Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default First trip observations.

Got the plate and insurance today so was able to go for an actual drive. Put on a 60 mile round trip @ 50MPH highway and this was the result. Seems to run best with the advance on about 4-5 clicks from retarded. Any more and it seems to hesitate so I just back it off until it quits hesitating. Was running with GAV either off or open 1/4 turn. Still backfires a bit on deceleration. The temp seems strange. The mercury would come up the motometer about 1/2 inch os so, would leak a little fluid from the cap then go back down out of sight. Then several miles later, same thing. Did this back and forth game every 7-8 miles maybe for the entire trip. It has no thermostat that I'm aware of. Got home, let it cool, oil level was at L. No smoke, no excessive oil under the car and the plugs show a light tan on the porcelain outboard of the ground electrode but white under it. The body of the plug was black but no fouling build up indicative of excessive oil burning. I'm thinking 1/2 turn more on the GAV might be in order. Also, I run the cowl lights as my daytime running lights but find that the steering wheel shuts them off. Where do I look to remove the drag from the steering to the light switch?. Also, the horn, which sounded like a dying cow is now starting to sound great as i have been using it to loosen it up. I assumed that it was just dragging from lack of use for the last 12 years. So, not sure what to think of the temp fluctuation thing and where the oil is going. Not sure why I can't get the rad cap to seal. I found that the rim was not perfectly flat (a bit bent) so I straightened it for a better seal but didn't help.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Peyton

Default Re: First trip observations.

I think that backfiring on deceleration can be caused by a lean fuel mixture and white spark plug residue can show high engine temperature. Maybe 1/2 turn GAV will help and a little more timing advance for traveling at 50 mph. Just a thought.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
Licensed to kill

Just got back from another run. Ran at 43MPH and it seems to be running like a champ. Ran the GAV out 1 full turn and no backfiring at all. According to the IR thermometer on the water neck, running about 160F when I got home, same as before. Have had issues with the throttle hanging up sometimes. Will check in the morning, might be dragging on the floor or something.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
1931 flamingo

There should be NO leakage from the cap. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
eagle

I dont know which radiator cap you have but if its the 28/29 screw on one, an o ring that just fits inside the cap makes a nice seal. A little vaseline on it too.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
wmws
BANNED

At 50 MPH your engine is revving pretty high over 2000 RPM. I don't know what condition your engine is in but unless it is a properly rebuilt and balanced engine I wouldn't be running it that hard.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

At 50 MPH with a 3/78:1 Ring & Pinion and 4.75-19 tires, the engine turns at 2142 RPM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #8
Synchro909

IMO, too many people don't make allowances for the fact that these cars are about 90 years old and expect them to perform like one made yesterday. When these were made, the speed limits on interstate highways varied from state to state but was generally about 40 mph and that's about where they're happy. I've done lots of miles at about 42 mph (smooth but before it stats to sound "busy"). What little extra time it takes to drive say, 100 miles is not worth the hassle.
I prefer to proceed with grace rather than pace! (Especially if Grace is a good looker!)
Old 05-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #9
Mike Peters

e: First trip observations.
IMO, too many people don't make allowances for the fact that these cars are about 90 years old and expect them to perform like one made yesterday. When these were made, the speed limits on interstate highways varied from state to state but was generally about 40 mph and that's about where they're happy. I've done lots of miles at about 42 mph (smooth but before it stats to sound "busy"). What little extra time it takes to drive say, 100 miles is not worth the hassle.
I prefer to proceed with grace rather than pace! (Especially if Grace is a good looker!)

Amen! My cars are happiest at 40 MPH. What's the rush?
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
katy

Quote:
When these were made, the speed limits on interstate highways varied from state to state
The interstate highway system wasn't built until the 1950s.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #11
History

Germany started their autobahn system in 1933. I've seen photos of German troops lined up on it heading to surrender. It seemed so strange looking at those photos as you don't usually associate Germans troops on what looks like our interstate system.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #12
CWPASADENA

One thing that might help with the accelerator hanging up is to oil the accelerator cross shaft, behind the engine.

There is an oil hole in the top of each support for the cross shaft. Lubricate the cross shaft and see if that helps.

This is something that is often overlooked as it is sort of hidden.

Also, 45 MPH is a good highway speed for a stock Model A.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
neds29

To keep your light switch from turning the lights off, or on, when turning the steering wheel, you should have a brass anti-rattler shim (part A-3529) which goes just under the switch on the horn rod. To install it your have to remove the horn rod, so that might be hard to do!
Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Licensed to kill

A few updates. The backfiring seems to have been just running a bit lean. Run with the GAV out more and the backfiring goes away. The problem with the steering sitting off the lights seems to be that someone packed the light rod with heavy grease. I pulled the rod and cleaned put all the grease, put a very light coating of oil on the rod and reinstalled and it seems to be good now. Haven't taken it for a drive but with the front wheels off the ground ran the steering back and forth many time and the light switch did not drag of try to turn off so I think that was the problem. There was a brass sleeve under the switch. I'm still baffled about the oil consumption. I'm going to try to devise something to catch any leaks while I am driving so I can determine exactly how much is leaking. I did snug up the pan bolts and the two bolts for the drain back tube as they where all loose a bit and did show signs of some seepage but I'm not convinced that the problem lies there. We will see.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
GerryAllen

Let us know what you find.
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
Jim Brierley

2,000 - 2100 RPM is about ideal for cruising. IMO
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #18
rocket1

When you checked the oil level and registered L on the dipstick the troughs filled up if they were empty,is it still using oil?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #19
DBrer

y-blockhead, thats a great cartoon.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #20
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
When you checked the oil level and registered L on the dipstick the troughs filled up if they were empty,is it still using oil?
Yes, consistently 1 quart to 60 miles. Should have fouled the plugs if it was burning that much.