Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default Vent Assy Install 56 Hardtop

Things just don't go together .....easy, do they?

Driver's window installed and lowered for the install of the Vent Assembly.

While manipulating the Division Bar Door Glass Run, it travels outside the Connecting Link for the Window Regulator instead of inside towards the passenger compartment.

Anyone out there do this procedure?
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Vent Assy Install 56 Hardtop

The way I've always done it, is with the scissors assembly for the window regulator unbolted and lowered down to the bottom inside the door. You insert the door window glass and lower it carefully to the bottom so it rests on the scissors and leave all that there till you get the vent window assembly installed.
Insert the bottom of the vent window glass run into the door slot till the bottom bracket is down inside the slot, then twist it so that the vent window is facing the right direction. Be careful here, the vent window should be tilted backward a bit then straightened out once you get it all the way down. I seem to recall some slight manipulation to align the vent window glass run bottom bracket to mate with the bracket behind the door structure. Put the two bolts in it loosely for now. Lift the door window up thru the rectangular hole on the back of the door structure and slide the rollers into the window bottom channel and get a wooden stick to hold up the assembly far enough to access the glass run on both front and back. scoot the front of the glass into its run and hold it while manipulating the back of the glass into its run and bolt the back bottom glass run to the bracket on the back of the door structure. Now the window glass is in the front and back glass runs. Install the two philips screws into the backside of the vent window mount loosely and make a preliminary adjustment to keep the door glass in the glass runs. No bolts are tight yet, just snug for later adjustment.
Now, lift the entire window/scissors assembly high enough to get the bolts started thru the back of the door structure into the scissor mount. It may be necessary to have the window regulator arm that links to the scissors removed, but it is just a pin and spring clip to remove. I believe you can just slide it's roller out also.
Once everything is all assembled, window adjustments can be done and all bolts/screws can be tightened.
The car Shop Manual has a procedure for installing the door windows, so if you have a shop manual, it has good illustrations and description of installation.
My method of installation may vary from the Shop manual, but I have found my method to be easier for me, but may not be for somebody else due to their size of arms, hands, etc.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote