Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
pinball73

Default Oil leak

I really don't think this is a problem but it just bugs me! I have a little oil showing up around the second from the back center head bolt! this is a fresh engine with less than 400 miles on it. the engine does not miss, smoke or use any oil. I think & hope that re torqueing the head fixes the problem, I have not done this sense the engine was put back in the car. this is the only thing I can think of! any one got any ideas?
pinball73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: Oil leak

Oil is not something that I would like to see in a place like that. Yes I would encourage you to re-torque all of the nuts on the head. I'm pretty sure that you will find that most if not all of them will need more torque. Keep checking the torque on a regular basis until it settles in and at least once per year after that.
Torque to 55 lbs.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I agree with Dave . The head will need to be retorqued several times . Sometimes , like in your case , I drain the cooling system and remove the effected stud . I apply silicone sealer to the coarse threads of the stud , only where it enters the block threads . and reinstall it in the block . Sometimes there can be a pinhole or a crack in the bottom of the stud hole caused by rust or over tightening the stud in the block . What you are seeing is not likely oil . This problem has came up here many times over the years . This method has worked for me .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I agree with Dave . The head will need to be retorqued several times . Sometimes , like in your case , I drain the cooling system and remove the effected stud . I apply silicone sealer to the coarse threads of the stud , only where it enters the block threads . and reinstall it in the block . Sometimes there can be a pinhole or a crack in the bottom of the stud hole caused by rust or over tightening the stud in the block . What you are seeing is not likely oil . This problem has came up here many times over the years . This method has worked for me .

guys I appreciate the help! I just could not see how oil could be coming up, around this stud. if it was on the outside on the exhaust side I might believe what I am seeing, but not in the center row of bolts! I am going to retorque the head & I guess we will see what happens. thanks, will post the results later this spring
Old 02-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
dbaldwi3

Is that SOP for the model A engine to re-torque the head bolts at least once a year? Asking because I just purchased my first Tudor several months ago.
dbaldwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
1crosscut

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think that it is a good maintenance practice to do each year. Spring of the year ritual for me.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
RandyinUtah

Ok I just have to ask the question why back when the Model a was new were the owners not having to retorque the head? Most owners had no idea about torque. Owners manual doesn't mention any about this practice.
Having many model A for over 40 years I have also followed ut he current advice and retorque the head. Did they do this in the old days?
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #8
Chuck Sea/Tac

Yes, it’s in the service bulletins twice. Different gaskets seem to make a difference in how many times it needs to be retorqued. Although they didn’t torque them. They “tightened the nuts”.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
Ok I just have to ask the question why back when the Model a was new were the owners not having to retorque the head? Most owners had no idea about torque. Owners manual doesn't mention any about this practice.
Having many model A for over 40 years I have also followed ut he current advice and retorque the head. Did they do this in the old days?
I think the new owners in the day took their new cars to the dealers or real shops where service was actual service. The dealers would go over all the fasteners on the initial service and most likely on most subsequent visits.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 AM   #10
Tudortomnz

Randy, when the Model A was new, there were at least a couple of free service checks done & the Ford Dealer would have tightened the head nuts along with a list of other adjustments. In later years when the engine was worked on, most backyard mechanics working on old cars would have known to carry this out. Cheers - Tom in NZ.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Dave in MN

pinball73,
Fresh engines will pull a bit of oil into the combustion chamber and the oil will not burn if the temp is too low. With a leaking head gasket, the oil will show up around a head bolt, edge of the head/block or in the coolant. So the oil sign is a warning to take action. From my experience, you are about 300+ miles late on re-torquing the head. This could impact your success of stopping the leak by re-torquing. Check and torque the head to 55# in the proper sequence and watch the area you have noted the oil seepage while driving it over time. If it stops, you most likely will be okay. If it continues, you will need to replace the head gasket.
While trying to stop the leak, don't take the torque much over 55# as you risk pulling a stud out of the block, especially if the threads in the block are less than perfect.
Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 02-05-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=Chuck Sea/Tac;1723672]Yes, it’s in the service bulletins twice. Different gaskets seem to make a difference in how many times it needs to be retorqued. Although they didn’t torque them. They “tightened the nuts”. quote

There was a special wrench that fit the head nuts on one end and the original 3X spark plugs on the other end . The length of this wrench helped control the torque on the head nuts when firmly tightened . I think that this wrench was included in the original tool pouch , I keep one in mine .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
pinball73

well you guys were right! I re torqued the head bolts today & yes they defiantly needed it. haven't had a chance to get it out yet it is 22 degrees & it don't come out till it is considerable warmer. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
1crosscut

Glad that you reported back what you found. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
Don't hesitate to fire it up and bring it up to temperature a couple more times and re-torque. Put a meat thermometer into the top tank of the radiator while covering the front of the radiator with cardboard and bring it up to 180 or a bit more. Only do this with the thermometer in place so you can be sure your not going to get things too hot. You will then be ready to go when it finally warms up.

No driving here either for a while as we are in a winter storm warning tonight and into tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
pinball73,
Fresh engines will pull a bit of oil into the combustion chamber and the oil will not burn if the temp is too low. With a leaking head gasket, the oil will show up around a head bolt, edge of the head/block or in the coolant. So the oil sign is a warning to take action. From my experience, you are about 300+ miles late on re-torquing the head. This could impact your success of stopping the leak by re-torquing. Check and torque the head to 55# in the proper sequence and watch the area you have noted the oil seepage while driving it over time. If it stops, you most likely will be okay. If it continues, you will need to replace the head gasket.
While trying to stop the leak, don't take the torque much over 55# as you risk pulling a stud out of the block, especially if the threads in the block are less than perfect.
Good Day!
I concur with what Purdy and
Dave have said and note what crosscut says about checking torque on occasion can’t hurt. It’s best to do it fairly quickly within adequate days of initial install and some run time. I agree wit Dave that it would have been best to do it sooner ( agree with his 300 Miles sooner) and it made me chuckle .
Like Purdy said you can try sealing a stud as he instructed. If you do that be sure to drain coolant first below head deck so that you don’t get any breach.
You don’t want to add any more issues.

I like the newer Best brand I think they are graphite style gaskets.
They seem to so far have a good track record.

All the best
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #16
pinball73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Glad that you reported back what you found. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
Don't hesitate to fire it up and bring it up to temperature a couple more times and re-torque. Put a meat thermometer into the top tank of the radiator while covering the front of the radiator with cardboard and bring it up to 180 or a bit more. Only do this with the thermometer in place so you can be sure your not going to get things too hot. You will then be ready to go when it finally warms up.

No driving here either for a while as we are in a winter storm warning tonight and into tomorrow.
1 crosscut! I will defiantly do this