Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
moasew

Default original sound deadening panels

I have a couple of questions(not that this matters in the big scheme of things) but just curious.

Upon removing the interior from my Early 28 Tudor (Canadian) I found these original deadening panels for the rear of the "A".

Attached are photos of them placed exactly where they would've been on the car. The glue still left on the car(photos attached as well) is easy to determine the placement of such including the ones with half a hole cut out of two of the pieces. The glue clearly shows only one piece on each corner with the half hole cut out was used. The adjacent piece was solid.

Two questions I have is why would Henry use this shape for the panels? I first thought it was to help them shape to the corner of the car better but then they were also used on the flat services. And second what was the purpose of this half hole? I see the repos are just rectangular pads which makes sense. It's almost an allowance for some side light in the rear corner.

The door and side panels were just square/rectangular.

Just wondering if any of you came across this before in your restoration experiences?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_141224.jpg (135.0 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_141242.jpg (150.2 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_141250.jpg (124.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_141259.jpg (153.4 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_135605.jpg (32.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_135716.jpg (151.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170226_140021.jpg (140.7 KB, 163 views)
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
reggiedog

Default Re: original sound deadening panels

HI:

What's that stuff made out of as I'm trying to figure out what Ford really used originally but no one know until now with this stuff you have.

And as I've been told Ford only put sound deadning materal where they thought it would make noise that's why the funny shapes as that's what I was told years ago.

Let me know

Reggidog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Sunnybrook Farm

My September 29 tudor had roughly 5x10inch rectangular single layer cardboard panels that was grey and kind of looked like they had made it out of recycled paper products. Ford didn't throw much away so it could be. I have not seen these in other years. I saved them and reglued them back where they came from as they were still in good condition.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Synchro909

They're no doubt made from off cuts or recycled materials and must have made a difference. I use modern materials for a great result - no body sees it anyway. Just MHO.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
reggiedog

Thanks that what I wanted to know
Old 02-27-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
reggiedog

You know I was thinking here everyone go's out and buy's the sound deadening stuff to cover there whole car. When all you really only need is one roll of it if that. reason is that's what I was going to do until I seen this now. I will do my car the way Ford did way back when. I'm so glade I seen this post as it saved me allot of money that I would of spent. When I really didn't need to as I forgot about what I was told years ago but then again you forget things like that when your a kid.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
BoysToys1928A

Newbe question here, forgive the ignorance, but when you use the sound deadning material is it designed to NOT hold water/moisture, or is it one of those things that it should never get water/moisture in those spots. Not that I intend driving in the rain all the time, but may get caught out in it. Also being in Pennsylvania and the temp changes I don't want to just add material that could collect condensation. Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry
Old 02-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

My 29 Tudor has those original sound deadening pads still in place, and I'd say they are to stop drumming noise. They are in locations where they shouldn't get wet.

In 1978 I worked on a guy's dodge van where he stuffed the front doors full of fiberglass insulation. The van was only a couple years old, and the doors were rusted out.

That first picture isn't my car, but I just posted it to show here you could apply the sound panels. The second picture is my 2-23-29 Tudor, showing the original sound panel, and the overspray of original paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor Rear Inside.jpg (41.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor Rear Seat Brackets 2-23-29.jpg (103.9 KB, 148 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
duke36

many observed original cars had a sound deadener in the doors which resembled roofing mastic.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Took some of that spray can insulation stuff as used to insulated Hot Tubs and inside walls of drafty old houses. There are two basic types . . . there's the EXPANDING kind that as it dries the stuff keeps rising like YEAST filled bread. That material finds it's way into all sorts of nooks and crannies. Then there's the other type that remains pretty much the same mass as when sprayed in.

Sit inside that tinny Tudor sedan and it's now the SOUND of SILENCE. Honestly, the sound deadening inside that Model A Ford seems better than the quietness of our old high quality of days gone by Mercedes Benz sedan.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #11
moasew

Default Re: original sound deadening panels and coachlace

Hi everyone: Glad I was able to save reggiedog some dough.He owes me a brew The material appears to be just a cardboard material covered with a water resistant coating. It's pretty stiff now with age and can be easily snapped in pieces.

Re the shape they may have been made from leftover pieces but still a peculiar shape especially the semi hole.

I'm still very disappointed with the two interior suppliers that they don't properly reproduce the coachlace trim that goes along the top of the door panels.I am getting my made at thistlehillweavers.com in Cherry Valley New York when the CDN dollar is more favorable.They have the original Ford looms. You would think yhey could work with the upolstery suppliers.It's expensive but one of the most visible areas of the car. The new judging guidelines show an original door panel with this coachlace(they call it broadlace) in a business coupe.It is also in the Tudor.I've attached a photo of mine taken from an unexposed area behind the rear seat.It's a much nicer pattern than offered anywhere else.I've attached of what the coachlace should look like in an early 28 CDN car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010191.jpg (61.7 KB, 105 views)
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
old31

I would think that it would be crazy to have a closed car, restore it and not use some type of sound deadening material.

I am pretty sure these guys use Dyna Mat.

http://www.quietride.com/web/viewer...._a_catalog.pdf

I went to home depot and used there self stick stuff on my roadster. Way way cheaper than Dyna Mat (maybe not as good). It made a difference when closing the doors.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
Kahuna

Old 31
If you used the Peal & Seal type from Home Depot or Loews, it is just as good as the expensive Dynamat stuff. AND it really works.
I used it on my 32 Tudor & am now installing it my 56 Victoria.
Great Product & cheap
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 AM   #14
Dodge

My 29 Tudor had the same sound deadening in the back and it had the sound deadening
in the doors as described above. It also had some under the rear side windows.
The dyna mat is great stuff, but also very heavy if you try and do the whole car.
Have you ever tried lifting a box of that stuff???
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #15
Pinesdune

I used this stuff, worked well, https://www.b-quiet.com/?gclid=CJbQq...FYe1wAodQ8AFWw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2603.jpg (73.8 KB, 64 views)
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Old 31
If you used the Peal & Seal type from Home Depot or Loews, it is just as good as the expensive Dynamat stuff. AND it really works.
I used it on my 32 Tudor & am now installing it my 56 Victoria.
Great Product & cheap
Yes, it was the peel and stick foam on the back and shinny foil on the front. I lined my doors, floor boards, and kick panels with it.

I was very happy with the product and the results.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-O-12-in...V516/100028603
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

We cut panels from old worn out blankets, adhered them with old brush-on undercoating, then coat them over with more undercoating. It was a REALLY good silencer & cheep & easy.
Bill Silent
Old 02-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
Terry, NJ

I've been thinking (Look Out!) To really kill those decibels you need air spacing BETWEEN the body and the heat resisting, sound deadening panels . Just gluing the panels to the body steel isn't going to do it. It needs spacing. How about cutting 2" x 2" pieces as a spacers between the body and the sound deadening panels? Something to think about.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

CARPET is s GOOD sound deadner. Chris did his LONG Ford van with foam & carpet on the WHOLE interior, with 4" foam on the floor.
As I talked to him in the other end, our voices would just DISAPPEAR! He had a terrible time just to set up his music system.
One guy made a daytime "sleeping" room, by covering the walls & ceiling with 12 X 12 carpet samples.
Bill Quiet
Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #20
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

On the inside door metal of our 31' Tudor there looks to be old globs of original long dried tar. That was about it!

Now, aside from spray insulation material shot into numerous places, we also trim cut heavy rubber matting and layered the wooden floors front and back. The body sides and rear wall is now packed with modern spray foam sound deadening insulation. Under the rear seat there is material in there too that keeps out road noise. All in all, being inside that Model A Ford is now like sitting within an underground bank vault. Having the Samsung Galaxy Tablet stocked with appropriate 1930s era tunes coupled to a Bluetooth BOSE portable speaker, that ancient car was transformed into a rolling chamber of fine music.