Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Oldbluoval

Default Comments on wanted to buy section

I’m bout to call it quits responding to those looking for something
I am not a used parts vendor but have lots of it!
I have responded to 6 wanted ads and 2 of 6 responded
The other 4 never said “squat” no .....“found one” “send pic” “how much”
No nothing
Im probably done with that. If some of them have multiple btt etc seems they would answer
Oh well if they don’t find it why should I care???
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Comments on wanted to buy section

Symptom of the smart phone. I call it window shopping without human intervention. Have the interested party call you. Weeds out a few.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

No phone pals for me
I give my direct email when sending PM (which I deplore) If they are too lazy or stupid to use that they can just keep looking for their parts
I think I’m just done trying to help. I’m sure not in it for the money

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 07-17-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Keith True

I'm the other way around.If they are too lazy or stupid to use a telephone then they don't need to be dealing with me.I sell lots of old junk,tractors,trucks,parts,a little bit of everything.I find if they are serious enough to talk to me on the phone then they have a serious interest.If they want to play email tag,without ever talking to me,for the most part they turn out to be tire kickers.One simple phone call will answer more questions than 10 back and forth emails.A few years ago I had a pair of ashtrays for a 400A.They came with a bunch of parts from an A guys estate.I didn't even know what they were for a few years.I advertised them,and included a phone number.One man that seemed interested said he had a few questions,I told him to call me,I will hold them in my hands and tell you anything you want to know.He just refused to call me.I got a call from a man in the midwest and he asked a dozen questions,I answered them,and he bought them.The man that wanted to play email tag got mad because I refused to write back and forth 10 times to answer 3 minutes worth of questions.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
rfitzpatrick

Forty three years working on Airplanes -- I use e-mailing. Works for me
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
jw hash

Bill & Keith I`m with you both, if they don`t get to me in a reasonable time, I will not going to chase them down. and on ford barn that happens a lot. why that is beats me.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
37 Coupe

A couple years ago I saw an ad in Hemmings for parts for sale and I called the guy couple times left messages what I was looking for and interested in,nothing.So I write him and send an old fashion SASE like I use to 45 years ago.He replies with only the one line call me at this number,same number in Hemmings.This time I get him to answer and he tells me to send a list of what I want.I told him I had done that but he sent it back to mewith the call me line response.So why do some sellers waste ad money? By the way this was a Plymouth parts guy not a Ford parts guy and I had a lot of issues with Mopar guys then I ever did Ford parts.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
31a

Have responded to the speedometer guy several times and he still does not respond if you are not wanting to buy something why put it on the wanted section????
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
Keith True

I always find that people are a lot more liable to be insincere online rather than on the phone.On the phone it can be,too much money,not exactly what I want,any of a dozen reasons.That's fine,but it is over in a couple of minutes and nobody wasted much time.I can be out working on a dozer,backhoe,something in the garage and if the phone rings I can answer it and talk to somebody.A lot of times I can walk over to what I have for sale and look at whatever what they want to know about.Answering questions on the computer means washing my hands,go to the house,turn the computer on,write an answer,then maybe do that 3 or 4 times before I find out they really are not serious.I tried selling a few things on facebook,now there is a site that shakes the nuts out of the trees.What I get a lot of on there are people wanting me to bring stuff to them to look at.I had a couple of people that wanted me to bring an A tudor to them just to look at.One from N.J.wanted me to meet him halfway to look at it.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
37 Coupe

I do not and will not use the phone if I can help it and can read and spell and send money online if I have too.I have a lot of trouble with phone calls and mayby better if the VA will eventually help me with a hearing aid.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
redmodelt

I would rather deal on line then phone. I don't like talking on the phone all that much anyway then you get some Chatty-kathy that's got your number now LOL. What get me is people that do buy something and you never hear squat back from them after it's shipped.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
ronn

had the same happen on here with fenders- was a guy in Germany......

sent photos and never recd a response.

later he was looking for an unrestored rpu..........

guess who didnt follow up on that one? Me.

if you cant be courteous, then dont expect much- and I let him know!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Chris in WNC

very puzzling dynamic here.
Trying to sell a very nice camper trailer online,
I get emails expressing a desire to see it.
my reply includes phone number (their inquiry does not).
no further communication from them.
?????

also get the classic response "is this still available?" on most things I'm trying to sell.
I reply yes, include my phone # and get very few replies......
Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Keith True

I don't mind dealing with people through email if they have a reason.I've done quite a lot with a fellow that had a stroke,and can't talk very well.I've also had to deal with some almost deaf people,that's fine,I will type all day for them.I just find it baffling that perfectly fine people can's take the time to talk,but can take 10 times as long to play email tag.For some reason most emails sent to me from a phone go to spam,and after 3 days are deleted.I am also not trusting of emails to show up either.I just got a response from the N.H. DMV,I was wondering why it took so long for them to answer,the header on it says it was sent out in April.I also just got a response to an inquiry about some LED light bulbs,the header shows it was sent out weeks ago.If you sell things,there are always going to be a few dozen people that are not serious.I treat them the same,they might be serious about buying something tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

I prefer Email. Usually can not remember exactly what was said for more than a couple of days. If important I save the email, and can always go back - see the info - no questions about what was said.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
JRrev

As with Bill, probably two thirds of my responses to want ads go nowhere. It's just plain discourteous for them not to get back to you. It's ok if they don't like my price, just let me know. I'm not a dealer, I was trying to help.
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 AM   #17
Oldbluoval

After my little “rant”, one of the guys seeking wanted parts contacted me.
He had only posted in the FB a couple of dozen times. He was unfamiliar with how PM works. Don”t know how to advise but seems some encouragement to put direct email would help all involved.
Still nothing from the other 3 out of 6 however.
So not retracting the basis of my “rant”!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #18
Keith True

Probably because I've been selling stuff all my life I either don't notice,or not pay much attention to the non-responders.A friend that runs a salvage yard says if you get 5 out of 20 get back to you you're doing well.It's always just been a part of it I guess.A few months ago I decided to sell a Columbia rear end from a mid 30's Ford that I had been sitting on for years.I advertised it,with my phone number,and got the usual,lowball half price offers.On a Saturday morning at 7 AM I got a call asking if would hold it long enough for him to drive here from western Mass.Of course,I'm not going to sell something when somebody is on their way.He paid for it,I loaded it and he left.Then I got a call from a man about it,and told him it had just sold.he hollered and carried on,telling me he had been sending me emails for days,and he should have gotten it.I wrote calls only in the ad.I had not read my mail for days,and that is why I put a number in there.Karma bit me on that one though,less that two weeks after I sold it I had the chance to buy a 35 coupe I've known about since 1979.That rear end money went toward the coupe though.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #19
barkleydave

I prefer E mail I am hearing impaired.
Also have a record of transaction
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM   #20
Ted Duke

If I'm volunteering somewhere or under a car or on the tractor I don't want phone calls. Texts are alright. I check periodically. Many times I don't have cell coverage. Emails get checked later.

My experience with phone calls trying to buy something is I get voice mail and then the "phone tag" begins.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote