Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #281
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Anybody taking bets on how long this thread is going on?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #282
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Anybody taking bets on how long this thread is going on?

David Serrano
Awhile yet, I hope!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #283
woofa.express

I’ve had 2 accidents and 2 incidents, both incidents resulting in damage. This is about the lead up to each accident and why. There is one story each day. Someday I will exhaust my memory and thus the stories so I will string them out. Plus each report is long enough.
Each story will be told correctly, nothing omitted and I will give the reasoning.
# 1. 1968.

A Callair aeroplane, not a well known type but very simular to, and perhaps a copy of the Piper Pawnee. To fly ag one needs an“ag rating”. This is issued following a 40 hours flying instruction and a flight test by (at the time) a CASA flight testing officer. They were government pilots without ag experience and were pretty meaningless. Every course was about spreading fertilizer with on the job practical experience. There was no courses at all on spraying and my first job was spraying of cotton on the West Australian Ord River Irrigation Scheme. I had flown only 2 hours of ag in 6 months because that period included the off season. I did several trips to Adelaide for annual inspections on the aeroplanes. A distance of 1900 statue miles. Now that’s a long flight for a service isn’t it?
Now back to the accident. A straight forward square or rectangular cotton field where the plant had only recently emerged. The first run was at the low end of the irrigation paddock, the farmer who marked or flagged as an American pilot would say, on a track at the end of the field which was on higher ground. Well I lifted off the crop and struck the ute on the left front pillar. Quite a bang and I left the undercarriage in the next field. I made a good landing on one wheel and very fortunately did not have a prop strike.
Should the ute have been parked on the level with the crop I feel I would still not have cleared it.
Why did I hit the vehicle. Simple. I pulled up too late. I had very little experience in spraying as compared with spreading which is an operation about 100 feet off the ground.

Could this have been avoided. Yes. If the operator had spent just 30 minutes in a two seater aeroplane giving me exposure and instruction it would not have happened.That’s a shame but it is history and cannot be changed.

This operator had 3 Callair planes and by chance some 50 years later one of them has come to live at Tocumwal and used as a glider tow plane pictured here. I am not sure if this is the one I speak about but it is one of the three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg call air second photo.jpg (6.4 KB, 22 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #284
woofa.express

#2 Incident at Kingston’s Rest.

Kingston’s Rest is a short stretch of road which runs through what was previously Dunham River Station, it’s enroute to Hall’s Creek. It’s where a grader driver by the name of Kingston was stranded in the wet season between Dunham River and a creek to the north. He graded that road each day so he could not be fired, well that's the common story anyway.
Dunham River Station has a large fertile and flat area on which they had spent a large amount of capital. They built housing and workshops there along with an airstrip which has an unusual feature. A telephone line crossing it. It’s not unusual to find power wires but not telephone wires. What’s more there is a telephone pole in the middle of the strip. I betcha there is no other airstrip in the world with a telephone pole in the middle.
The airstrip and surrounding area is prone to bulldust. Very fine and light dust when dry conditions prevail. It can be up to 18 inches deep. From the air one can spot road train dust some 40 miles away. In the west a body truck can pull 3 stock trailers and in the territory 2 stock trailers.
I had taken delivery of a brand new Piper Cub the afternoon prior to this incident. Next morning I flew to Kingston’s Rest to give the manager a flight around the station so as he could survey the cattle. His first flight in this brand spanking new aeroplane.
A road train drove along the track adjacent to the airstrip. I watched the dust rise from the wheels and it was considerable. Next thing the aeroplane was vertical on it’s nose. Very quick. This wasn’t just the road train dust but a willy willy that had travelled up behind me and I had not seen this.
It resulted in a bent propeller and other damage to the nose cowl and left hand wing tip.Fortunately the engine crank was not bent. It took about a fortnight for repairs and get the plane going again.
What could I have done to prevent it. Well nothing. If the road train hadn’t passed maybe I may have suspected willy willy. Maybe. We will never know.

What is the difference between an accident and incident. Well I guess and accident is induced by pilot or associated person and an incident not.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #285
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
#2 Incident at Kingston’s Rest.

Kingston’s Rest is a short stretch of road which runs through what was previously Dunham River Station, it’s enroute to Hall’s Creek. It’s where a grader driver by the name of Kingston was stranded in the wet season between Dunham River and a creek to the north. He graded that road each day so he could not be fired, well that's the common story anyway.
Dunham River Station has a large fertile and flat area on which they had spent a large amount of capital. They built housing and workshops there along with an airstrip which has an unusual feature. A telephone line crossing it. It’s not unusual to find power wires but not telephone wires. What’s more there is a telephone pole in the middle of the strip. I betcha there is no other airstrip in the world with a telephone pole in the middle.
The airstrip and surrounding area is prone to bulldust. Very fine and light dust when dry conditions prevail. It can be up to 18 inches deep. From the air one can spot road train dust some 40 miles away. In the west a body truck can pull 3 stock trailers and in the territory 2 stock trailers.
I had taken delivery of a brand new Piper Cub the afternoon prior to this incident. Next morning I flew to Kingston’s Rest to give the manager a flight around the station so as he could survey the cattle. His first flight in this brand spanking new aeroplane.
A road train drove along the track adjacent to the airstrip. I watched the dust rise from the wheels and it was considerable. Next thing the aeroplane was vertical on it’s nose. Very quick. This wasn’t just the road train dust but a willy willy that had travelled up behind me and I had not seen this.
It resulted in a bent propeller and other damage to the nose cowl and left hand wing tip.Fortunately the engine crank was not bent. It took about a fortnight for repairs and get the plane going again.
What could I have done to prevent it. Well nothing. If the road train hadn’t passed maybe I may have suspected willy willy. Maybe. We will never know.

What is the difference between an accident and incident. Well I guess and accident is induced by pilot or associated person and an incident not.
Were you in the air when this 'incident' took place? Taxiing? Just sitting in the plane? Or sitting in the hanger?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #286
woofa.express

to 40 Deluxe.
I had landed and was stationary waiting for the manager to appear and jump in.

You are a good constant reader of my stories 40 Deluxe. It is pleasing to see that you enjoy them, or seem to anyway. Thankyou, gary

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-24-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #287
woofa.express

#3. Accident in Helicopter. 1973.

Well I really messed up what was a good machine.

Willaroo Station was 5 million acres of mixed country west of Katherine N.T. A large part had been cleared and sown to sorghum. The balance was of mixed quality grazing country. The property was won in a government land ballet and the winner was also an operator of a helicopter fleet. Thus the station was provided a permanent helicopter for stock mustering and general use. Sometimes the station had two and on this day three, the third simply passing through enroute to other work.
The three were parked fairly closely together with an old VW Kombi used as parts storage infront along with farming items and windsock. One could not takeoff over these obstructions so it was practise to turn 180 and depart from where the helicopters were parked. My machine was in the middle of the other two. I gassed from a 44 gallon drum and hand pump. Because I had to back out before I turned I did not bother to remove the drum on the right. Big mistake.
I had not expected what was to follow. I cranked and was warming up when unexpectedly the helicopter on my right also cranked. Well I did what I considered gentlemanly and let him warm up and depart. Well no longer did I have to reverse out. My right was clear so I quickly and perhaps too quickly did a wide sweeping turn to the right to face the opposite direction for my departure. Not back out as planned. Well you can see what was going to happen can’t you? Yes, I struck the 44 and rolled into the dirt. It doesn’t take long to trash a perfectly good helicopter with blades whirling around and slapping the ground.
I had accrued at the time a little over 3K hours flying of which 1008 was in helicopters. Haven’t flown one since. Got the sack and went back to agricultural work which was much more rewarding besides being more lucrative. I remain in that industry today and will until I retire next year.
When I was at flying school in 1966 a well known accident investigator by the name of Paddy someone gave a talk on accidents in general. I distinctly remember him saying a change in plan leads to increased risk. Here is a case of just that. What would have prevented this accident. Answer. Shifting the 44 following refuelling of course.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #288
woofa.express

# 4 Incident north of Deniliquin NSW. Late 1980’s.

I had owned a radial Airtractor powered by a Pratt and Whitney R1340. R meaning radial, (9cylinder) and the numbers meaning cubic inch capacity. The R1340 has a large crank, probably 3 and half inch diameter by memory. I replaced this aeroplane with the biplane Agcat, power by a Pratt and Whitney R985 which has a 2 and half inch crank, again by memory. Keep that in mind.
It is or was anyway, common practice to do flat turns around obstructions such as power poles or trees. An out of balance rudder turn whilst keeping the wings level. Slightly uncomfortable.
Gyroscopic effect is when a spinning mass acts 90 degrees from the input. By example don’t you notice when shift direction of a powered up angle grinder the shift in the machine is not what you applied? If you turn it horizontally it twists in your hand. Other examples can be illustrated when you lift a bicycle front wheel, spin wheel and turn handle bars, the bike wants to lay over. Now that’s a long explanation isn’t it.
Both the R1340 and R985 have large propellers attached to their crankshafts and gyroscopic effect applies here. A rapid flat turn puts enormous pressure on the crank and components in the crank case including the con rods. (Again at 90 degrees to the input.)
I recognised this and keeping in mind the R985 has a smaller diameter crank I modified my flat turns but I think too late.

Now fast forward.
I was spraying a rice crop, spray height about 6 feet. Just the moment I lifted for the return run I heard this fihh fihh fihh noise. I figured I had a cracked cylinder head which makes the same or similar noise. I climbed and turned left towards a strip only 500 yards away. I started to loose power and pushed the throttle open. She quit. Even the propeller stopped rotating. Well I couldn’t make the strip and all the ground nearby had be worked into check bank contours for past rice crops. I had no where to go. One can think fast and clearly - believe me. There was a small channel infront and I figured I’d bounce over that so I let the aeroplane hit the ground hard and pulled back. Yes it worked BUT on the other side of this channel was a suspension fence nicely hidden with high grass and the weed “Patterson’s curse”. (it was springtime) That pulled me in. The immediate deceleration to a stop and stationary turn to the right was most unpleasant. So was my view of my aeroplane because it was badly damaged. If I had seen the fence maybe I would have turned but would have messed up the aeroplane on those check banks and probably over turned. I don’t know.
I don’t recall the year but I do recall the date. My birthday. The aeroplane was rebuilt and returned to service. I quit doing big input flat turns.
I ended up with 3 Agcats and the farmers loved them. Slow and able to get manoeuvre in difficult places. I did sell off 2 when I purchased a turbine Airtractor. I also bought an eastern block Dromadier which gave me nothing but pain and I grew to hate this aeroplane.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #289
woofa.express

I'm off to our Biannual meet on Sunday our time.

Our national biannual Model A meet starts in 4 days at the South Australian town of Murray Bridge. We can make it in one day okay but have elected to take 2 and enjoy the trip. When last I spoke to the conveners I was told some 120 vehicles had registered. No I guess the vehicles can’t register but the owners would have.
Murray Bridge was named for the obvious reason. The Murray /Darling rivers being Australia’s longest river system. The town has a population of 18K. It is an agricultural service centre for the grain and grape industries plus a retirement centre for farmers who don’t wish to live in Adelaide, even though Adelaide is a delightful city with a population of only1.2 mil and it’s like stepping back in time.
I have been writing a short story each day and have enjoyed doing so. It could be nearly a fortnight before I write again. I’ll leave you with a small trivia story. Cheers, gary.

Shop attendant asking for payment.

That will be $16 (say).
No, I reply, that’s not correct. And they add up again and say $16. And again I say that’s not correct.
Well what is it?
“It’s $16 please.”

I remember a lad omitting the please. Dad looking on and watching with some degree of concern and uncertainty, but when I hit the lad with my punch line there was no doubt the smile on dad’s face showed his approval of his customers lesson to his boy.
Patsy reckons no matter how persistently I try, I won't change the world.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #290
woofa.express

One last story before our National Meet starting on Tuesday.
Happy little kids, Happy big kids.

I have 2 A’s plus a 1950 GM Holden in our yard, being prepared for the biannual meet. We depart tomorrow.
Late in the avo I saw a few kids walking down the road outside my front entrance. I invited them in, the few kids that is. Well there must have been another 30 following right behind that I did not see. In all I had what appeared to be 40 including adults in the yard crawling in and over the cars. I am not overly protective with the cars and they weren’t damaging them so that was okay. One of the adults showed me an on phone picture of his roadster and I immediately accused him of murder. On a closer inspection I saw it was a Chev so gave him a reprieve.
Isn’t it good that kids can enjoy an experience like that. And the big kids as well. A woman in the neighbourhood who owns an MGB says there’s a child in us all.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #291
woofa.express

A Great Meet.

The 25th biannual meeting of the National Model A association at Murray Bridge S.A.. The shire major spoke at the registration dinner and promoted his shire and it’s industries well. In particular agriculture which pleased me. He said he was rebuilding a G.M.Holden and maybe that didn’t go down so well amongst Ford enthusiasts.
I took 2 Model A’s. My Tourer and Ute. My team mates wanted to enter the ute in for judging and I agreed even though it had some post manufacture changes such as an alternator. I am told it met with enthusiasm by the judges until they put their heads under the front end and found I had removed the post manufactured shocks. They were new gas filled but were too sharp and uncomfortable to ride in. Woofa. Express was immediately disqualified however this did not offend me at all.
I have included a shot of the name painted on the engine cowl. The “barn” must have many readers here in Australia for many came to me or my crew and enquired if I was Gary. It is only the barn where I write and under the name as you well know, Woofa.Express.
I had lifted one side of the engine cowl showing dust sticking to the oil residue and rustmarks from a previous radiator. Everything created interest. Had a photo of the“late” Woofa on the radiator plus I played period music such as “get out and get under”, “Henry made a lady out of Lizzy”. I intend to get period dress for the next meet. It was a great meet and all of this plus writing in the barn has done my ego well.
I had driven some 420 miles to the event, 3 I know drove 1800 miles and quite a few morethan 1,000. These are not kilometres, they’re miles. Some brilliant vehicles, even better than when they were manufactured. I guess this is the same for many events.
Weather gave a 5 out of 6, excellent since we are in spring when we get cold fronts coupled with wind. I’d like to say rain too because we are in severe drought.
I commend and thank the conveners and organisers of this event. Organising such an event is time consuming and tiring. Not easy. The fairies don’t come at night and do this work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture woofa.jpg (12.9 KB, 18 views)

Old 10-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #292
woofa.express

Gerard takes some interesting shots with Pom’s camera.

I took a job in Sudan in 1977 when we had what seemed to be a never ending drought. There were 11 of us made up of several nationalities. Three English, one whose name was Ian was once the team leader of the Rothmans Aerobatic team, a gentleman of a fellow, one a former crop sprayer from the days when aeroplane spraying was conducted. If I remember correctly regulation made it just too difficult to aerial spray. The third fellow was pretty green and quite disagreeable. I don’t even recall his name.
One bloke in our camp was Gerard, a Dutchman, experienced, personable and not a bad drinker. Never had any money and when he bit me I “loaned” him cash which was never returned but that was okay because he bought liquor which I helped him consume. Gerard was quite a card and he too disliked the disagreeable pom.
The pom in question took many photographs with what was a 35mm camera. He was unmarried and sent the undeveloped rolls home to his mummy to develop and view. Well Gerard takes his camera to a brothel, gets one or two porno shots, I don’t know how many and simply replaces his camera where he found it.
I really don’t know the outcome of course but can well guess. You could too.

