Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Kyrvyn

Default 1950 Ford F7, carb leaking fuel

Hi Guys.
My Dad is working on a 1950 Ford F7 truck. It was a fire truck. We put on a new fuel pump (NAPA). When we start the truck, after about 20 seconds fuel will start to drip from the intake of the carb. The carb intake faces the firewall.
I have tried setting the float lower. When I take the top off the carb now, the float bowl is not full to the top. The engine is a flat head V8. The governor is disconnected. The butterfly below the carb is set open. Also can someone tell me the make/model of the carb? The only info on it is on the diaphragm that says "Holley Centri-vac Governor" Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210823_103146254 (2).jpg (65.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210823_103215635 (2).jpg (74.1 KB, 158 views)
Kyrvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: 1950 Ford F7, carb leaking fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvyn View Post
Hi Guys.
My Dad is working on a 1950 Ford F7 truck. It was a fire truck. We put on a new fuel pump (NAPA). When we start the truck, after about 20 seconds fuel will start to drip from the intake of the carb. The carb intake faces the firewall.
I have tried setting the float lower. When I take the top off the carb now, the float bowl is not full to the top. The engine is a flat head V8. The governor is disconnected. The butterfly below the carb is set open. Also can someone tell me the make/model of the carb? The only info on it is on the diaphragm that says "Holley Centri-vac Governor" Thanks for your help.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #3
5851a

NAPA has went off shore along with other big box stores, try one of the rebuilders on the barn. They will know what correct pressure is. Same on Carb.

Last edited by 5851a; 08-28-2021 at 10:17 PM.
5851a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
big job

Wow you bought a new fuel pump from Napa? Went there for a 7 inch sealed beam these new kids thought I'm a alien, no clue they never saw a Jeep? sounds like this fuel pump is over pressuring the float needle valve. Yes its a Holley forget about the governor nothing to with this problem. What is butterfly below is open mean? should be closed for idle. I'm still amazed a pump from Napa. I needed one they are out there if you take out a loan. So i bought a 6vt Bendix electric '3lb pressure' end of that. How is the needle valve? if good still think too much fuel pressure. Also push comes to shove a 4 bolt Rochester will go right on there. I can't remember the model or number till I go to the shop we have all the books on those. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
tubman

I believe "sciala" on this forum has a lot of experience with these old 4 bolt Holley's.

"big job" is right; a small base Rochester 2G will bolt directly to your manifold. If you mount it backwards, the throttle linkage and fuel line will almost fall into place. The manual choke will on the wrong side, but I always use an automatic choke on these as that lines up as well. Since this is a big truck, this may not be applicable, but it works on cars. Although the carb does bolt to the manifold, the throttle bores in the manifold are quite a bit smaller, so it should be bored out. I have a jig and broach for that particular process.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The Holley model 885s are highly susceptible to warpage from heavy handed wrench turners. The die castings are soft enough that they can be damaged easily. The joint between the bowl assembly and the throttle body has to fit well to seal. Any plugs on the float bowl should be checked for leakage during assembly. The accelerator pump circuit also has to hold its mud too.

The power valve system is integral to the top cover and also has to be sealed at the vacuum port on the interface of it and the throttle body for it to work properly.

A fuel pump can sometimes overpower the float valve if the pressure is much more than 2 to 3 psi so a pump pressure check might be in order. If it's too high, a fuel pressure regulator may be in order.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
scicala

The official Holley model number is 885FFG. The G meaning governor. On Pass cars it was an 885FF.
Everything Rotorwrench said is good info.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
Kyrvyn

Reply to Big Job.
Yes, the NAPA had a fuel pump sitting on the shelf. You could be right, I do not know the fuel pressure. The carb sits on a spacer that has butter flys below the carb main butter flys. I believe it is part of the governor.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
scicala

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the governor is all contained on the carburetor with the Holley Centri-Vac governor. I would guess that the spacer may have been added under the carb, or maybe part of the original system, but seems odd to me. I have some governor experience, but not with this application.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #10
big job

Sals right What you have is a velocity type governor That was added Could be something for fire service; could be the Centri vac system failed, who knows. The original gov system is all controlled by vacuum in the bottom of the distrbutor. The faster it spins 'dist.' by centrifugal force a valve opens admitting vacuum to that big
diaphragm on the carb. that starts to close the carb. throttle plates. To set RPMs has to be done in the distributor A real bear to work on. sam

I'll never know why they didn't put distributor up front like its little 8BA brother?
Old 08-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The engineers at Ford must have had some reason why they designed the 337 engine the way they did but it usually boils down to convenience for one reason or another. The trucks may have also needed vacuum for the brake system on those Big Job trucks. Most big trucks has some form of throttle governor to keep the operator from destroying the engine. Some are more complicated than others. Holly made the distributors as a spark control system to work with their carburetors in the 8BA era and on into the Y-block era as well plus the need for truck governors. This also solved Fords design needs pretty well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-30-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Kyrvyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
Wow you bought a new fuel pump from Napa? Went there for a 7 inch sealed beam these new kids thought I'm a alien, no clue they never saw a Jeep? sounds like this fuel pump is over pressuring the float needle valve. Yes its a Holley forget about the governor nothing to with this problem. What is butterfly below is open mean? should be closed for idle. I'm still amazed a pump from Napa. I needed one they are out there if you take out a loan. So i bought a 6vt Bendix electric '3lb pressure' end of that. How is the needle valve? if good still think too much fuel pressure. Also push comes to shove a 4 bolt Rochester will go right on there. I can't remember the model or number till I go to the shop we have all the books on those. sam
Reply to Big Job.
Yes, the NAPA had a fuel pump sitting on the shelf. You could be right, I do not know the fuel pressure. The carb sits on a spacer that has butter flys below the carb main butter flys. I believe it is part of the governor.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:01 AM   #13
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvyn View Post
Reply to Big Job.

Not quite Kyrvyn what you have is now THE governor the real original most likely failed the easy fix is install this type. This type requires no plumbing
easy to set rpms with a simple allen wrench. My big bet it will say "HOOF"
on it who was a major mfg. of this type. This summer we installed one on
a hydroseeder Ford engine. Very common on wood chippers water pumps, generators . sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOVERNOR.jpg (13.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by big job; 08-31-2021 at 05:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The engineers at Ford must have had some reason why they designed the 337 engine the way they did but it usually boils down to convenience for one reason or another. The trucks may have also needed vacuum for the brake system on those Big Job trucks. Most big trucks has some form of throttle governor to keep the operator from destroying the engine. Some are more complicated than others. Holly made the distributors as a spark control system to work with their carburetors in the 8BA era and on into the Y-block era as well plus the need for truck governors. This also solved Fords design needs pretty well.

Yes true but when it comes time for points cond. and such ya need step ladders a Magnet, glasses likely some young blood that can see it. And yes these trucks have a two piece distributor with a clamp whoops there goes that clamp nut that's gone. bottom line is 'I' like 337s got F8 tractor full air road worthy 3 engines in stock, one with 9,000 miles in the shop. So write this up as LOL wish I was 40 yrs younger that's LOL...sam
Old 08-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #15
rotorwrench

"Designed" for convenience of manufacture maybe but definitely not for convenience of service. Same goes for the Y-blocks both large and small. COEs are real fun but they sure look good.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #16
Kyrvyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
Not quite Kyrvyn what you have is now THE governor the real original most likely failed the easy fix is install this type. This type requires no plumbing
easy to set rpms with a simple allen wrench. My big bet it will say "HOOF"
on it who was a major mfg. of this type. This summer we installed one on
a hydroseeder Ford engine. Very common on wood chippers water pumps, generators . sam
Hi Big Job. You are correct. The spacer under the carb is a mechanical governor, I think, but the main governor is built into the carb.
Where is a good place to buy a carb kit?? Where can I buy a fuel pressure regulator to plumb between fuel pump and carb?
Old 09-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #17
big job

Pressure regulator I'd say any local parts store or they can get one. Carb kits pop on
ebay but for a car which will work you mainly need new gaskets, pump cleaning.. As far as a kit with a governor is a tough call, besides all you will get is the rubber diaphram.
Then I had a flash back = we had a Marmon transit bus around a 1960 V8 332 Y block and had that carb then I remember a White WC dump truck had that carb. Maybe others used those too its a start to research. Try Kanter Auto on line sam
Old 09-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #18
big job

New kit on ebay now compatable with todays junk gas $59.95