Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #541
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Things still going well! Having a wet fall in the Pacific NW, but driving the woodie plenty when it's sunny. The heart healthy food is boring, but my blood pressure is really good now and I have lost 15 lbs in six weeks! Huffing and puffing all the way. Just like my 221 cu in raised deck replacement block flathead coming up Mt Pickett on the way home from town. Can't wait to find the time this winter to do the 8ba with merc crank. Can you spell 255?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #542
Bill

Am I the only one that noticed the strategically located period correct bottle opener on page 27, post 521, pic#4, Sept 21? Surely an after market add on! You finally found a use for it..Everyone turn back a page. Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #543
Zeke3

Gary, keep up the good work. I am also on that diet for the last five years and have gotten used to it. Also, keep up with your exercise.

I saw that also, the bottle opener. It beats breaking the top of the bottle off on the door latch.

Last edited by Zeke3; 10-21-2019 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added a note to GB.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #544
'36 5W

You two are likely the only ones to catch the bottle opener on
the left door!
Ok Gary; explain to us near-sighted coots the scenario that calls for that strategic location.
(Glad to see you are getting back on track in the health dept.)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #545
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by '36 5W View Post
You two are likely the only ones to catch the bottle opener on
the left door!
Ok Gary; explain to us near-sighted coots the scenario that calls for that strategic location.
(Glad to see you are getting back on track in the health dept.)

Well, I have a half mile of dirt road off the county road to get to my driveway. This dirt road is owned by the landowners on Pickett's Lane and I'm the only one who maintains it. (1974 Oliver/White construction tractor). Driving home from town, all six bottles are in the six pack until I hit the turn-off. Then I check the mail box and occasionally I will relieve a beer bottle of it's cap with this device......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #546
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Well, I have a half mile of dirt road off the county road to get to my driveway. This dirt road is owned by the landowners on Pickett's Lane and I'm the only one who maintains it. (1974 Oliver/White construction tractor). Driving home from town, all six bottles are in the six pack until I hit the turn-off. Then I check the mail box and occasionally I will relieve a beer bottle of it's cap with this device......
Sounds like you're drinking some of the good local craft beer that needs an opener, not the mass market twist off cap variety!
Old 10-29-2019, 06:24 PM   #547
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Sounds like you're drinking some of the good local craft beer that needs an opener, not the mass market twist off cap variety!

Well, you know now that I'm a woodie guy......
Old 05-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #548
GB SISSON

We are getting deep into spring here. With the change in the weather I'm going to get perhaps 3 more coats of varnish on in the next few weeks. My diesel conversion is winding down on my tonner pickup and the woodie calls from it's winter resting shed. I don't think I mentioned that as much as I LOVE the look of the 6.50 16 bias tires, I grew tired of the wandering. I replaced them with excellent used 215 85r 16s that have been very common on dually pickups. They are tall and skinny and if I recall, I got 4 pretty much as new at a roadside used tire lot for 125.00. The difference in ride, steering and handling is like night and day. I installed them with the old manual tire changer I got at the Portland swap meet last year. I never balance, but hey, what a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodie with radials.jpg (82.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #549
tubman

Been there, done that, got the "T"-shirt. Amazing improvement, ain't it?

And you should try balancing them! (Quality tires are usually close, though)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #550
GB SISSON

Really, a guy could build a balancer with a cone on a nail and set weights here and there til it lays flat and then pound them on. Maybe I'll do it after lunch tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:03 AM   #551
Mart

Deleted. sorry read the tyre size wrong.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #552
tubman

I bought a cheap bubble balancer from Northern Tool. After I used it a couple of times, some little sheet metal screws came loose and it fell apart. I fixed it by drilling the holes out, taping them, and using machine screws. Ever since then it has worked fine and I don't have to go to the tire shop anymore. $6 a tire for balancing plus fixed charges for shop supplies and disposal fees. Then there's the long wait because they really don't want to work with tires that they haven't sold.

Your method will probably work fine, too.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #553
51504bat

Maybe time for another build?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6214936488_c1147f55b5_o.jpg (50.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 627fa5a104474e2e7516cb6f417aadbe.jpg (83.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 03:58 PM   #554
GB SISSON

Quote:
Maybe time for another build?
I think it might be YOUR turn. That is one Looooong car! Gotta be a straight 8 or something under that snout! What is that?
Old 03-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #555
51504bat

From a posting on the HAMB:

This 8 door 1940 La Salle woodie originally served at Meadow Brook Hall and was used to take staff to town on their days off and to drive guests around the estate. It was donated in 1950 to the Pontiac Boys Club and eventually was obtained by the present owner, who resides in California.

Meadow Brook Hall is a mansion in Rochester Hills, Michigan.
Old 03-10-2021, 11:40 PM   #556
GB SISSON

Quote:
From a posting on the HAMB:

This 8 door 1940 La Salle woodie originally served at Meadow Brook Hall and was used to take staff to town on their days off and to drive guests around the estate. It was donated in 1950 to the Pontiac Boys Club and eventually was obtained by the present owner, who resides in California.

Meadow Brook Hall is a mansion in Rochester Hills, Michigan.
I gotta think that down in Cali, even a long board would look short on that roof. The staff from that estate were rollin' High Style on their outing into town, and good thing they had a chauffer on the ride home.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:15 AM   #557
cas3

Must have had a truck driver who knew to take turns WIDE ! or else it would have been crashed at some point in its life
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #558
GB SISSON

So on Saturday I took a friend back to the ferry in the woodie and we were a bit late so we did 55 on a couple of straightaways. Been running GREAT! Well I stopped in town before returning home and ol' Woodie wouldn't start back up. One solenoid click then nuttin'..... I'm hanging over the fenders cleaning connections with nothing but a pair of needle nose vicegrips.I have a toolbag I 'always' take with me', but I won't forget it again. I added a couple strips of sandpaper to it's contents too. Six volt or 12 volt, the stuff has to be clean..... Just a reminder to bring a few tools! Nice that good weather is returning!

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-04-2021 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #559
dlyle

Always satisfying when you can fix it so no tow is needed.
dlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #560
petehoovie

GB manning his finishing saw for those delicate cuts....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote