Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Fatheads4ever

Default Valve seat inserts.

Hi all.. would any happen to know the size of the valve seat inserts in a c59a block. Some of mine are looking very wide after regrinding.
Thanks all in advance.
Fatheads4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
bbrocksr

Default Re: Valve seat inserts.

Narrow them with a 30 and a 60 degree stone to about 3/32 .
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatheads4ever View Post
Hi all.. would any happen to know the size of the valve seat inserts in a c59a block. Some of mine are looking very wide after regrinding.
Thanks all in advance.

Having had experience replacing Ford flathead V-8 valve seat inserts I learned one important thing. First remove the original seat ring and now determine if the opening in the block still round. I have found the openings in the block are no longer round just the results of age and so many heat cycles. If the opening is not round a stock replacement ring may be loose or become loose after installation. The interference dimension is so slight if the opening is not round there's a good possibility of the ring becoming loose. To correct this problem I always carefully increase the opening diameter until its round. Once I have the new opening ready for a seat i now order a replacement in the dimension i need. Tucker Valve Seat company can make to order seats.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 10-22-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
supereal

That is a job for a machine shop. We recut the pockets and install hardened seats at our shop. The pockets must carefully examined for cracks. If the seats were replaced at sometime, that can be a problem if done improperly.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
big job

Not darkside but then you do what you gotta do. Back before all these venders a lot of seats were simply ground into the block. So we would bore the block for a known size cast iron water pipe kike a ring and press that in and grind the valve angle. bottom line whats the difference cast iron block cast iron ring. Now with available seats you still have to bore the block .......got these pics in my computer that had heart attack lol maybe it can be fixed......sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Having had experience replacing Ford flathead V-8 valve seat inserts I learned one important thing. First remove the original seat ring and now determine if the opening in the block still round. I have found the openings in the block are no longer round just the results of age and so many heat cycles. If the opening is not round a stock replacement ring may be loose or become loose after installation. The interference dimension is so slight if the opening is not round there's a good possibility of the ring becoming loose. To correct this problem I always carefully increase the opening diameter until its round. Once I have the new opening ready for a seat i now order a replacement in the dimension i need. Tucker Valve Seat company can make to order seats.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ronnieroadster; How much OD do you add to the seat insert after the block has been prepped? Thanks Craig.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
Pete

.006 for cast iron.
.007 for aluminum.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
.006 for cast iron.
.007 for aluminum.
Hi Pete; Thank you, Craig.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig CT View Post
Hi Ronnieroadster; How much OD do you add to the seat insert after the block has been prepped? Thanks Craig.

When I place an order with Tucker I tell them the now round finished valve seat bore diameter in the block. From that information they then decide the proper additional amount needed for the new valve seats so they stay in place once I install them.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #10
Karl Wolf

I replaced all the valve seats in my 59AB.
Found washers that fit in the old seat, arc weld them in.
This shrinks them, they come out easily.
Measure the holes for size. Round, yes- but it's harder.
See if the aftermarket seats will do.
I had seats made, KO Lee, I think. Not a lot of $.
I made a driver from some cast iron plumbing fittings.
The tool uses the valve guide hole to keep the seat square as it's driven in.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #11
Fatheads4ever

Thanks guys.. all good advice

Regards Kevin
Fatheads4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:56 PM   #12
Craig CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
When I place an order with Tucker I tell them the now round finished valve seat bore diameter in the block. From that information they then decide the proper additional amount needed for the new valve seats so they stay in place once I install them.
Ronnieroadster
Hi Ronnieroadster; Thank you, Craig.