Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Top Curtain "Container"

Too chilly to play in the garage and anxiously pacing the floor awaiting JS revisions … so have gone back to my files!

Pg #38 of the Body Parts List shows an interesting item (at least to me) …
“(A-42330) CONTAINER (TOP CURTAIN) ASSY.”

I have never heard of/seen this item ... can someone enlighten me as to its size/material/shape etc. I envision an oversized pouch for storing the curtains … similar to the tool bag. Photos of original or repro much appreciated.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
Stew Masche

Default Re: Top Curtain "Container"

At one time my father had a nice 31 DeLuxe Roadster, and I remember it had a brown leatherette pouch, for storing the side curtains. Seems the material closely matched the upholstery, and as you say, it was similar to an overgrown tool pouch. That was over 40 years ago, I'm guessing the size was close to 30" x 18" or so, and was stored in the rumble seat compartment. Sorry, no photos of the pouch, only that recollection.
I'm sure you'll get a more specific answer on this.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
sawzall

while I am not versed on Model A part numbers.. the Model a station wagon does have a Curtain Pan..
perhaps that the part number?

if it is.. the "pan" is a box that attaches UNDER the rear floor of a Model a wagon. it has a lid that hinges down to allow the curtains to slide inside. this arrangement WASN'T a great idea.. as later wagons (with curtains) were designed to allow the curtains to slide UP into the roof area.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
Too chilly to play in the garage and anxiously pacing the floor awaiting JS revisions … so have gone back to my files!

Pg #38 of the Body Parts List shows an interesting item (at least to me) …
“(A-42330) CONTAINER (TOP CURTAIN) ASSY.”

I have never heard of/seen this item ... can someone enlighten me as to its size/material/shape etc. I envision an oversized pouch for storing the curtains … similar to the tool bag. Photos of original or repro much appreciated.
Here you go Charles..
The yo-yo doesn't show clear,...about 29" X 10",..I think it's a "T" by the side
curtains in side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2489.JPG (205.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2490.JPG (201.9 KB, 63 views)
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Bruce

For our Roadster Pickup we used a vinyl artist folio. The notebook-shaped folio has zippers to keep the curtains inside. A thin sheet of foam between the windows kept them from rubbing and scratching each other.
Buy the correct size -- for your curtains -- at the artist store.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
D.J. I've never seen a narrow bag for curtains, and would never think of folding them for storage. I saw Don Turley's mid 30's curtain bag, and it stores the curtains flat with no folds. My 28 Phaeton curtain pan is under the rear floor and stores the curtains flat, but I want to make a bag for them so they stay clean.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
Charles Reese

I should add that I have an open pickup so assume curtains were kept under the seat cushion. Since the curtains will see little use, like TW, I want to keep them clean and proctected.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
d.j. moordigian

Tom & Charles,

This bag was in the garbage and I saved it. The bag, I think is an original,..BUT for a "T".
The curtains have been redone / repops,..the curtain material is not the same as the bag.
The right side has a flap for the door latch, the left side has none,..which I think (best
shot) 1925 and earlier.

Charles;...is that part number, for "maffi", work for 28's,...no curtain tray pans? You know what I'm asking?

Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Tom & Charles,

Charles;...is that part number, for "maffi", work for 28's,...no curtain tray pans? You know what I'm asking?
Yes, see attached! However, since it states 'assembly' possibly this is refering to what some are calling 'curtain tray pan'.

after reviewing the MAFFI site more closely, i now assume 'assembly' refers to a completed item ... for example, a side curtain is made from numerous 'parts' (subasembly), each with its own unique 'part' number (i.e., MAFFI list). once they are sewn together, the completed curtain is considered an 'assembly' and has its unique number. a consumer would buy a completed 'assembly' (i.e.curtain), not the various sub-parts.

i'm assuming too, that the 'container' i started the thread with is NOT what one might call a 'boot' that covers the roadster/phaeton top when folded down onto the body. even though my truck is called 'open' pickup, the top does not fold down.

bottom line, how do i properly store my side curtains/curtain rods when not in use. there is room under the seat ... but it is a 'bear' (kind word) to remove/install ... and seems something should protect the rods from rattling around and the clear 'lites' (clear plastic) from scratching. i assume too, the tool bag/jack, etc were also stored under the seat.

"Inquiring minds (i.e., OCD) want to know ..."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (20.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Charles Reese; 12-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.