Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Vintage Copper 47

Default 1947 V8 Ford hard starting

Ok.. so my flathead SIX, (12 volt) is dialed in and starts every time. My friend's stock 47 V8 (6 volt) starter always turns over but doesn't want to start. We can push/pull/bump start it and it runs fine. The coil was replaced recently as well as the condenser. Sometimes it will start after cranking a few extra times, many other times it won't. it doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold... It is getting spark.. I am just wondering if it is the ballast resistor or something else like the lead from the ignition key (still has starter button on the dash) might have a bad lead that makes it short out once in a while?

Please help Fordbarners.. My friend is a luddite and refuses to log on to fordbarn..
but he sure can buy crap on ebay!

Thanks, WALT

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: 1947 V8 Ford hard starting

You say it is getting spark, but question the resistor? Have you tried adding fuel to the carb when it won't start? There is a thread over on the Early V8 forum on voltage checking now. It is going to take a little detective work to track it down.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
fordscript

Check that the earth strap from the back of the r/h head is connected to the firewall. I have had this problem...engine will crank over fine, but not start.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:10 AM   #4
big job

I would jump the coil directly to the battery with jumper wire then try it. That will
rule out a weak resistor. I still will never figure why only Ford used a resistor no other
maker did. I must be a coil thing. And then no resistor on 1949 & up?? Then it has
been said if you use a regular coil you don't use a resistor. I have a regular beer can
coil on my 46 & its instant start . sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
34pickup

Best thing I ever did is convert my 48 to 12 volts.Starts every time before a full revolution is over.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
I would jump the coil directly to the battery with jumper wire then try it. That will
rule out a weak resistor. I still will never figure why only Ford used a resistor no other
maker did. I must be a coil thing. And then no resistor on 1949 & up?? Then it has
been said if you use a regular coil you don't use a resistor. I have a regular beer can
coil on my 46 & its instant start . sam
My friend doesn't listen to me enough.. he bought the coil on ebay.. I told him to send his old coil to Skip Haney.. he just gives me a blank stare. My friend has many cars & motorcycles. But this is his only flathead ford. He doesn't have the passion for the engine, so his knowledge is limited.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote