Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2019, 09:15 AM   #41
banditomerc

Default Re: Will I fit in a Roadster??

I'm 6'4",280 lbs and get in my 29 with ease .....getting out is the issue
banditomerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #42
veggie

Send a message via AIM to veggie Send a message via Yahoo to veggie

Jharre

You can find a 6' steering wheel at a swap meet.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #43
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHRS View Post
I'm going to build either a 28/29 roadster or rpu hot rod so any tricks are appreciated.

Big difference in these two, and nowhere to move the seat back in an RPU. I sold my '28 RPU because it was so tight -- I'm 5' 11" and 170. Mine was a hot rod, too, so the seat was as thin, and low, and pushed back as far as possible. I'm now building a '29 roadster and, compared to the pick-up, it's like sitting in a Cadillac.

Try 'em both before you decide.

Last edited by Detonator; 06-06-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Detonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #44
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Henry and dsel must have decided that everyone who wants a Model A should be as trim as they were.

Take a look at the photos from the pre- and post WWII Dry Lakes era. Lots of guys standing around cars and no one is overweight. No one. Compare that to photos of today's events...
Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #45
ronn

so youre telling me Im fat????????

I agree.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #46
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
Take a look at the photos from the pre- and post WWII Dry Lakes era. Lots of guys standing around cars and no one is overweight. No one. Compare that to photos of today's events...
I've noticed that too. You have to hunt to find overweight people in 1930's era movies too.

It has to do with fast food, supersize it, and corn syrup in everything we eat today plus the growth hormones they feed the animals we eat that didn't exist 70 years ago.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #47
jharrellh

Thanks everyone for all of the interesting commentary - regarding both diet and roadsters! I am happy to report that I do indeed fit comfortably in my new (to me) roadster! As discussed, entry with the top up is a bit of a maneuver, but getting in with the top down is no problem at all. I am sure I will be back with more questions since I am new to the Model A world. Regarding diet, I am down 19 lbs in the last month and hope to get back down to under 200 by the end of summer. I have been using Huel, a nutritionally complete food powder as a meal replacement. Although not specifically promoted as a weight loss product, it makes it super easy to count calories and I feel like I have completely broken my carb and sugar addiction. I have no financial interest in this product, just thought I would mention it since diet was discussed almost as much as Model A's in this thread!
jharrellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #48
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
I've noticed that too. You have to hunt to find overweight people in 1930's era movies too.

It has to do with fast food, supersize it, and corn syrup in everything we eat today plus the growth hormones they feed the animals we eat that didn't exist 70 years ago.
Exactly. This past October I finally got serious about loosing fat, have dropped 25 pounds, and hope to drop 15 or 20 more. Most winters I gain 10 pounds, but this winter I lost 25, so that's a great start. The first week or two you need to eat less and you will feel very hungry while the stomach shrinks back to it's correct size. After that just keep eating smaller portions, exercise more, drop ALL junk food, and your body will thank you. I sure feel much better, and expect to be under 200 in the next couple days. My blood pressure has dropped back to normal, so I quit taking my BP meds.

I'll be able to jump in and out of my 28 Phaeton much easier now.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #49
BHRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detonator View Post
Big difference in these two, and nowhere to move the seat back in an RPU. I sold my '28 RPU because it was so tight -- I'm 5' 11" and 170. Mine was a hot rod, too, so the seat was as thin, and low, and pushed back as far as possible. I'm now building a '29 roadster and, compared to the pick-up, it's like sitting in a Cadillac.

Try 'em both before you decide.
Great advice. I will do just that... Just out of curiosity since you've owned both, how much more leg room do you have in the roadster versus the RPU?

I started Weight Watchers Jan 2018 and it took a year of work but I lost 75 lbs and now just maintaining 180. WW worked for me but it's what ever works for you.
BHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #50
Forddan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
My A is a late 30 closed cab pickup, basically the same as a 31. Am 5'11" 225 lbs. At 1st it was a chore to get in and out. Mainly because the distance between the seat riser (bottom seat cushion rests on this) and the door frame is a lot less than the length of your foot. You eventually will find a method of getting in and out where your feet go in and out the narrow way, after a while you do not even think about it. What ever method you find the method must not involve pulling/tugging on the steering wheel.
I am new on Model A and been driving the car for a few months only. I have a Tudor 29 to which I moved the front seats backs 2". I am almost 6" 300#. I fit more comfortable now than when I got it in January this year.

