Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default Ford Steering gear box

Continued from "steering hangs up in a tight turn."
'

I changed titles as the subject is much wider now. I trying to solve the subject question, we find that the '30 has a Ford Steering gear box and contains non restorable parts.

What is the story of the Ford box?

we know Ford had to go to non Ford sources for carbs(Zenith); Gemmer for steering boxes, etc.

Brattons 2019 Catalogue page 26 mentioned the box offered in Dec. 1930. page 518 if the Service Bulletins talks about bearing angle changes and roller bearing counts. Not a repo parts are available.

I admit I'm behind in my tech readings: what's the thinking of that change, duration of the Ford version, etc., please. Do folks mostly replace the box?
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Post Re: Ford Steering gear box

Since you started a new thread, I will move my comment from the old one to here:

Repairable or adjustable? The early 7 tooth boxes (28-29) basically have no way to adjust the box itself, while the later 2 tooth box has several adjustments on the box. If your 7 tooth is worn, it almost has to be rebuilt because it is hard to compensate in the links for the lack of box adjustment. Many swap their 7 for 2 tooths because they are just a better design and fine for a driver. Or people swap with a F100 box, which is also great. Needless to say, unless somebody really botched the box (backyard mechanic fixes) it is rebuildable.

Now the parts not being available thing is a different story, one that I have never heard of before (but I haven't been doing this too long). Ford did have variations during the years in the boxes in design or manufacturer. I am too lazy to grab the JS right now so I will let someone else weigh in
Old 07-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Russ/40

Default Re: Ford Steering gear box

Although my experience has been the Ford 7 tooth, I seem to recall that the two tooth box was made by Ford and by Gemmer. The bearings are slightly different between the two. I understand both can be rebuilt with the parts currently available.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Although my experience has been the Ford 7 tooth, I seem to recall that the two tooth box was made by Ford and by Gemmer. The bearings are slightly different between the two. I understand both can be rebuilt with the parts currently available.
This true but to repair the earlier 2 tooth box requires not only changing the bearings, but also the worm and both upper and lower bearing races.

The worm is like a "must do" to do the bearings. The lower race is fairly cheap. The upper race (with included neck-down for attachment of the steering column) tends to the expensive - but unlike "real" bearing races the upper bearing racetrack can be "re-cut" on a lathe saving some money.

Joe K
Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Clem Clement

Thanks chrs1961815. I know nothing about the Ford gearbox, so I'm only kopycatting what I read and hear.

I hope to learn more by this thread.
Clem
Old 07-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I like to see people rebuild and restore original steering boxes. To me the much vaunted F-100 'conversion' is another band aid fix that doesn't address the problem.

In the '70's the big fix was substituting needle bearings. How did that work out? People started going back to the original build.

As has been stated numerous times, if a Model A hobbyist has the opportunity to drive an ORIGINAL low mileage Model A Ford they are almost always 'wowed' by how nicely it handles, drives, runs, and operates.

You know they were/are a very good quality car especially for their times, as to why they have survived in large numbers 90 years later.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
john in illinois

I put an F100 box in my Tudor and drove it for a while. I did not like it,did not steer and park like a Model A . I rebuilt old box with all new parts and am very happy.
My wife drives our A and likes the original better also.

Our club has rebuilt many 2 tooth boxes and never had a parts problem. I was not aware of the differences.

John
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Clem Clement

WE will be putting a 2 tooth rebuilt box in the cay Tuesday. I'll report back.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
WE will be putting a 2 tooth rebuilt box in the cay Tuesday. I'll report back.
I probably should look at mine this winter,1931 2 tooth.Clem did you rebuild or buy one rebuilt? I have rebuilt a couple in the past a 1953 Ford F-100 and one for a 1939 Ford but never a Model A.I have a completely rebuilt front end I just installed in the '31 and just bought the new draglink and Teflon kit from Brattons so thinking about one more step since pitman ball looks bad.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
Clem Clement

They will tell me the details tomorrow. I understand they gave up on the ford model
Old 07-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #11
Bob Bidonde

Hi Clem,
Putting the bottom line first, the worm gear and its thrust bearing of the early 1930 2-tooth steering is not interchangeable with the later 1930 and 1931 steering gears. So if a rebuild of an early 1930 2-tooth sector steering gear is necessary, the worm gear and its thrust bearing needs to be replaced with the later design.

Here is some homework for you Clem. Study the Ford Service Bulletins of August 1930, Page 481 and December 1930, Page 517. Apparently there was trouble with wear in the 2-tooth sector steering gears, so Ford changed the shape of the worm gear's bearing journal.