Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Bruce

Default Re: 1925 Franklin ?

The Franklin Museum at The Gilmore is impressive. But I really like the one at Tucson. That one has two touring cars that have V12 engines. You can't see much of the engines because they have shrouds to move the air across the fins. That does not spoil the view, though. Great colors, too.
Next time your are in Michigan ... or Arizona ... make the visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Touring.jpg (73.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg v12.jpg (65.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Frankly.jpg (89.8 KB, 88 views)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #22
Steve Wastler

Default Re: 1925 Franklin ? UPDATE

So I informed the owner we needed to drain the tank and check for compression. He had drained the tank a few days ago, and added a couple gallons of fresh fuel. Since it has individual valve covers, we removed them to visually verify there were no stuck valves, and observed the valve train operating as it should. With plugs out, compression check showed all 6 within 2-3 lbs of each other, mid 50's psi.

Removed the carb to find it very dirty internally. The brass fuel filter in the carb is pretty much Swiss cheese and wouldn't stop small rocks. Needle valve was not sealing to the seat, jets plugged and so forth. Cleaned it up, put it back together, fired it up, same issue fuel coming out exhaust manifold flange.

So as I'm looking at the glass sediment bowl and thinking how good this gas looked, and it hit me, the vacuum tank had not been drained. Grabbed a jar and opened the petcock, well, there is were the fuel issue lay. The crap that came out, surely was unburnable and is what was coming out #6. Filled the vacuum tank with fresh fuel, started it up, no fluid leak at rear cylinder and it (#6) is firing.

starts quick, but is running really rich. Found an original service manual on eBay, he should have it in a week. Will probably go thru carb again, and see if we can make or find a filter screen, and will be able to adjust carb according to manual. This carb is quite complex, makes a zenith appear so freaking primitive. Looks to need plug wires as insulation was melting near the plug end clip, must be loose inside the end.

Attached is a pic of the stuff from the vacuum tank, no wonder it wouldn't burn, and boy did it ever stink! Will be about a week or more before my next visit, but am making good headway on a vehicle that has been stored a significant time with numerous issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.4 KB, 54 views)
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #23
BlueSunoco

Neat car thanks for posting
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

I used to save the old filters from automatic transmissions because some of them has a nice piece of fine mesh brass screen. At the Iola swap meet I bought a roll of fine brass screen, and the seller said it was a Harley oil filter. I've never been in a smoke shop, but I've heard they also sell fine mesh brass screen.

I'd visit a local tranny shop and see if they don't have some old filters they would give you.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #25
mhsprecher

Cool.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #26
KR500

I believe it is never wise to start a car that has not been run in so many years. What was reason it was parked. It is not worth damaging an engine without knowing what the condition of the oil pan, oil, oil pump gears, pistons, corrosion in head, especially if aluminum,carburetor(cork float)vacuum tank (internals) and especially fuel. A bit of educated diligence can save a nice engine's life span.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:17 AM   #27
Steve Wastler

Cars history documented back to day one. 1st and second family owners were mechanics. Oral history of leading up to runtime failure and subsequent storage. Owner wasn't interested in entire rebuild, just wanted an already completely restored car running.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #28
nkaminar

I went to the Franklin Museum in Tucson today. Very impressive. From 1904 to 1934. They have a 32 V12 Sport Phaeton. Some other makes there too: A 1930 Chevy, a 1931 Model A, and some 30's Packards. The building with the really old cars was closed because it was fumigated. They will re open that building next week. They found some bugs in the upholstery of one of the cars so that fumigated the whole building. This is a small museum with about 20 cars.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #29
nkaminar

Some photos:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Franklin 1.jpg (105.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Franklin 2.jpg (46.3 KB, 66 views)
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote