Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Front spring question on how tight u-bolt

I installed my spring and everything according to Les Andrews,greased up a strip of frame to body welt but wondering if you are supposed to snug the nuts up pretty good or do as Les says just to align cotter pin in nuts. I may have wrong U-bolts,they are original fordge type but may be for more leaves than the 10 on my roadster. When I took old spring out it was 11 leaves and lockwashers were used. With the correct 10 leaves the nuts go way past the holes to make sense outta using cotter pins. I may not have correct u bolts and I do not like the repro ones that are not forged and are rounded stock not an inside flat to sit on top. All the other hardware is good shape and is the 29-Feb '30 style,my roadster is actually a '31 but frame and chassis is an earlier one.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Werner

Default Re: Front spring question on how tight u-bolt

Hallo, I had a similar problem (if I understood you right). I took long wheel nuts for assembly; these have the same thread but more carrying threads. To compensate for the length, placed thick washers between. Fixed with Loctite.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
rotorwrench

There are two different springs listed for service in the green bible. The 10 leaf and the 12 leaf for the model A cars. There are also two different U-bolts that were used as sets. One is longer than the other to work with the heavier spring assembly. Washers or spacer bushings could be used in order to utilize the longer U-bolts for the lighter spring assembly. You also have to have the correct lower plate and the upper hand crank bearing guide top plate. Ford used these into the model B years.

I'm sure there are still some original spares out there though. You would need an A-5455-A or a B-5455-A to get the shorter U-bolt. The B prefix part replaced the A prefix part when it was introduced. I'd look for originals even if they were used but U-bolts made for this purpose could be used in a pinch as long as they will meet the dimensional requirements and the quality is good.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-10-2019 at 03:56 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
duke36

Answer to the ? about tightening, the bolts can take a dry torque of 40- 50'# or so depending on size, threads, etc listed in a table for the bolts you used. Ours were 7/16-20. Cross tighten for even spring alignment.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
rotorwrench

duke36 is in the range. A grade 5-7/16 X 20 would be torqued to 45 Ft/Lbs with a cross torque sequence that starts from all 4 being brought up evenly with even turn amounts all the way tight. After it reaches torque then find a castellation alignment at the next closest interval. You want them tight. A loose spring will damage the front cross member.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
37 Coupe

The U-bolt I have is 1/2-20.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
katy

Quote:
With the correct 10 leaves the nuts go way past the holes
I'd use lockwashers for spacers.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
rotorwrench

These old cars had plenty of shade tree repairs back in the day. Substitution was common. Folks did whatever they had to to keep them going down the road. Nothing surprises me with the rare exception of an unadulterated original car. 1/2" X 20 thread would be 65 Ft/Lbs then align a castellation. There are on line general torque specs for spring mounting U-bolts but mostly for the Big trucks with grade 8 u-bolts. Most of the old stuff would be equivalent to grade 5. A hardness test of an original would be the only way to tell what the original grade spec was. Ford wasn't big on publishing any torque specs in that time frame.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-11-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
These old cars had plenty of shade tree repairs back in the day. Substitution was common. Folks did whatever they had to to keep them going down the road. Nothing surprises me with the rare exception of an unadulterated original car.
My '31 roadster was "restored" in the late fifties and although the body seems to have been a good rust free choice it was definitely built on a tight wads budget. Had to be some parts available back then or "restorer " did not have a copy of Hemmings. But its mine and I am trying to improve somethings.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
Dennis Pereira

Looking at the service Bulletin for Jan 1931 7 leaves for the rear and 12 for the front I think ? Do you have the right clip bar / bars ?