Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Ed Wendell

Question Body fit question, 29 Murray Town Sedan

Set the body on the frame and there seems to be a problem. There is about 3/4 inch gap between the sub rail and the frame at the rear bolt location. Body is sitting on the stanchions on the bumper supports. The stanchions are the correct 3 inch height. When I try to tighten the body bolts the stanchions push the board across the back up and pop the screws out. I looked at another TS and I can't see any difference. I am told that the bumper supports are all the same as far as curve and mounting. What am I missing? Frame is straight and square. Floor of shop is level.

Last edited by Ed Wendell; 05-10-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: add info
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Body fit question, 29 Murray Town Sedan

Try this,..the "search" at the top of the page is your friend....!

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...kets&showall=1
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
Dick Carne

Default Re: Body fit question, 29 Murray Town Sedan

Hi Ed -

I'm trying to recall that there may be a difference in the width of the rear wooden cross sill vis-a-vis Briggs and Murray fordors. Its been several years since I replaced the wood in our '29 Briggs Town Sedan, but I'm trying to recall that I had gotten a partial wood kit, and that besides the side rails, there was also a difference in the width of the rear wood sill between these two models. Perhaps one possible "temporary" fix to better determine whether the rear cross sill is an issue, would be to remove the bumper arms and see whether this might allow the rear portion of the body to sit better on the frame. IF SO, then you might consider either notching the wood to allow for the arms to be re-mounted, or cut down the inner part of the rear cross sill. A concern that I have in that event, however, is what impact if any, this might have on the positioning of the rear seat cushion. Again, I'm not completely certain of this possibility, but it might at least offer one possible solution. Good luck to you, my friend.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote