Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Redoing Brakes

These days, how much does it cost to redo your whole brake system (original way) including cast iron drums? My brakes on my AR feel good but I was warned that they need to be completely rebuilt.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Redoing Brakes

I was recently quoted $500 a wheel, my 30 pickup truck has original style brakes/parts, do not remember if parts/drums were upgraded parts/replacements. Shoes and drum were in OK but worn shape, so we decided to scuff up the shoes and have the place adjust as good as they can. Did not have $2000 in the bank to spend on this. Looks like I will have to save up the money.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

$2000 is a reasonable estimate if you choose to do most of the work yourself. If you are hiring someone to 'turn-key' the work for you, generally speaking between $3,300-$3,500 to do everything. There is a lot of work to restore everything on an early Model-A (-no such thing as an AR Model-A) as some of the components are unavailable and must be restored instead of replaced.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
I was recently quoted $500 a wheel, my 30 pickup truck has original style brakes/parts, do not remember if parts/drums were upgraded parts/replacements. Shoes and drum were in OK but worn shape, so we decided to scuff up the shoes and have the place adjust as good as they can. Did not have $2000 in the bank to spend on this. Looks like I will have to save up the money.

As an fyi, they quoted 8 hrs labor per wheel. This was for a late 30, and do not think it included new backing plate assemblies.

For the work we agreed on

• Adjust all brakes
    • Scuff rear shoes
    • Reassemble
    • Repack bearings
    • Replace front axle bearings $710.00
Old 12-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
CarlG

Contact Randy Gross.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
jw hash

I`m with Carl contact Randy Gross 714 292 8660
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
These days, how much does it cost to redo your whole brake system (original way) including cast iron drums? My brakes on my AR feel good but I was warned that they need to be completely rebuilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Contact Randy Gross.

Does Mr. Gross also rebuild brake shaft housings, brake cross-shafts, rebush the pedal, install tracks on plates, center/arc the shoe linings, etc. for a hobbyist to rebuild their entire system?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Be are to start any conversation with the fact that you have an "AR" system which I assume you want to retain. I think you are going to find that most parts are for the later systems.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Does Mr. Gross also rebuild brake shaft housings, brake cross-shafts, rebush the pedal, install tracks on plates, center/arc the shoe linings, etc. for a hobbyist to rebuild their entire system?
When I had Randy do my brakes, I sent him everything from the backing plate out. Everything came back like it was new from the factory with cast drums. He does all the other things that you mentioned but since those had been done previously and were in good condition, I didn’t have them done.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
When I had Randy do my brakes, I sent him everything from the backing plate out. Everything came back like it was new from the factory with cast drums. He does all the other things that you mentioned but since those had been done previously and were in good condition, I didn’t have them done.

Thank you. Was just curious.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Be are to start any conversation with the fact that you have an "AR" system which I assume you want to retain. I think you are going to find that most parts are for the later systems.

Charlie Stephens
I would like to keep the AR system but the struggle I have with it is that the emergency brake does not run independently from the brakes, which I do not like for safety reasons. Though I suppose if the system was completely rebuilt you would not have to worry about failures.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
daren007

Scuff shoes? Please explaine.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
AL in NY

I just redid the brakes on my 30 CCPU myself and the figure of $2000 is way too high. If you are any kind of mechanic, the parts will cost you: 4 cast iron drums = $1000, 8 new brake shoes= $256 and some odd and ends= $100. Your labor is not included and that includes arcing the shoes yourself (not that complicated). My truck will now stop as good as any car with non-power assisted brakes.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Contact Randy Gross.
agree with Carl, Randy was very helpful.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

If you buy new drums and relined shoes see if you can get the person you buy them from to arc them.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Scuff shoes? Please explain.

Brakes are glazed, it was the shops description of whatever they do to recondition them. What exactly they do I do not know.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I just redid the brakes on my 30 CCPU myself and the figure of $2000 is way too high. If you are any kind of mechanic, the parts will cost you: 4 cast iron drums = $1000, 8 new brake shoes= $256 and some odd and ends= $100. Your labor is not included and that includes arcing the shoes yourself (not that complicated). My truck will now stop as good as any car with non-power assisted brakes.

The $2000 included labor to have it done, I am not a mechanic. Well worth it to me having someone familiar do it correctly, than for me to try to learn how and mess it up.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:48 PM   #18
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I do a lot of brake work so I feel pretty qualified to respond.
I usually tell customers that typical comprehensive brake jobs run approximately 30-40 hours labor. I use cast iron drums and bonded soft lining and replace parts as they warrant. Bushings, shafts, all levers pins cross shaft and all are part of the brake job. I use Randy’s drums and have had good success and he is super.
I will add that here is lot more to doing a brake job than just getting your assemblies from one of the supplies that provides that service. Unless you are schooled at adjustment , brake cross shafts pedal to drums I think that it is a process of a complete job that if I were a cuStomerI would rather have a guy like myself or Brent doing the job. I understand there are many areas where there isn’t a mechanical restorer resident so that is another case .
Your early AR brake system has its non standard complexity as well.

Cost wise for labor outsourced and parts you are looking at $3k to 3500 which I believe is about what Brent said. Parts only about $1300-1500ish give or take depending on what’s uncovered . Also, many times while the brakes are down there are other issues uncovered that need attention. Front end work, steering boxes, rear axle, spring shackles etc. you may have issues with many of these but not know it and they of course aren’t covered with core replacements by mail order. Restored properly and adjusted properly the model abraded can stop on a dime. All my customers are always happy with my brakes and know especially if they are local they have brake adjustments for life from me. Of course that’s my life !
Brakes, front ends, etc are not brain surgery but there is experience and process and standards that make the difference between a poor system and a well restored system and car.

All the best for 2019!

Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 12-29-2018 at 07:59 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #19
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I do a lot of brake work so I feel pretty qualified to respond.
I usually tell customers that typical comprehensive brake jobs run approximately 30-40 hours labor. I use cast iron drums and bonded soft lining and replace parts as they warrant. Bushings, shafts, all levers pins cross shaft and all are part of the brake job. I use Randy’s drums and have had good success and he is super.
I will add that here is lot more to doing a brake job than just getting your assemblies from one of the supplies that provides that service. Unless you are schooled at adjustment , brake cross shafts pedal to drums I think that it is a process of a complete job that if I were a cuStomerI would rather have a guy like myself or Brent doing the job. I understand there are many areas where there isn’t a mechanical restorer resident so that is another case .
Your early AR brake system has its non standard complexity as well.

Cost wise for labor outsourced and parts you are looking at $3k to 3500 which I believe is about what Brent said. Parts only about $1300-1500ish give or take depending on what’s uncovered . Also, many times while the brakes are down there are other issues uncovered that need attention. Front end work, steering boxes, rear axle, spring shackles etc. you may have issues with many of these but not know it and they of course aren’t covered with core replacements by mail order. Restored properly and adjusted properly the model abraded can stop on a dime. All my customers are always happy with my brakes and know especially if they are local they have brake adjustments for life from me. Of course that’s my life !
Brakes, front ends, etc are not brain surgery but there is experience and process and standards that make the difference between a poor system and a well restored system and car.

All the best for 2019!

Larry Shepard

what is the story behind the "pill" sometimes used on the front mechanism? Surely that is not original...
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
what is the story behind the "pill" sometimes used on the front mechanism? Surely that is not original...
You are correct, -it is NOT original. The 'pill' is someone's cobbling to compensate for worn parts. It is placed between the brake roller wedge and the operating pin.

We have actually seen vehicles come to have brakes restored that had multiple 'pills' stacked on each other trying to compensate for worn parts. If you have the need to use these 'pills', you really need to find the item(s) that are out of specification. The first place I would suggest is the operating pin itself.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com