A picture of Gerard in Sudan with his pet monkey.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gerry and pet.jpg (36.5 KB, 61 views)

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #293
woofa.express

My Brush with Drug Induced Stupid People.

I was speaking with an elderly- live alone woman in Brisbane recently when a scantily dressed male about late 30’s walked through her yard and speaking on his mobile. I asked him to scat and was abused with stupid, and incoherent speech in responce. Offensive to me and degrading to him. Most words started with F or C.
At Murray Bridge in South Australia I had an object thrown at my car by a male of about the same age. I stopped to challenge him and likewise was abused and for being rich and owning a car. Next time, I was told, it would be my car he steals. Again the bloke spoke very incoherently and was filled with hatred and resentment because I was white.He was predominantly white. I had a bottle of chocolate milk thrown over me.The incoherent speech and abuse continued and again most words started with F and C.
I wanted to belt his face in but decided against it only because it would inconvenience me with police interviews plus I figured I could well get my car doors kicked in. My wife Patsy pointed out that when one is drugged one does not feel pain such as a fist in the face plus under drugs they sometimes have super human strength. That made me pleased I accepted the humiliation and drove on.
In some ways I felt sorry for these two individuals for they would probably get little reward for their lives which would be wasted.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #294
woofa.express

Exhilarating and Embarrassing.

You know what teenage kids are like, especially girls. Always embarrassed about their parents. Yes?
We have a daughter named Sarah. But when she was born my wife Patsy and I couldn’t agree on a name. Her birthday was July 14th 1974. Now that just happened Bastille day (185 years before). The French equivalent to the American 4th July. So being Bastille day she was, in the interim, nick named Fifi. She still wears that name today.
Fifi always had plenty of friends visit and the first question they always asked was “Gary, would you please take us for a ride in your old car”? The car being my 1928 Tourer (Phaeton).
Yes, of course I would. They’d all pile in. Up the road we’d go hiooogaring and waving at oncoming cars pretending we knew them. One could plainly see the confusion on the faces of the oncoming drivers.. The visiting girls getting right in the spirit. Fifi sliding below seat level with embarrassment. Then up town. Hiooogaring at any boys on the footpath. And waving like mad. Under the seat again for Fifi..
God, you can be an embarrassment dad.! I heard that so many times.
A footnote about Fifi. She grew up rebellious and defiant. Gave us more headaches than any of our other three kids. For example she was issued 11 parking offences on one street. She may have thought the parking inspectors would run out of pencils and couldn’t book her any more. Two drink driving offences, she lost her driver’slicence and had to walk. She became fit and thin and still is today. Well Fifi grew into a good citizen, hard working, respectful and considerate of others,successful in business and a loving mother to two happy and disciplined kids. I have great respect for her and am most proud of her. We get along so well now.
Attached Images
File Type: gif fifi.GIF (4.0 KB, 843 views)

Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #295
woofa.express

The Bellbrook Hotel

In 73 and 74 I was flying a Fletcher at Guyra in the New England high country. It was powered by a 400hp normally aspirated engine but lost power with increasing altitude. Guyra area was between 4200 and 4600 feet above sea level and thrust the engine delivered only about 310hp.
I was sent to do a job at Bellbrook which is on the Macleay River and less than 100 feet above sea level. The airstrip was miserably short and the climb to spread this fertilizer was long and arduous. First load a small 18cwt, second 1 ton and thereafter full cans which is 24cwt. The performance of the aeroplane surprised me when it delivered full power. The miserably short airstrip turned into out adequate. That night we were to stay at the Bellbrook Hotel. To get there I was to land on an airstrip over the river, take a Landrover to the river where a boat would be tied up, steam to the opposite side where we were to be driven to the hotel.
It was a Sunday and in those days in order to drink at a pub one had to be a bonifidi traveller. A silly law, much abused and mostly overlooked by police especially in a country town.
I flew over the hotel and saw those coloured round tables that were once fashionable with patrons sitting around enjoying cold beer. Well I was overcome with this big raging fire down my neck and decided not to take those complex travel arrangements that were provided. Opposite the pub was a pasture paddock and that was adequate. I landed, Ray Edwards, my loader driver, and I extracted ourselves and immediately was surrounded by every kid in town. (I looked up on line and see today Bellbrook has a population of 272). This bloke appeared and had a go at me. He said his wife was cutting his hair and I damned near knocked the scissors out of her hand. How come I fly over town so low, it can’t be legal. Obviously he was the policeman. I explained briefly that in order to takeoff or land one has no choice. Look at Sydney I said. He accepted that, I quickly departed to address that raging fire down my neck.
What a great country hotel. River view out the back. Only 13 miles away was the town of Taylors Arm. Today’s (2016 censes) population is 149. The place where Australia’s popular and well known folk singer “Slim Dusty” was born. Well the pub played Slim all night. Hospitable hosts and after cold ol Guyra was a warm evening. We stayed 2 nights and kept the fires quelled well. Both my work buddie Ray and I enjoyed ourselves. That was 44 years ago and neither of us has forgotten. Bet the policeman hasn’t either.

The picture is a Fletcher from the internet and has New Zealand registration.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fletcher fu24.jpg (16.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #296
woofa.express

Educating Gary.

I grew up in New Zealand and thus was schooled there. It was adventure and seeking a flying job that bought me to Australia. I was 19.
An intermediate national school exam in New Zealand was called “school certificate”. One needed a score of 200 or more and 30 or more for the compulsory subject - English. Well I scored very well overall but didn’t get a pass because my English make was a lowly 28. The English exam starts with an essay worth 20 marks.
It was necessary for me to repeat year 12 whilst my buddies with a lower score moved up a class. I resat school certificate the next year, 1965. I got a much better score. The 20 mark essay gave a choice and one being “aerial topdressing in NewZealand”. Didn’t that play into my hands. Even with a pass it gave me no job or work privileges or priorities. Formal education can sometimes be a waste of time and resources for some and that includes Gary. When I look at some university graduates it supports my thoughts. Am I Robinson Crusoe in my thinking?

Coming up tomorrow or Monday. Pilot induced fuel starvation.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #297
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
I have ookbeen an old car nut always and have always noticed the old hulks hiding in the weeds and barn when no one with ever sees a thing. 40 Years ago when I was around 20, I found a farmers scrap yard in northern Wisconsin. It was along a fence line in a low area that looks like it would collect water. Everyone in the area would give him their stuff to get rid of. I walked back in there and mentally noted at least 20 restorable cars along with parts of another 10. They were mostly fords 20s, 30s, and 40s. When my son was around 20, we went back to the same area and it appeared to be all gone from the road. In reality the tree line had grown up all around it to almost completely cover the area. We walked back up in there and the treasure is still mostly there! There are two stock cars, a 41 ford coupe and a 39 ford Coupe both with the steel cages and roll bars and still having there flathead V8 intact. They both have advertising on them and the pit crews and drivers name painted on with a brush! Cant find anyone that lives within 5 miles of the spot that admits they owns this stash !! !!!

yes, antique cars just deteriorating away. It's not uncommon. I know a farmer with 5 vehicles that have now deteriorated beyond economical rebuild. He won't sell. I know of a single cylinder Lance Bulldog tractor likewise just deteriorating in the paddock. The owner won't sell. That is their prerogative and would be okay if they would have put them under cover for prosperity.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #298
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I have SO MANY STORIES, I wouldn't know WHERE to start!!!---It'd take me FOREVER, to tipe even ONE!
Bill Undecidedandslow
I would be pleased to hear them Bill. Start typing. Please

Old 10-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #299
woofa.express

A Pilot Induced Engine Out. (The first of Two.)

