel will be a sign of possible emulsion formation generally due to condensation in the fuel tank/carbs during normal weather and daily ambient temperature cycles. This is grit, I cut open the paper element and sure enough it's grit, whether from the restoration work or when in the mech shop during drivetrain reinstatement I don't know. The grit causes the fuel inle needle valve in each float chamber to stick in the open position, causing the carby to flood over. Around 3 - 4 PSI Fuel Pump pressure will cause it to spray out everywhere!
Yep I have the standard fuel filter element/glass bowl as pictured. Yep the assembly was correct. I'm a long term user of CASCO products and have ordered new elements and gaskets. Re the cost of the fuel tank; be aware the US/Ozzie dollar conversion is around 0.6 (US$300=Aus$500)plus I would need to buy the tank from the States and have it shipped over, plus all the tank ancilliaries, fill tube O rings, Sender unit joints, strapping pads etc etc. We can't get any of that over here, our market place is too small and everything here is metric so even manufacturing in imperial/US measurement units, Thousandths of inch, inch, feet versus millimetre, centimetre, metres will create confusion. I do keep USPS pretty busy. I am hunting down some cleaning chemicals today. Had the tank pumped out today $400 plus they get to keep the fuel and charge me A$1.32/Litre, (US$0.79/Litre) for it also!
I'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel Inlet System_Holley 4 bbl.pdf (425.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by RobD55; 05-06-2020 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Include fuel system drawing
Old 05-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD55 View Post
... Re the cost of the fuel tank; be aware the US/Ozzie dollar conversion is around 0.6 (US$300=Aus$500)plus I would need to buy the tank from the States and have it shipped over, plus all the tank ancilliaries, fill tube O rings, Sender unit joints, strapping pads etc etc. We can't get any of that over here...
Rob
Yes all the additional small parts do add to the price.
And I wasn't aware of your location, that's the biggest part of the cost problem.
If you add your location to the info that appears with your profile name & photo, other folks will know also.
Good luck with your cleaning project.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-06-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #9
fordor41

If the sender gasket/O ring is distorted and you replace it it helps if you put a slight am't of RTV on the gasket and let it set overnight. They can be a bitch to get/hold in place. I just went thru this on my '60. I see on cxlassicbird site they use an O ring. Stock is probably a rubber gasket with a square profile. Either way it can be a challenge to install.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:24 AM   #10
Alaska Jim

I suggest using a brass punch on the sending unit retaining ring. one spark from a steel hammer on a steel punch or screwdriver could spell disaster. also you may have to work from one side to the other on the retaining ring, as they have a tendency to cock sideways as you are driving them in a circle. just a suggestion. stay safe.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #11
54vicky

nice thought on the rtv but the fuel will eventually destroy it.the fumes and sloshing around in tank.a better solution I use is to lube the o ring with a good lathering of grease.I put it in the groove and on o ring.it will if careful slide together slicker than snot.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
Test Osterone

Thought this trouble shooting post from my ‘57 might be a good addition to this thread on ‘57 Fuel Sender:

Thanks again, dmsfrr.

Had good power to the sender and was pulsing as it should. Continuity checked out as well. Tank was well grounded. However, when attempting to measure resistance, could not get anything but full scale reading on the V/O meter so decided to remove sender.

Basically, this unit was falling apart in the tank. The sender has seen some service in it’s past life as the case halves were somewhat soldered together, that is to say, an attempt was made to solder them together. Didn’t work very well.

My fix was to clean everything, adjust the wiper contact and simply wire the two halves securely together.

Cut notches into the body of the sender to bed the wire when wrapping the halves together. Those halves are not going anyplace.

(Also, think a bit of tig welding would be a good solution as well to secure the two halves together.)

Thanks again for your help.

Test.

Test Osterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #13
RobD55

Thanks everyone for all the good info and advice.
Have completed the job, sender out, tank removed, cleaned and flushed. Found the tank had a repair job but was still tight so no problem there. Reinstalled.....had some fun(?) getting the fill line and O ring to seal, ended up 3 x dabs of loctite did the trick. Stripped and cleaned fuel pump and flushed all lines, new filter and primed the system through and she fired up first 2 cranks. Took a while to balance the adjustments on the 4 bbl mixture screws and the setting on the accelerator pump but all up she's burbling along really nicely. Again, thanks for all the advice.