Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
DBrer

Default Points & condenser

If I buy a new distributor modern style points and condenser are they readily available from auto parts stores, If so what is the part number or what vehicle ran these, or do I have to buy them from a vender?
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Points & condenser

The key is to source the condenser is to insure it is an A and L short proof condenser, no matter where you buy them from. Best to ask the supplier/vendor.

Others can comment on the points.

Personally I prefer to order all my parts from the Model A vendors as a way to support them, they provide valuable services other than just selling you parts.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
chrs1961815

More to the point, the so called Modern points and condenser are getting hard to find at a local store because they are now obsolete. Years ago people did that set up because they could easily obtain new parts locally if they broke down - no longer the case.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrer View Post
If I buy a new distributor modern style points and condenser are they readily available from auto parts stores, If so what is the part number or what vehicle ran these, or do I have to buy them from a vender?
There are many vehicles that the points and condenser work on. I always explicitly ask for them for a "1973 Ford LTD with the 400 CI engine". The kid looks it up in the computer and comes out with the right parts.

NAPA has them, O'Reilley has them.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
DBrer

Thank you for the info. I also support the venders, and I could have spares, but just in case I was curious if they were available. If I buy the distributor I'll get spares to carry.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #6
Ruth

The "modern" points and condenser were for any Ford V-8 from 1957 until Ford stopped using contact points in their V-8 distributors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
More to the point, the so called Modern points and condenser are getting hard to find at a local store because they are now obsolete.
I find it ironic that what we consider the "modern" points and condenser are now considered obsolete.

I still use the original type of points in my model A because the "modern" ones, to me, look like cheaply made, JMO.

Last edited by Ruth; 06-10-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #7
Bill G

I went back to stock style points and condenser because (a) I find that the stock style points are easier to adjust right on, and (b) the "modern" condensers wound up being just a little to fat to fit where they are supposed to on the "modern" upper plate.

Having said that, I bought the condensers from A&L and they are the fail-proof condensers. I also ran into an issue with repro stock style points fitting the original point block. I wound up going back to the original points that came with my car.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

For the first time, I have the modern Ford points in a distributor that's in my Victoria. I notice no difference in performance. The only advantage I see is that the modern points are a tad easier to install. However, the mod in the picture puts the OEM points on par with modern points for ease of installation. As for availability, the modern points are no easier for me to obtain than the OEM points & condenser. When its time to replace the points & condenser, I will be returning to the OEM parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (53.4 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 06-11-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
rotorwrench

These were relatively common points for larger Ford applications from 1957 to 1974. The ones to look for now days is the Echlin set part number CS755. These are likely the best ones available at this time. The less expensive CS751 will also work but aren't quite the quality. The Standard Motor Parts part number FD8183VT don't look as well made as even the lesser expensive Echlin set even though they are manufactured by the same corporation.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I used the so called modern points back in the eighties and didn't like them . The modern points are difficult to adjust the gap . Probably most vendors handle points and condensers that are foreign made. A lot of people don't want to pay the price for better quality parts . I agree that the A&L short proof condensers are the VERY best and I have never had one to fail . It is still best to carry a spare . In an emergency a modern condenser can be connected to the switch side of the coil and solve the problem . If original style color coded wiring is used , a red wire connects to the switch side of the coil .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
Kurt in NJ

The modern point plates I have seen fit very loose in the center, a lot of possible dwell change, in looking at original Ford ones the hole was ground to size for a good fit, the reproduction and modern plates are just a rough stamped hole--- that in itself to me makes them a downgrade from original parts,
I like the original points, still using thee set that came with the car, though after 40 years the rubbing block is worn some , someday I will use the new original Ford ones I bought for 1$ at Hershey
I would consider the A&L condenser as more reliable than what is sold with "modern" points,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

I've had several modern condensers to fail . I think that some still offer the cheaper made in China condensers .
Old 06-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #13
rotorwrench

Echlin parts seem to still have decent condensers in their line but I always buy more than one just to make sure I have a better chance to get one that will work. Hecho in Mexico is printed on a lot of these parts containers. I really don't care where they are made as long as they work.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-13-2020 at 08:14 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

I use and have had pretty good luck with the made in Mexico condensers .
Old 06-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Kurt in NJ

Some people need something to do, driving from napa to napa changing points- condensers can be good therapy
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #16
James G.

My "rub" with some modern points is they have a "soft" rubbing block that wears away on the cam. It looks like maybe Teflon that shortens the life as the dwell continues to change. I test the block by probing with a pin, xacto knife or some other sharp item. The true harder block will not allow penetration and will outlast the life of the contact points.
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
I went back to stock style points and condenser because (a) I find that the stock style points are easier to adjust right on, and (b) the "modern" condensers wound up being just a little to fat to fit where they are supposed to on the "modern" upper plate.

Having said that, I bought the condensers from A&L and they are the fail-proof condensers. I also ran into an issue with repro stock style points fitting the original point block. I wound up going back to the original points that came with my car.
Bill I did the exact same thing, for the exact same reasons and never looked back.

Sometimes modern type improvements ain't all that grand I have found.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #18
Chuck Sea/Tac

The Napa nearest me carry’s model A points. They’re good quality. They are echlin CS30
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote