Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
[email protected]

Default LED vs HALOGEN

Any ideas on pros/cons of led conversion versus halogen for '31 running on 6v generator?
WHMCJM@SBCGLOBAL.NET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
katy

Default Re: LED vs HALOGEN

LEDs use a lot less power than Halogens.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
ryanheacox

Welcome to the forum! There are both drop in halogen and LED replacement bulbs made. The halogen focuses better than the LED but neither are perfect.

With a generator I would go with LEDs as they draw much less current than halogens. They are also brighter than the drop in halogens. I run LEDs and like them.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheacox View Post
Welcome to the forum! There are both drop in halogen and LED replacement bulbs made. The halogen focuses better than the LED but neither are perfect.

With a generator I would go with LEDs as they draw much less current than halogens. They are also brighter than the drop in halogens. I run LEDs and like them.

X2, have LED on 6 v generator.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Here is another of many strings about LED headlights

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260297
Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

I have no trouble with halogen and generator, for me it's about how far the lights project a beam, light the road and signs, tonight I will do more midnight testing, --- almost 20 years of halogen use, dig out my old regular bulbs for a baseline
I reduced the charge rate when I installed the halogen bulbs replacing the 50cp regular bulbs
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The smaller lights on any car may benefit from LED replacements due to less current draw but headlamps are a different story. Most LED lamp assemblies have clusters of LEDS which don't radiate light in the same way that the original incandescent bulbs did. This makes any current type of LED lamp ineffective for projection for distance of beam. They might be bright but they won't reach out there for distance like a bulb that was designed to be in an adjustable reflector. While a halogen bulb can be made to work well for distance to some degree, an LED still can't.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

My opinion/experience
Logo LEDs are an alternative, just have to understand and accept the risks. They illuminate much better than the 50 CP bulbs, but LEDs do not focus/pattern properly.

When comparing the 50 CP to LEDs, I found the difference astounding at how much further down the road I could see with the LEDs, on both low and high beams.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
DHZIEMAN

If you are into the focussing thing, it is best to get your reflectors resilvered and use original bulbs (in my opinion) But, if you just want bright lights that cannot be totally focussed as originals and want to keep the current drain down, then LED's are the way to go. There is a company in england that had some that you had to know what polarity you wanted as they sold 6v, 12v and both pos and neg ground. And, I will share what I did and after it was done, I do not reccomend what I did. I installed 6 volt sealed beam adapters, and halogen sealed beams (which also do not focus right but are very bright) The downside is the current drain, and with a 3 brush generator, I was having to crank up the Amps for night driving, which during the day kind of was boiling the battery unless I drove with my headlights on. So I replaced the gen with a 6 volt alternator, and solve the boiling the battery issue. Had I had it to do all over again, I would have got my reflectors re-silverd and bought the 6v Pos ground LED's from England and been done with it!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

This may be the English company. I bought LED stop and tail lamps from them.

Lots of interesting info if you read teh entire site.

www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
This may be the English company. I bought LED stop and tail lamps from them.

Lots of interesting info if you read teh entire site.

www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
Thanks for posting the site! it is the one!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #12
dumb person

Pro Better battery life.
Cons Depends on what model you buy and how you fit it.
And more sensitive to voltage spikes.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
Keith True

I didn't know they are sensitive to voltage spikes.The bulbs I bought from England don't care if you have 6 or 12 volts put to them.They are also not polarity sensitive.Those are the BA15-D part numbers.My two cents are,I bought a set to try out.I am a cheap SOB,and I am ordering four more sets.I have five sets of halogens from the Little British Car Company,and while I really like them,I am giving them to some friends now.Somebody has built the better mousetrap.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I didn't know they are sensitive to voltage spikes.The bulbs I bought from England don't care if you have 6 or 12 volts put to them.They are also not polarity sensitive.Those are the BA15-D part numbers.My two cents are,I bought a set to try out.I am a cheap SOB,and I am ordering four more sets.I have five sets of halogens from the Little British Car Company,and while I really like them,I am giving them to some friends now.Somebody has built the better mousetrap.

You are correct, just more misinformation Keith. LEDs are not sensitive to voltage spike. Most that I have experienced with operate between 5 volts up to 24 volts, -and anything in-between..

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
Keith True

What is a surprise to me is that they are not polarity sensitive.I thought the very nature of a diode was to be one-way.From what I see most misinformation comes down the guy on the street from higher up.I was at a little seminar for chainsaw dealers a few years ago,and the rep was there giving a talk.He was telling us to shake our saws when they sat for more than 20 minutes.I thought it was to mix the synthetic oil they wanted us to use,but it wasn't.He said the new oils mix fine with alcohol,but the alcohol started it's phase separation in minutes.We couldn't believe a factory rep could be so ignorant of fact,and was out there preaching it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
What is a surprise to me is that they are not polarity sensitive.I thought the very nature of a diode was to be one-way.
True, the LED is a diode that happens to emit light and requires correct polarity. A bridge rectifier (AC/DC converter) can be inserted in series to change it to the correct direction. It also requires a current limiter in series to prevent burning out the led. What surprises me is the things can operate at only 5V, since all the series components cause a significant voltage drop across them. But I assume the manufacturers know what they're talking about.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #17
Synchro909

From what I have seen, the reported problems focusing LED headlights only applies to the rather poor US ones. I have seen the cut offs achieved by the Australian made ones and I have no issue with them what so ever.

Last edited by Synchro909; 05-19-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #18
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
From what I have seen, the reported problems focusing LED headlights only applies to the rather poor US ones. I have seen the cut offs achieved by the Australian made ones and I have no issue with them what so ever.

Please provide a link to the good Australian ones you use.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
blgitn

I wonder how these would perform on a T with mag lights. The lights are powered by the magneto, from 5 to (maybe) 30 volts. Has anybody tried this yet?
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Please provide a link to the good Australian ones you use.

Thanks
Here you go!
http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

He is at Hershey each year and says that his best sales people are people who have already bought them! I'm also running his red LEDs in my stop lights. Don't look directly into them when they are lit, is all I can say.

While they cost us a few dollars (what good stuff come cheap?), the exchange rate will mean you pay wayyy less.