Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
popeye

Default installing juice brakes on 38

Got a 38 with 36K one owner miles. Would like to swap out the mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes. Car will be here the first of DEC.

Have the 39 pedal and MC, going to send the MC to get a stainless steel lining.
Have 40 rear backing plates

Need the front backing plates, steel lines and hoses.
What about the E-brake, how do I hook it up??
What else should I look for or any installation tips?????
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Shadetree

Default Re: installing juice brakes on 38

Popeye,
No doubt hydraulic brakes are superior to mechanical, but a friend persuaded me to try Flathead Ted’s Floaters first. I tried them with new soft brake liners and I am happy with them. At first I was disappointed as I had to adjust them so often. The linings had to wear in to match the hubs. It has been over a year now since I have adjusted them.

Both mechanical and hydraulic brakes have their advantages and disadvantages on our old Fords. It is just another option that you may want to consider.

Shadetree
Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
40cpe

My '38 was converted when I got it. The E-brake handle operates a rock-shaft. The actuating cable fom the handle is connected to the shaft on the driver' side of the frame center section and the emerg brake cables are connected to the shaft on the passenger side of the center section. The cables leave the backing plates and go over the wishbone and barely touch the tops of the bones. I think they would be alright without any guides, but I'm going to fabricate one guide on each side of the wishbones to keep them from chaffing the cables.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
DICK SPADARO

One of the easiest ways to lay out this conversion is to use the reference picture on Page 24 of the (Green Bible) Ford parts book. This blow up is for 40 -48 but the outline is similar for your 38. You use the 40 emergency brake cable instead of the 38. Dont bother sending out your master cylinder. If you have an old crusty one just replace it unless you store your car in a damp environment it should not be a problem.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Jack E/NJ

Shadetree>>> try Flathead Ted’s Floaters first >>>

x2

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I would agree with the guys that are telling you to upgrade your mechanical system with floaters/equalizers, woven brake shoe linings, fine tune adjustments, etc., first before thinking about converting to hydraulics. If/when you decide to go hydraulic, give Richard Lacy (Early V8 Garage) a call and discuss your best options for converting to hydraulics. He offers a complete well designed system that requires no drilling or other modifications to install. The master cylinder mounts to the frame using a special bracket and your stock brake pedal assembly works the master cylinder. He also offers all preformed lines and fittings for the complete assembly. He is a member here so you can contact him by PM or Email as well.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
Gary in Mozarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Got a 38 with 36K one owner miles. Would like to swap out the mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes. Car will be here the first of DEC.

Have the 39 pedal and MC, going to send the MC to get a stainless steel lining.
Have 40 rear backing plates

Need the front backing plates, steel lines and hoses.
What about the E-brake, how do I hook it up??
What else should I look for or any installation tips?????
If it were me, and I was going to go to that much trouble, I would go to a dual master cylinder instead of upgrading a single. (which is what I did) Ive never tried it, but I trust the guys on the forum. sounds like the floaters would be the simpliest route.

Gary
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Popeye,
No doubt hydraulic brakes are superior to mechanical, but a friend persuaded me to try Flathead Ted’s Floaters first. I tried them with new soft brake liners and I am happy with them. At first I was disappointed as I had to adjust them so often. The linings had to wear in to match the hubs. It has been over a year now since I have adjusted them.

Both mechanical and hydraulic brakes have their advantages and disadvantages on our old Fords. It is just another option that you may want to consider.

Shadetree
One of the disadvantages of the hydraulic brakes that I have experienced was if you don't drive it often (while in storage or parked for the winter) the wheel cylinders tend to go to heck. I have experienced this on a 46 coupe that didn't get driven throughout the winter. I was always repairing wheel cylinders in the spring. Hydraulic brakes work best when used often. Where as the mechanical brake system doesn't care when how often it is used. I have the brake floater set up on my model A and it stops with no problems.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
ford38v8

I installed floaters on my '38 and am totally satisfied with the results. I use molded shoes, not woven, and it stops on a dime. I can't tell you about the manufacture of my floaters, as I got them at a swap meet, and I haven't seen flathead Ted's floaters, but believe they are designed for the earlier brakes, not the '37-'38. The adjuster bore on the '37-'38 is straight through, while the earlier bores angle off, so Ted's floaters must be way different than my simple star adjusted with a spoon. Ted, are you there? Shed some light here?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
sturgis 39

I would recommend Richard Lacy. The dual master cylinder are not completely independent as one would think. If one system fails the pedal has to travel a long distance and you may still may not have brakes to stop the car. I had a 38 with mechanical brakes and they worked fine. I have a 39 now with hydraulic brakes and there is no difference.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
37ford4dr

i have all the parts to do the conversion but have not done it yet....my parts were assembled by a mechanical engineer who worked on old fords for fun and he just never got around to installing these on his car so i bought them....other then what you mentioned he has an emergency brake mechanism and cable from something in the parts box and the backing plates need different grease boxes (the square boxes that are in side attached to the backing plates). you also need the tabs for welding to the frame for the hose connections. what ae you going to do for wheel cylinders? get old ones relined or just buy new ones?

Last edited by 37ford4dr; 11-18-2011 at 02:49 PM.
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
popeye

Never heard of the floaters..........will have to check them out.
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
37ford4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye View Post
Never heard of the floaters..........will have to check them out.
let me know what you find out and what you want to do, i am in the same position. i have found that having my 19yr old college student who is 6'3" and 220 driving the car makes the brakes feel great. i hypothesize that his powerfull legs can exercise the cables better then my short old legs. maybe when these were driven everyday the brake cables stayed nice and "free" thks bob
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote