Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
louieglen

Default No condenser

I have had, and worked on Model A's for the last 30 years, but I saw something today that I had never seen or heard of before. A model A will run without the condenser. Probably most of you knew this. This just goes to show you are never too old to learn.
louieglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
GRutter

Default Re: No condenser

A missing or open condenser will not stop the ignition from working, but the points will arc or pit as a result. The purpose of the condenser is to reduce arcing as the points open.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
Purdy Swoft

well I know that it doesn't have to have a condenser in the distributor to run . I'm running one of my model A's with the condenser connected to the switch side of the coil . This would be the side that the red wire connects to if you are running positive ground as original or the opposite side if running negative ground . An older guy showed me this trick in 1960 . Back in the day we didn't have the good short proof A&L condensers . The repro original style condensers , other than being difficult to install by the roadside , would often fail . The later style condenser with the pig tail wire was easy to install on the spot by hooking the pig tail wire to the switch side of the coil and cinecting the condenser to either the coil bracket or the firwall . The cheap condensers that are made in China won't last very long no matter where they are mounted . If you can find a good Echlin or other good modern condenser it will work well . If Photo bucket hadn't froze up my pictures I would post a picture . It has been said that the condenser must be close to the distributor . The coil isn't that far from the distributor . This setup has worked for years for me .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
A missing or open condenser will not stop the ignition from working, but the points will arc or pit as a result. The purpose of the condenser is to reduce arcing as the points open.
As well as back feed into the coil for an added boost coming out.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...t/1281430.html
Old 12-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

You'll have a very small spark and points that burn up quickly if you try running with no condenser.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

I heard of a Rube Goldberg repair, condenser FAILED & he twisted 2 lengths of insulated wire, to 2 sheets of foil. Put them in a MAGAZINE, separated by a page or two. One wire to a GROUND & one to the coil. Secured the magazine under the back edge of the hood & it RAN!
That arrangement is BASICALLY what a CONDENSOR is, except the components are ROLLED UP.
Bill Ibelieveit
Old 12-17-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
noboD

My father taught me to test for a bad condenser by disconnecting it about 60 years ago. If the engine runs replace the condenser.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
jhowes

noboD Need more information, this does not make any sense to me. It sounds like the engine will run with a bad condenser and with a good one so where is the test? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
noboD Need more information, this does not make any sense to me. It sounds like the engine will run with a bad condenser and with a good one so where is the test? Jack
It will not run if the condenser shorts out.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Keith True

Many years ago the Niehoff rep told us that years ago the paper in condensers would break down and short out.He said that modern condensers,(this was in the 70's)would fail as an open.So yes,it was a quick test of condensers in the old days,not so accurate as condensers were better made in later years.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
Crankster

Capacitors (condenser is an old name) must be tested at their rated voltage, a modern capacitor checker will test for capacitance value but not "leakage". A direct short would be be picked up though. But that's not the only failure mode. Condensers don't "improve" the spark per se, but form a part of a tuned circuit with the ignition coil, preventing arcing at the contact points. Think of it as a "shock absorber" or damper for the secondary ignition. More energy is directed at the plug gap where we want it.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #12
mike657894

so if you have a condensor short you can remove it and drive home?
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
noboD

A SHORT distance. As said it will cause the points to burn faster.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #14
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
well I know that it doesn't have to have a condenser in the distributor to run . I'm running one of my model A's with the condenser connected to the switch side of the coil . This would be the side that the red wire connects to if you are running positive ground as original or the opposite side if running negative ground . An older guy showed me this trick in 1960 . Back in the day we didn't have the good short proof A&L condensers . The repro original style condensers , other than being difficult to install by the roadside , would often fail . The later style condenser with the pig tail wire was easy to install on the spot by hooking the pig tail wire to the switch side of the coil and cinecting the condenser to either the coil bracket or the firwall . The cheap condensers that are made in China won't last very long no matter where they are mounted . If you can find a good Echlin or other good modern condenser it will work well . If Photo bucket hadn't froze up my pictures I would post a picture . It has been said that the condenser must be close to the distributor . The coil isn't that far from the distributor . This setup has worked for years for me .

Hey Purdy... glad to see you back. I haven't posted much lately but I have ran them without a condenser accidentally and yes... it was hard to start and didn't run well but it ran. I had swapped distributor in a chassis I did and forgot to add the condenser!

Anyway.. hope you are well and good to see you back on the forums!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

I tested condensors, by charging them with the 110Volt test lamp cords, on the Growler. If touching the wire to the case sparks, it's GOOD!
Used to also charge one & TOSS it to the SHOP IDIOT & ZAAAAAP!---LOL --And leaving HOT ones, just layin' around, for someone to pick up.
For awhile, Century Brand Condensors were JUNK. With a DWELL/TACH, I was making tune up adjustments, disconnected it & It DIED. Took the old Condensor from the trash, put it in & it RAN! Apparently, condensors in the meter were taking care of things.
Bill Awful
Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #16
Purdy Swoft

I've never tried running without a condenser . My experience has been if a condenser or coil fails and you've got maybe 30 minutes to let things cool down , the engine will start and run maybe two or three miles before it starts to break up again . I have used the same condensers on 12 volts that I would use on 6 volts , I figure that anyone that has run 12 volts on their model A would know this . I run the A&L model A condenser on my roadster on 12 volts for the past 11 going on 12 years without a problem . I have used the Ford V8 condensers on both 6 or 12 volts even on model A's running Mallory dual point distributors . as far as I'm concerned there is no voltage rating on the common condenser that can be used on model A's or Ford V8 or Chevrolets . I took a used condenser off an old 49 chevy pickup and used it as a replace for a friends 250 Suzuki motor cycle and it worked for years .Just my thoughts on condensers .
Old 12-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Hey Purdy... glad to see you back. I haven't posted much lately but I have ran them without a condenser accidentally and yes... it was hard to start and didn't run well but it ran. I had swapped distributor in a chassis I did and forgot to add the condenser!

Anyway.. hope you are well and good to see you back on the forums!
Larry Shepard

Larry, it feels kinda good to be back . Its good to see you here as well !!! Thanks for the good information that you share . Its never too late to learn something new !!!
Your friend Purdy .