Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
lotsagas4u

Default Rear motor mounts/ clutch adjustment

Hello, have newly rebuilt engine in my 31 pickup, having trouble with clutch adjustment. It has the V8 clutch/PP. Fingers are adjusted correctly. Have pedal adjusted about 1 inch free play. Have inspection cover off, throw out bearing is not turning. Can shift through all gears when stopped without grinding. When starting out in first, it is jerky, feels like slippage. I thought rear mounts could be too tight. They are new rubbers from Snyder's with original mounts. Transmission is newly rebuilt also. Any thoughts on this problem? Any thing else to check? Thanks
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Rear motor mounts/ clutch adjustment

Had a similar problem. The previous owner put in a V-8 clutch which chattered badly when starting out in first. I noticed the clutch disk was the heavy duty, many rivets type. I could not find anything out of spec. I decided to change out the heavy duty disk for a standard duty unit and problem solved. Don't know if I had a parts incompatibility problem - seemed like the heavy duty unit "grabbed" while the standard unit softly rubbed. Let us know what you discover.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #3
jeepguy1948

I'm having that same issue myself! As soon as I feel up to going thru the hassle of getting the tranny out again I'll try a different disc. is a different disc needed for the V8 pressure plate? Or can I use my orignal stock disc that has about 200 miles on it?
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:21 PM   #4
jw hash

make sure you have not sheared off your rear hub key. that happened to a friends 41 pick up. he was driving it around before they found the problem.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #5
Lightman7

Quote:
Originally Posted by '28 RPU View Post
I'm having that same issue myself! As soon as I feel up to going thru the hassle of getting the tranny out again I'll try a different disc. is a different disc needed for the V8 pressure plate? Or can I use my orignal stock disc that has about 200 miles on it?
You should use the stock clutch disk - the V8 clutch disk has slightly different dimensions.
Lightman7 is offline   Reply With Quote