Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
highbeams

Default interior wood grain.

Interior wood graiing methods?
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Karl

Default Re: interior wood grain.

Try Searching on Grain-It woodgraining they have reproduced the original process
and it works well (with practice)
Old 10-02-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Try Searching on Grain-It woodgraining they have reproduced the original process
and it works well (with practice)
Thank you much!
Old 10-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
rockfla

Have you tried “youtube”? Everyone has their own technique and ways of creating different looks. From what I’ve read and watched, it’s trial, and trail and trial, till YOU find what works for you! I watched “Bitchin Rides” and Dave used a plastic bag after applying one color.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
supereal

I did the wood graining in my '47 convertible. I first applied a light base. When dry,I used
a brush with the bristles cut into an irregular pattern to do the actual graining. Some books say to do the opposite, but I like my way better. I have been asked if the dash and window garnish is real wood, so I must have gotten close to the original. When done to your satisfaction, apply a clear coat. I practiced on sheet metal before the real job. There are good color examples on page E-7 in the excellent 41-48 Club book. Get plenty of solvent to use while practicing so you wipe the practice until you get good at it.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #6
highbeams

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR POSTS, COMMENTS, AND SUGGESTIONS.

As of tomorrow I am on the way to getting this 333window, roadbound via replace the 'olde' once-upon-a-time mechanical-to-hydraulic brake system . . . complete, including passenge-rrear leaking-wheel cylinder. Well, they're all goin' w/the master, lines, shoes & turning.

Tie rod ends, pitman arm.(box= a scary thought.)

directional system install.

yellow'd 'white'walls. go well w/the 'olde' '30s-applied Duncan Blue paint /blk fndrs,orig cream-colored stone-chipped wheels.(forgot that paint name), but they,the tires, gotta go.

I'd rather have the yellow'd than the new white on this car. It, the 'olde' goes so well. I've even considered blackwalls upon reading an article which stated that most if not 95 +- bought blackwalls; particularly depression-experience people. 1933 was known to be the 'nadir' of the depression in '33; little did they know that the experience would groan on.

All for the California motor vehicle inspection.

I've registered it w/them w/ '33YOM plates per their sanction, the '33 plate number is now & always will be the car's 'license to enjoy the California road'

*Of course, the woodgraining is off the inspection requirement, so it's saved for last. There's a semi-unpro hand-painted woodgrain on the dash now. (not on moldings)

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN SO MUCH.(You have also solved the 'locked' glovebox door, as well, using the slip-in-credit-card method that one of you fine gentlemen shared. I apologize for the 'unrembrance' BUT it is there and will be for a future answer, and my recall.

I am awestruck by the kindness of all.

Sincerely,Pat Malone highbeams.