Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
DC 69

Default 1929 CCPU Tail Light

I don't believe I have the correct style tail light on my 1929 (Aug.) CCPU. Looking for help finding a picture or link of correct light.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
DC 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: 1929 CCPU Tail Light

https://www.brattons.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=19470
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Joe K

This could be a standard "teacup" painted black (nickel frame) depending on your date range.

My March '29 CC pickup was originally fitted with "type H" headlights, and the drum tail-light. The headlight buckets were the smaller wire hole "type H" and the drum tail-light bracket was found in the cab shoulder pocket. It had been refitted with Two-light reflectors and wiring/switch and a Teacup prior to my ownership. I have since "reverted" the truck. (including the difficult to find "four finger" light switch.)

The "change-over" to the car line to Two-Light headlights is considered to be February 1929 (p. 322 Service Bulletins) So my truck was beyond that by a month.

Generally the truck line is where Henry sent all the "outmoded, obsoleted or damaged" car line parts. Never waste anything Henry. My truck would be an example of that.

The Judging Standards generally give the truck lines an additional 90 days of flexibility on design changes because of this. So add three months onto February, brings the possibility of type-H headlights (and possibly Drum tail) for '29 trucks to late May early June.

So given you're August '29 I would say you probably want a Teacup, and make your headlight design the deciding factor in what tail-light you use as these tended to be installed as "systems."

But even that is not set in stone. Many trucks were assembled at Assembly Plants remote from Rouge, where standards and parts availability were even more variable. My own truck was assembled in Somerville, MA

Frugal Henry.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 10-01-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Mike Peters

Yeah, Joe is right. I was thinking AA trucks. Tail lights on pickups went both ways in 29.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-P1150579.jpg (50.1 KB, 25 views)
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
DC 69

Wow gentlemen! Thanks for the great education. This is exactly what I hope for on this forum.

My '29 CCPU has fluted headlight lens, which my dad said were original to the vehicle.

Based on the shared info, I will be looking for a Tea Cup Lamp with red & amber lens.
DC 69 is offline   Reply With Quote