Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
pklarkin

Default Sector Shaft Bushings don't match

Hi folks,

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope all had a great holiday.

I've started a rebuild of the 7-tooth steering column on my 1929 and the rebuild kit came with two sector shaft bushings that look different from the ones that were in the sector shaft housing. I checked on each parts suppliers' websites and that seems to be intentional. The biggest difference I can see is that the inner old bushing has a hole for what would appear to be grease. My understanding is that the housing is supposed to contain oil, so I'm not sure if the lack of a hole is to prevent using that fitting for grease. Below at top is a picture of one of the new bushings (they're identical) as well as the pair of the old ones at the bottom. I suppose I could install the new bushing and then drill a hole through the fitting hole, but wanted to check with you all first.

Thanks as always for your insights!

Regards,

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushings.jpg (28.2 KB, 36 views)
pklarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Brian T

Default Re: Sector Shaft Bushings don't match

Hi Pat,
If I remember the sector originally had an oil passage to oil the inside bushing, it was then deleted with the replacement sectors and the fitting was to be installed, see SB 281, anyone with a grease gun unknowingly would add grease to the box, wrong move by Henry?,
Old 11-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
pklarkin

Thanks Brian. I was thinking same based on the reading I was doing. I'll leave it out. Thanks for the insight.
pklarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
GRutter

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If memory serves, on the 1928 7 tooth gearboxes, the sector was greased, the gearbox itself uses 600 wt oil. There is no passage for oil in the gearbox to lubricate the sector bushings if the sector is fitted correctly.

The hole in the sector housing for greasing the bushings will likely be blocked by the new, longer, replacement bushings. You should make sure that you can grease the outer bushing. The grease should also be able to fill the space between the two bushings so that grease can lubricate the inner bushing. Look at the grooves in the bushings and make sure you are installing them facing the right way (lube from the center of the sector housing).

You may need to grind a groove in the outer bushing to allow grease to travel from the outer bushing to the space between them.

The last one of these I rebuilt, I fitted the bushings, installed the sector shaft, then greased so I could look at how it was being lubricated.

Don't be concerned that the bushing is longer, it will provide additional bearing surface for the sector shaft, but do make sure that you can lubricate it correctly.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote