Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Bulligen

Default Veterans Day !!!

Please help people remember all the men and women that fought in the Great War and All that followed. I think we as a group always remember, however the younger generations need to be educated as to all the people that sacrificed everything for our Great Countries! A lot of these veterans were part of our own families !! My Grandfather was a doughboy and was in France with the 32nd Division from Michigan. Here's to you Grampa Rice !!
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Veterans Day !!!

Sure hope everyone had there flags on their cars. I passed an old timer and he stopped to salute my flags as I made a turn.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
brum1

Thank you to all the Veterans who has served to protect our way of life-never forget
Old 11-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Synchro909

I was at a car and truck display yesterday and the hubub was terrific. A band was playing on the back of a truck, the PA was playing music too and the talking and laughing of the crowd was very loud. At 11 am, an announcement over the PA let everybody know it was time. Everything fell into an erire silence and not a person moved. It stayed that way till a bugle signaled the end of our minute's silence. It was very moving and I was delighted to see how well the occassion was observed by people of all ages.
BTW, the idea of a period of silence to remember like that came from an Australian. He suggested 5 minutes but that was cut back to two, then one. He could not think of a way to signify the event without confronting somebody so he decided nothing at all (silence) was the best way to go. Here's a link to the story.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-0...lence/10461280
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
chap52

After a pleasant drive to church I spent some time in the Supermarket parking lot waiting or my wife to pick up a few items. Got lot's of great remarks about the car and a few "Thanks for your Service" remarks.
Celebrate the victories of ALL who served this Great Nation, under God, Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for ALL...Chap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (89.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg small4.jpg (86.1 KB, 37 views)
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Gary WA

Wishing ALL Veterans A Great Day! USN 22yrs 69-91 Seabees CAN Do BUC
Old 11-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #7
updraught

Missed that one:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...b54a53a093867d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Le Hamel s.jpg (162.0 KB, 25 views)
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
Corley

Every year our club does the big Veterans day parade. They have, for the last few years, started putting signs on the sides of the cars of those people who served in the military. My car gets a sign saying "Vietnam Era Veteran". But, am I really? Yes, I served during that time, but I served in the Air National Guard, and never left Van Nuys California. I had a career with IBM that I did not want to interrupt, so I joined the guard. Yes, it was 6 months of active duty, 6 years of meetings, and 2 weeks each summer, so I did put in my time, but I always feel like such a faker, compared to the guys who died, those who saw action, those left wounded by war. As a National Guard member, and a support member of a transport unit that did fly supply missions to the war zone all the time, I could have been activated at any moment, but I was not. Therefore, I don't qualify for any Veteran benefits, and to me that says I'm not a real veteran. But they tell me to carry those signs...

So, what do I say when this old cogger in uniform yells at me, " Where were you in Vietnam?" How should I react when one of them salutes me, or thanks me for my service? In a way, I took the easy way out, and avoided a lot of potential danger, making me more of a piker instead of a hero. Next year, I think in good conscience, I'll refuse to carry the signs. Even though I did my bit, I'll feel a lot better about doing the saluting and thanking than receiving it.

Side note: I have instituted my own reward program for the service I did put in. Now when the parking lot at Home Depot is really full, and there are several "Veterans Only Parking" spots empty, as there always seem to be, I might snag one of those if it is going to be a quick stop. Shame on me I guess, but I feel better having admitted it.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
barnstuf

Veterans Day is over as I write this, and as a combat veteran of WWII I am glad to see we are not forgotten. Thank You!

US Army 29th Division WWII
US Army Air Corps, after WWII, 9th Air Force. Army of Occupation, Germany
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Every year our club does the big Veterans day parade. They have, for the last few years, started putting signs on the sides of the cars of those people who served in the military. My car gets a sign saying "Vietnam Era Veteran". But, am I really? Yes, I served during that time, but I served in the Air National Guard, and never left Van Nuys California. I had a career with IBM that I did not want to interrupt, so I joined the guard. Yes, it was 6 months of active duty, 6 years of meetings, and 2 weeks each summer, so I did put in my time, but I always feel like such a faker, compared to the guys who died, those who saw action, those left wounded by war. As a National Guard member, and a support member of a transport unit that did fly supply missions to the war zone all the time, I could have been activated at any moment, but I was not. Therefore, I don't qualify for any Veteran benefits, and to me that says I'm not a real veteran. But they tell me to carry those signs...

So, what do I say when this old cogger in uniform yells at me, " Where were you in Vietnam?" How should I react when one of them salutes me, or thanks me for my service? In a way, I took the easy way out, and avoided a lot of potential danger, making me more of a piker instead of a hero. Next year, I think in good conscience, I'll refuse to carry the signs. Even though I did my bit, I'll feel a lot better about doing the saluting and thanking than receiving it.

Side note: I have instituted my own reward program for the service I did put in. Now when the parking lot at Home Depot is really full, and there are several "Veterans Only Parking" spots empty, as there always seem to be, I might snag one of those if it is going to be a quick stop. Shame on me I guess, but I feel better having admitted it.
YOU still served!!!! Thank YOU!!!and your family!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
As a footnote to that, Australia lost more men than any other country in WWI on a percapita basis. I have always thought that was crazy, given how far we are from the politics that caused it all.
As I grew up during the 1950s and 60s, it was abundantly clear that MANY women had not married because there were not enough men left. I had 3 aunts in that position.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Gary/IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post

You made yourself available. I had several friends that were in the Air National Guard that went to Vietnam. I was in the 1st Infantry Division, which was sent to Vietnam in 1965. Just before the Division left, a few personnel, were transferred out to Garrison duty in the States, I was one of those. For what reason, who knows, call it the luck of the draw. Many were available that went were they were needed, many, who could have been available, went to CANADA.

My Father-in-law and his brother were both pilots in WWII, he stayed in the states and trained pilots, his brother flew B17's over Germany. He expressed some of the same feeling you spoke off.

I think it is a feeling that all support troops may feel in comparison to those that actually ended up in combat. All of us have tremendous respect, admiration, and honor for those that did end up in combat or suffered severe hardships while in Service to our country.

Thank you for expressing what many feel, but don't sell your service short.

o
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
russcochiolo

I used to feel the same way. NO ONE SHOT AT ME!
I was drafted when THE WALL went up and served 21 months and a day, long enough to get G.I.Bill benefits, which I did not use for some years after discharge.
#1 son is still serving; #2 son has retired (both shot at) and #4 son has completed his commitment.
50 years after serving I acquired my roadster (after retirement) and began participating in the Fresno, CA Veteran's Day Parade. It took a few years of encouragement from fellow Sierra Chapter members who were "shot at" in WW II, Korea, Vietnam and my 2 older sons (shot at since Desert Storm) before I was ready to accept my service as valid.
I am now proud of my Cold War service. It has taken me some time. It may take more time for you to come to the same conclusion, but you did serve and that is what counts!
Everyone that served deserves to be honored for their service.
The "political" thoughts are trying to get out.....I will keep them to my self.
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #14
Russ B

Corley, no need for feelings of guilt about the quality of your service, you served. I have thought about it myself. I had four years of deferments, graduated, and was drafted shortly thereafter, the end of 1968. They made me an infantryman and I served in Vietnam for half of my 21 months service. That said, I was assigned to a division intelligence unit and never had to earn my CIB, the combat infantrymen’s badge that most infantrymen were forced to earn. I was lucky to have avoided the horrors that many infantry had to deal with there and upon returning. But all who served should be proud for their efforts. You did not avoid service by phony means or by heading to Canada for the duration.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote