Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
DBrer

Default Distributor change

I want to change the current distributor from a Mallory with a conventional cap and wires to the original cap and wire type. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I would like the modern style points and condenser. My car is 12v. Will the distributors in the catalogs work with 12v? The Mallory works great but does not have the manual spark advance.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #2
Jim/GA

Default Re: Distributor change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrer View Post
I want to change the current distributor from a Mallory with a conventional cap and wires to the original cap and wire type. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I would like the modern style points and condenser. My car is 12v. Will the distributors in the catalogs work with 12v? The Mallory works great but does not have the manual spark advance.
1. Modern style points and condenser work well. You put in a breaker plate that is designed for this points/condenser combination and you are good to go.

The main advantage of using this breaker plate is that you can change out the points without having to remove the breaker plate, so you don't screw up the timing, which then has to be reset.

2. Just get a rebuilt original distributor with the modern points breaker plate installed. Don't over think it.

3. Any original style distributor will work with 12 volts the same as 6 volts. No parts in the distributor are voltage-specific.

Remember that your manual advance is capable of giving you up to 40 degrees of advance. That's a lot. Go easy on it. I usually go about 3/4ths of the way down the quadrant.

I hope this helps.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

If you rebuild and the points do not align, use this Brattons Point block.

https://www.brattons.com/machined-di...int-block.html
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
chrs1961815

Question Re: Distributor change

If using new points they will not align perfectly without the machined block because the arm is not the correct length. Though I have not heard any problems with people running points that are not quite aligned.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
DBrer

Good advice, Thank you for the input.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Patrick L.

I've not encountered any alignment issues with the modern upper plate. I've used the original type and the modern, both work fine. Most folks prefer the original and I tend to agree, but, they do have an alignment issue but its easily remedied.

Any distributor will work on 12v. with the correct changes to the primary circuit. If you're using 12v now with no issues then there should be none with the new distributor. It means that you're already reduced the voltage to the points.

Does your car still have the original left side lever with all the related linkage ? If so, its pretty much a plug and play.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote