Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default carb stall

Hi All,

Need some help on this one. I have a Marvel carb on my car that has stalled out on me twice going around a curve. I am thinking that the float valve is sticking in the closed position somehow. After she sits for about a minute she fires right back up.

I have fuel in the throat that I can see and feel. The only thing that I can think of doing is enlarging the brass housing just enough so that the needle has a tad more slop in it and doesn't get cock eye in the housing. Sound reasonable?

Mike
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: carb stall

MMMM gas cap not venting? Easy enough to check without tearing stuff apart. I'm thinkin you are at the start of crud build up in the cap itself.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Dick Steinkamp

Seems like it would stall at times other than going around a corner if the gas cap wasn't venting.

I would think instead of not enough fuel, it may be a case of too much...especially if you can see fuel in the carb throat. In any case, I'd check the float setting and make sure the float bowl needle and seat are working properly.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
dpson

Having just gone through setting the float on a Marvel carb, thanks to other articles here on the forum, the quickest way is to remove the carb, take off the cover and check the float level by using a 1/4 inch drill across the cover to check the distance from the cover to the top of the float (bottom of float when turned upside down). You can also order the fuel level measuring kit from Renner's, be aware the instructions on some of Renner's kits say 1/2 inch from bowl flange to the fuel level, however in speaking with them this should actually be 3/4 inch. They also have gaskets that can be used to adjust the fuel inlet valve height and not have to bend the float.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Herb Concord Ca

Hi Mike before you modify anything, I have a few used Marvel float needles for you to try.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Hi All,

Need some help on this one. I have a Marvel carb on my car that has stalled out on me twice going around a curve. I am thinking that the float valve is sticking in the closed position somehow. After she sits for about a minute she fires right back up.

I have fuel in the throat that I can see and feel. The only thing that I can think of doing is enlarging the brass housing just enough so that the needle has a tad more slop in it and doesn't get cock eye in the housing. Sound reasonable?

Mike
Gotta know more about the cause! What you describe as the car stalling, is definitely around gas flow, but, you stated you let the car sit and then it will start up again. Have You installed and inline filter? These filters tend to plug and really are designed for fuel pump systems. Also, is there rust in the tank plugging things up? I would do a bit more investigating as I run a Marvel carb, and it works great! Not saying you are not right but, Just sayin, could be fuel flow to the carb from the tank! And that fits the fact that when the engine starves for fuel and quits, enough flow from the tank replenishes the float chamber and off you go again!

Last edited by DHZIEMAN; 06-24-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: More info
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Fred K-OR

Another thought from someone not knowing anything about Marvel carbs, but how soon does the rig quit? Is it just as you start to turn or after you are into the turn awhile? If it was just at the start of the turn, could something in your rig shift so that something grounds out your spark? If into the turn or towards the end of the turn, then like mentioned above it seems like it would be gas.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
1930artdeco

Finally was able to goof around with the carb. I just built up another carb and installed it with a viton tip valve. Well, it didn't shut off so had to change to a ball bearing type shut off valve-worked like a champ. Went out for a drive and except for a sticky throttle (working to fix that) it runs quite well. I just need to fine tune it now and she didn't stall out once! But I will still keep the zenith as a back up.

Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

First posting said you had a Marvel?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
1930artdeco

Yes and so far I really like it. Just need to fine tune it. But I keep the zenith as a back just in case it goes south.

Mike
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Yes and so far I really like it. Just need to fine tune it. But I keep the zenith as a back just in case it goes south.

Mike
HOW CUM ALL Bad Parts go SOUTH????---Do they bring a GOOD price, in ARGENTINA???
"Maybe" I'll sell them my stock water pump, with a 2 BLADE FAN???
Bill Confused???