Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #1
vern hodgson

Default Trunk lid

So my trunk lid will not latch and it seems as if it is bent, not allowing it to sit down all the way. I cannot look at any trunks here. Looks as if I need to bend the lower edge out so the deck lid fits over the lower back panel. Any thoughts as to what else might be causing this problem. I believe this was converted from a rumble seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 349B452A-6950-4324-ABAF-FFEE6E5A164A.jpg (22.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg EDF1E019-7AD0-4415-AD7C-40879DCE2734.jpg (36.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 348AF855-B6C1-403D-ACE8-EC19B37A562C.jpg (71.0 KB, 90 views)
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
wildwilly

Default Re: Trunk lid

This may sound funny, but the best I can think of is hop on in. LOL. Or even ask a child to lay inside with a flashlight and their cell phone to take a picture when the lid is closed. This may answer many questions.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
CT Jack

Yes, it looks like the lid has a bend or a bow in the lower corner area. It also appears someone closed the lid on top of something than was sticking out of the trunk. The quick temporary fix might be to try adjusting the lid to achieve more of a clearance gap. This is done by loosening the hinge bolts on the right and left hinges. Each hinge pivots about a single bolt. There is some clearance between the bolt hole and the bolt alowing the hinge to be moved. The adjustment process is very tricky as a small amount of hinge movement can radically change the clearance between the lid and the body opening. I would keep the bolts slightly snug and use a small hammer to nudge the hinge position. This will be a back and forth process of adjustment.
The ultimate fix would be to remove the lid and repair the damage to the body parts. The lid should be straightened and fitted to the opening before final painting.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
Joop

Vern
Can you post a picture of the locking pin on the inside.
Is this is a recent problem.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
jw hash

the deck lid is the way it should be. they do NOT go over the outside of the lower panel. your problem is with the striker. or the latch itself. sometimes someone could have drop the lid close with the latch in the closed position and bent the striker down. it should not be that hard to fix.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Vern,

Here is some data that might help you understand the mechinisims of a trunk incase you need some help:

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...%20PART_1A.pdf

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie..._Part_%202.pdf

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie..._Part_%203.pdf

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
Vern
Can you post a picture of the locking pin on the inside.
Is this is a recent problem.
Not a recent problem, there was no catch installed when I got it. The locking cam just touches the catch but even so the fit does not allow the lid to close enough to engage the catch, it hits the lower panel. And there does not seem to be any adjustment, that’s why I thought the lid fit over the bottom panel???
Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Gary Karr

Check to make sure that you have the correct latch assembly. Trunks use the shallow type whereas rumble seats use the thicker latch. The trunk lid striker plate that the latch catches on should be mounted straight and not bent to one side. I have seen some that were badly bent where someone tried to force the latch to catch. As mentioned above, the lid does not close over the lower panel but fits inside when closed.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
the deck lid is the way it should be. they do NOT go over the outside of the lower panel. your problem is with the striker. or the latch itself. sometimes someone could have drop the lid close with the latch in the closed position and bent the striker down. it should not be that hard to fix.
Well, this post really was a “whew” thank god I did not need to remove the deck and beat the bee Jesus out of it to get back into shape. Jumping on it was also a scary thought. Doctor: “tell me again just exactly how did you break your leg”?
The idea of getting inside to lay eyes on the problem was intriguing. Sadly, kids are all grown, doing their own thing. Grand kid was in Arizona with the second daughter, that left me to get in the trunk (visualize those nat geo of the octopus or the moray eel secret ing themselves into some tiny coral pocket.) the problem soon became apparent, see photo, then a brief moment of panic, my position did not afford sufficient leverage to open the lid. Luckily eventually I prevailed. I cut off 1/2” from the latch shaft, AND added a shim under the catch and voila, a latching deck lid. So thank all commenters for getting me going in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3AA09B8E-AC7E-4B87-8D8F-053D0868212B.jpg (45.5 KB, 55 views)