There is a very strange tree that grows in the Kimberly region of West Australia and also in Africa. It is the Boab or Boabab tree. One is very well known Boab because years ago the police used it as a jail. It is near Derby W.A. The other is just a regular Boab. The third picture is the Bottle tree which is unique to Queensland. Not quite as grotesque looking. They all hold thousands of gallons of water and I’m told if you poison one and let it dry out you can carry it away on your back.
The Darling Downs is a large flat fertile area on the western side of the Great Dividing Range in Southern Queensland. It extends to the town of Chinchilla to the north west then becomes pockets of fertile soil and in some places undulating. I worked from the town of Miles near Chinchilla. Although located in Queenslandit was named Darling Downs after a governor on New South Wales.
Now what’s this got to do with an engine out. Nothing really but a description of the land I worked in my Cessna Agwagon. An Agwagon is a specifically made agricultural aeroplane made of already existing Cessna components which are arranged in a different configuration. The wings, rear fuselage tail section and undercarriage are Cessna 180/185 stuff. Like all ag planes the fuselage is arranged thus engine up front of course, hopper and pilot in rear which give more concertina effect inevent of crash plus the pilot doesn’t get crushed by hopper payload situated behind him on impact.
I’m getting away from the story aren’t I? Yes. Well in a drought I flew cotton in North Africa flying an Ayres Thrush. Same configurationas I described above but much larger with a Pratt and Whitney radial 1340 cubic inch engine. I returned to Queensland and the Agwagon which I hadn’t flown for four months. My first job was at Wandoan, spraying sorghum which was emerging and getting eaten by cutworm.
Now the Cessna fuel was fed from one tank only, so there was no tank selection, just a Bowden cable to pull to shut off the fuel. Next to the shut off was another Bowden cable for cabin air. Now you know which way this story is heading. Yes?
I was approaching trees at the western end of the field and decided I needed some air. Trees coming up, I felt for the fresh air inlet Bowden cable and pulled it. No air. Pulled it some more. Then engine quit. I lifted, dumped the remainder of the load, did a 180. I was fortunate the westerly wind repositioned me back on the field where I landed down wind, down a gentle slope, in the sticky damp field and between the bottle trees. So very rapidly executed. It was not until I was stopped on the ground that I collected my thoughts and realised what I had done. Shut the fuel off. I was lucky the wind positioned me back to the field. It is an incident caused through lack of currency on type. Even in exactly the same circumstances I doubt if I could repeat the same safe outcome again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wa boab tree.jpg (19.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg boab tree at turkey creek.jpg (17.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg queensland bottle tree.jpg (15.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 AM   #300
woofa.express

Second incidence of Pilot induced Fuel Starvation.

It is the strangest aeroplane I’ve ever seen. An Airtruk. A strange configuration. Engine with pilot immediately behind and hopper filled behind pilot and the load falls under the pilot. Good visibility, beautiful handling characters and dismal safety record. I have declined work simply because I don’t like them and they frighten me.
I did agree to position one back to base following maintenance. The fuel selection valve confused me so I sort an opinion from another pilot. We settled on the shortend of the pointer indicating the selected fuel tank, or visa versa, I don’t recall, (1974).
Nearly back to base the engine quit. I knew immediately why and selected the fuel valve the other way and hit the fuel pump – the same way as I did with the Fletcher- downwards. The engine never picked up and down in the blackberries I went. Got it restarted and took off. Farmers were arriving on their motor bikes but I was airborne.
It turns out that selecting the fuel pump down works only with the starter motor engaged. I should have hit it upwards and I would have had almost immediate power. Most aeroplanes one lifts the toggle to engage. The Fletcher being the only odd one here and since I flew it every day that is what I was accustomed to.
There is similarity in this case and that mentioned yesterday. Not being current on type and especially since one aeroplane type, the Fletcher, was different to all other types.
The picture was sort from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hazeair airtruk.jpg (19.1 KB, 22 views)