Nevertheless, I quoted the posting because I have read, hear and there, "Do not grab or pull the steering wheel to enter in the car" , and i was doing that. I grab the steering wheel with my left and the seat with my right hand to balance my body inside the car. There is certain pulling to the wheel.

Why is that bad ?

Thank you !
Daniel
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #51
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
I am new on Model A and been driving the car for a few months only. I have a Tudor 29 to which I moved the front seats backs 2". I am almost 6" 300#. I fit more comfortable now than when I got it in January this year.

Nevertheless, I quoted the posting because I have read, hear and there, "Do not grab or pull the steering wheel to enter in the car" , and i was doing that. I grab the steering wheel with my left and the seat with my right hand to balance my body inside the car. There is certain pulling to the wheel.

Why is that bad ?

Thank you !
Daniel

On 28-30 and possibly early 31s the steering column support is riveted to the Gas tank. Tugging on the steering wheel can cause the rivets to wear/loosen, and you can get gas leakage/seepage inside the A. If you search here on teh Barn, there are methods to repair, but the best repair is difficult - involves removal of the gas tank.

Some, including myself, have converted and moved the support to the Dash. Ford moved the support to the dash in 1931. I believe that a lot of tugging is also hard on the steering mechanicals. Again, this should be covered on past threads.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #52
TerryH

Daniel—-Constant tugging or pulling on the steering wheel works the attachment under the gas tank, ultimately causing it to leak.....quite common, then a chore to fix. There are optional attachments that avoid using the gas tank mount, which would be advisable if you really need to use the wheel to get in. I have a Fordor and have learned long ago not to tug....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #53
Jim M

Interesting comments. I have a 29 Roadster that has a LOT of sentimental value to me. I am 5' 8 and 230. I have a way of slipping in and out of the car. Once seated it is no problem and very comfortable. I always drive with the top down and the only time it comes up is if I get caught in the rain. That is another story but again would not change the car for anything!!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #54
Forddan

Thank you for explaining me the steering wheel issue. From now on I will find another way to enter in the car avoiding any pulling on the St.wheel.

Thank you !!!!!!
Daniel
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #55
37 Coupe

I thought about using the overhead hoist my brother had to remove his T Bird top in the garage.I could hoist myself in okay but that still means I would have to sit in the roadster all day at a show.Plus side would be I would not be able to get to the food vendor or ice cream truck. I could drive up to get my trophy.Get home hoist myself out.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #56
tagroff

I'm 6 ft 245 have 28 roadster p/u. Get in on passenger side after that it is fine

1928 Roadster Pick Up
tagroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #57
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Jeff,

You're right about the movies. The only two I can think of are comedians, Oliver Hardy and Fatty Arbuckle!

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #58
ronn

You can find a 6' steering wheel at a swap meet.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #59
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
so youre telling me Im fat????????

I agree.
I'm almost positive that's what he's saying. I had a heart attack at 45 and my wife who loves me more than anything has ever been loved purchased a book called "the china study". It's a pretty good read on diet, protein and disease. I won't go into all the details as it's debatable except one thing,, "eat to live instead of live to eat". I'd say almost everyone is overweight nowadays. I'll admit my vanity wants me to keep a few more pounds than I need as I'm 5'6" 175 with not much fat in my belly area. I have a decent muscle mass for my age. You older guys would call me Hercules. When my wife and I got together 20- years ago I weighed 135 pounds.

Roadster?? The problem with me will be me being slung around in any A.

Last edited by History; 06-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #60
Detonator

So jharrellh -- what car did you end up getting?

Last edited by Detonator; 09-07-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: finger cramp
Detonator is offline   Reply With Quote