Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Model A Man

Default disc brakes

I see in Snyders catalog they sell a disc brake set up to fit stock model T's, was wondering if anyone makes a kit for stock model A's? I always thought it would be neat if someone could make a disc brake kit that keeps the brakes mechanical and use the stock brake rods and stock wheels. Just thinking outside the box.

Last edited by Model A Man; 01-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: disc brakes

I don't know why anyone would do that. The stock mechanicals on Model A's are unsurpassed! (At least, when they're properly restored.)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Man,
I dream up stuff like that when I go to bed on CHILI & GREEN ONIONS! A pint of ICE CREAM will negate the discomfort ZZZZZZZZZ MOVE OVER, DOG!ZZZZZZZ Bill W.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
sturgis39

I think to problem with disc brakes on model "A" is the wheels. The hub flange on the inside of the wheel will not clear the caliber. This flange kind of covers the brake drum.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
sturgis39

I think to problem with disc brakes on model "A" is the wheels. The hub flange on the inside of the wheel will not clear the caliber. This flange kind of covers the brake drum.
sturgis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I see in Snyders catalog they sell a disc brake set up to fit stock model T's, was wondering if anyone makes a kit for stock model A's? I always thought it would be neat if someone could make a disc brake kit that keeps the brakes mechanical and use the stock brake rods and stock wheels. Just thinking outside the box.
Well, there is a HUGE difference in why the disc brakes for the T is made. First off, with a stock T the brakes are inside the transmission. The weak link in a T is the thrust washers inside the rear end that hold the ring gear into position. When they fail (as it has done on me twice now), you lose all brakes except the parking brake which are cast iron shoes on steel drums because the ring gear moves away from the pinion and it just free-wheels. Granted there are some external mechanical brake conversions out there for the T however most of them are self-energizing (by design) going forward -but most don't work very well going in reverse like when something breaks going up a hill, or when you are unloading off a trailer. The clamping action of the disc eliminates this "stressful situation".

Disc brakes could be retrofitted to a stock Model-A (steel) brake drum by waterjetting a ¾" thick ring in steel and welding it to the drum. (This is how it is done with the T set-up you referenced.) The issue you are going to have is finding a caliper small enough to still fit within the stock A rim and not rub. I suspect the use of a motorcycle caliper off of something like a Honda Goldwing might be small enough however the total weight of these bikes is only around 600 pounds w/o passengers or gear, ...which means each caliper on that bike probably has a safety margin of 500-600 pounds. If you used four of these on an A, you are using a brake system that is rated at about 2,500 gross pounds which in my opinion places you out of the safety zone with regard to the Model-A weight by the time pasengers are factored in too.

You might see if Wilwood manufactures something a tad bigger, but again it would appear that if someone were to make a 15" ring, there doesn't seem like their is much room for a caliper of sufficient size. As far as a bracket to hold the caliper, I personally would not get stressed over using a brake housing (backing) plate that has been damaged (drug on the bottom) and just weld a tab onto th eedge to hold the caliper.

My point in this is Yes, a set of discs could be retrofitted to a Model-A if someone can be creative and has the abilities to "pull it off" however I am not so sure the reward would be worth the efforts. For the amount of $$ and time someone would spend, they could apply that same money and time towards properly rebuilding a stock set of brakes ...and have something that would work equally well if not better than discs.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
jw hash

it can be done. here is one I`m doing right now Model A axle 39 spindles it will end up with 35 16" wire wheels on it but for right now I have 19"s on it. the rear end is Mustang but I think the same can be done using a Model A rear end. the wheel base ends up wider than the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 (10).jpg (74.8 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by jw hash; 01-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
denis4x4

jw hash...how thick is the spacer and how long are the wheel bolts?
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
A Man,
I dream up stuff like that when I go to bed on CHILI & GREEN ONIONS! A pint of ICE CREAM will negate the discomfort ZZZZZZZZZ MOVE OVER, DOG!ZZZZZZZ Bill W.
No shortage of gas at your place, huh Bill??
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
it can be done. here is one I`m doing right now Model A axle 39 spindles it will end up with 35 16" wire wheels on it but for right now I have 19"s on it. the rear end is Mustang but I think the same can be done using a Model A rear end. the wheel base ends up wider than the original.
jw,

Is there any support for the outer portion of the wheels hub? The area I am asking about is the area that normally rests against the outer area of the brake drum (next to the areas the short spokes meet the hub)? JMO: If not...I think the wheel may not stand up over time. I straighten Model A wheels for people and I've seen a lot of cracks in these areas...I'm just concerned about your safety...I'm not trying to criticize.
Good Day?

Last edited by Dave in MN; 01-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I don't know why anyone would do that. The stock mechanicals on Model A's are unsurpassed! (At least, when they're properly restored.)

When I read things like this it makes me wonder if people are joking or actually have not driven a modern vehicle.

*shrug*
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
When I read things like this it makes me wonder if people are joking or actually have not driven a modern vehicle.

*shrug*
When I read things like this it makes me wonder if people are joking or actually have not driven an A with properly restored brakes.
*shuug*
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Why discs? When for years 39-48 ford hydraulics have been used and work??
Trying to adapt all this (discs) and figuring leverages for the actuating rods just doesn't make sense. Again JMO.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
jw hash

The spacers are 1" but 3/4" would of cleared the caplipers, I started off with 5 on 4 1/2 rotors to 5 on 5 1/2 adapters for the wheels. I would not recommend running Model A wheels with this set up there is no support for the center of the wheel,
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
No shortage of gas at your place, huh Bill??
2many,
The Dog & I generate enough METHANE gas to run the car, if we could trap & contain it!
In the U.K. during WWII a man generated METHANE gas from hog manure & some type of acid, pressurized it, and ran his old Hillman on it.
Has anyone known of a Model A running on Propane? Bill W.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
pooch

I will run my CCPU on propane.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #17
dave in australia

Quote:
2many,
The Dog & I generate enough METHANE gas to run the car, if we could trap & contain it!
In the U.K. during WWII a man generated METHANE gas from hog manure & some type of acid, pressurized it, and ran his old Hillman on it.
Autogas, a propane/butane mixture, is a popular fuel for cars way down here in Oz. It is also about half the price of petrol.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
When I read things like this it makes me wonder if people are joking or actually have not driven an A with properly restored brakes.
*shuug*
Kudos Mike,

However if you are ever in NJ I would be glad to compare your "A"s stopping capabilities to ours. Maybe I'm wrong and ours isn't up to par?

After that, we can compare it to my 2700LB 2012 car which is rated to stop in 123 feet @ 60MPH to see which stops quicker, forget about pedal effort or being able to steer while panic stopping.

Last edited by MrTube; 01-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Flathead

I'll bet your 2012 car has more of a rubber footprint on the road too. The only improvement disc brakes offer is better cooling to prevent brake fade in heavy/repeat braking, and they are less affected by water. Properly functioning drum brakes will stop a car plenty fast and safe.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
Jordan

Quote:
2many,
There's a man here in Texas who has a Model A pickup that he uses propane as it's primary source of fuel, and then if he can't find any out on the road he uses gasoline. He has two separate tanks.