Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2020, 10:42 PM   #41
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Manifold Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
Not model a related but back in the 70's I worked as a construction laborer and we use to heat up our lunch on the compressor engine. I was a 6 cylinder engine but too long ago to remember what engine.

Paving mechanic.the screed men would cook all day...ate good,mainly mexican food,they timed everything..rather barbecue than cook on a manifold,work the coals instead of the hydrocarbons..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #42
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Paving mechanic.the screed men would cook all day...ate good,mainly mexican food,they timed everything..rather barbecue than cook on a manifold,work the coals instead of the hydrocarbons..
On the paving screed in the summer, there isn't anyplace that isn't HOT. The bigger problem is keeping things cool.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:18 AM   #43
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
Not model a related but back in the 70's I worked as a construction laborer and we use to heat up our lunch on the compressor engine. I was a 6 cylinder engine but too long ago to remember what engine.
I heard a story years ago from a roofer buddy. They would do 'mop roofs', which consists of a 'tar pot' on the ground run by a furnace to get the tar hot enough to pump up on the roof. He said they would throw potatoes in the pot for a couple of minutes, pull them out and let the tar cool a bit. They would then peel the tar off and it would also de-skin the 'perfectly cooked potato'! He never mentioned that they tasted bad but he did say one of the guys on the crew did die of cancer!!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #44
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Skip View Post
Very interesting and enjoyable article about Anne Neely Beck. There have also been several articles in “The Restorer” ("Make Mine Medium Rare" on pages 26-28 of the November-December 1974 issue, “Cookin’ Along in My Model A” by Pat Duffy on pages 16-17 of the November-December 1985 issue; “Using the Model A As A Campstove” by William Johnston on page 21 of the May-June 1990 issue; “Manifold Cookery” on page 30 of the July-August 1992 issue; etc.) and no doubt other articles, both in “The Restorer” and in the “Model A News.” Also, several clubs have published their own cookbooks.

The “Make Mine Medium Rare” article has several roast beef recipes as does the "Manifold Cookery" article (Blackened Roadfish, Roadside Stew, Interstate 10 Chicken Wings, etc.) and the latter – conveniently – gives the cooking times in miles instead of minutes/hours.

Also, most articles recommend triple wrapping whatever is to be cooked in tin foil, which should take care of any concern about engine odors permeating the food.
I cannot find either of these articles online - does anyone know if they are online ?

Thanks - JIm
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #45
DBrer

The food in those photos looks great, thats neat that you guys do that, looks like a lot of fun.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote